• No
  2. 2. If Yes, Award The C To Whom?

• Grier
    • Gaustad
    • Vanek
    • Other

Gaustad.

Why is he not the captain already?

My choice is taking into account the poor play this year.

I thought he was the obvious choice before they gave it to Rivet.

It was always interesting that mangement talked about locking up the core young players, but then gave the C to a relative newcomer.

WTF

Goose may need that C to drive him to be the player he can be all the time.

I don't think Vanek would make a good captain.

If they acquire Marleau, he can wear it (disregarding my above hypocritcal statements).

Dream on, numbskull (me)!

Give the "C" to Vanek. He can't do any worse than what Rivet has done.

Hey, at least they took a chance and signed TO last summer.

What would the hockey equivalent be to that signing?

Interesting question... In hockey there's no place for players who are lazy but still good.

I was going to say... Chelios for being past his prime but still playing? Bertuzzi or Avery for being jackasses? Whoin the NHL is known as a "locker room cancer"?

Interesting question... In hockey there's no place for players who are lazy but still good.

I was going to say... Chelios for being past his prime but still playing? Bertuzzi or Avery for being jackasses? Whoin the NHL is known as a "locker room cancer"?

Olli Jokinen, Chris Pronger, Phil Kessel. Just rumors.

Its obvious no one on this team other than the old grizzled vet Rivet is captain material.Its the only reason for rotating in years past.I have'nt seen any leadership from the current roster but then again I'm not in the locker room or involved in the team dynamic.So based on the only other criteria left which is leadership through actions on the ice I come to the conclusion that there is no one that can step in and lead on this current roster.

Give it to Kaleta, end of story. He's the soul of the team.

I don't know if Kaleta is captain material, but I loved this quote from a couple of days ago and wish the Sabres had more players who felt the same way he does.

"I know for sure [what fans are thinking]," Kaleta said. "It's disappointing. It's my job now to not disappoint those fans. I'm going to do my best and work as hard as I possibly can to bring something home to Buffalo because the fans deserve it."

If Vanek were more of an extrovert, I would have no problem w/ him wearing the "C". Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but he comes off as being far too soft spoken and gets too frustrated when he doesn't make a play for me to see him as Captain "C" material. That said, I wouldn't mind him wearing an "A".

I would really like to see the Sabres bring in a top line center (Brad Richards type maybe) that could wear the "C". Although I wouldn't mind Vanek wearing an "A", I'd really prefer to see the 2 "A's" supporting that top line center be Rivet and Grier. Unless they bring in a "leadership" top line center, I wouldn't pull the "C" off Rivet.

See: Chris Drury, noted extrovert. :rolleyes:

I'd prefer to see Grier with the "C"

With Rivet having what seems to be serious shoulder surgery this summer, the perfect opportunity has arisen to strip Craig of the captaincy.

Should the Sabres award the C to another player?

Rivet seems to be a solid vet with some leadership skill, but his poor play all season long cannot be overlooked. I think it's time we elected a new captain.

While I'm inclined to hand him the captaincy, another option peaks my interest: Thomas Vanek. Paul Hamilton recently proposed awarding Vanek the captaincy. While he admits it's a huge chance, and could result in a tremendous flop, the dividends could be huge. We've seen him struggle back and forth since signing his 50 million dollar contract. Could this be the confidence boost he needs to finally put his game over the top? Or would he crumble underneath the pressure of being Captain? Is it worth taking a shot?

~ Hamilton

Yes, Rivet has served his time. I'm sorry, i have nothing against the man. I feel he plays with alot of heart. Maybe one of the best players that exemplifies this on our team. But i just think his body is not where it needs to be to have a big of a role on this team as he should. I think he deserve's an "A", but not the captincy.

Which brings up this haunting question...

Is any player on this team captain material?

I'd say give it to 25, as you suggested, but Grier is short term. We need a long term captain, or at least a guy who can wear it for 2 years. If Grier has that much time in him, and he wants to play here, lets do it. But Grier is after a cup, this a guarantee, is does the core have the same dream? Or are they out there for the checks?

But nothing is gauranteed. Especially when it comes to hockey players over 35, particularly grinders.

I cant even think of anyone outside of Mike Grier.

Surly not the following guys, though some are alot more suited than others

Montador

Myers( isn't ready for this yet)

Sekera (haha, thats a good joke)

Butler

Lydman (will he be here?)

Tallinder (will he be here ?, not "C" material anyway)

Roy

Pominville

Connolly

Stafford

Kaleta

Ellis

Ennis

Gerbe

Now onto the players worthy of a C

Vanek,

As talked about above. This guy has been so back and forth, its often hard to tell if hes going to even get a shot on goal, let alone a great shift or 2 in a game. But he showed everyone that he can be THE MAN for this team during the post. And maybe by giving him a consistent responsibility it might bring the best out of his game.

I'll tell you one thing that is certain, he'd have to look in the locker room mirror and think to himself, "I'm the captain, i gotta step it up!" regardless of his performance that night, or even if its not during the game that night.

Its this aspect of self review that gives this experiment a wild flare of intrigue. Can Vanek step up this challenge? I believe he can, but he has to will himself into this state of mind. There cannot be anymore hiding if he gets this letter on his jersey.

I think this would make him focus harder on his game, and maybe rub off on others. He certainly has the makings of a Captain, plus hes young, and i dont think hes going anywhere for a long time.

This would be a good move,but it can also back fire very fast. Its a fine line here, and its not something that can be reverted easily. Imagine Vanek losing the C in janurary because of poor performace?

So again, let the players vote. That's how a captain should be chosen. My bet is that if Grier is here next year, he might get it. And after that, it's going to belong to a really tall defenseman.

Now onto the players worthy of a C

Vanek,

As talked about above. This guy has been so back and forth, its often hard to tell if hes going to even get a shot on goal, let alone a great shift or 2 in a game. But he showed everyone that he can be THE MAN for this team during the post. And maybe by giving him a consistent responsibility it might bring the best out of his game.

I'll tell you one thing that is certain, he'd have to look in the locker room mirror and think to himself, "I'm the captain, i gotta step it up!" regardless of his performance that night, or even if its not during the game that night.

Its this aspect of self review that gives this experiment a wild flare of intrigue. Can Vanek step up this challenge? I believe he can, but he has to will himself into this state of mind. There cannot be anymore hiding if he gets this letter on his jersey.

I think this would make him focus harder on his game, and maybe rub off on others. He certainly has the makings of a Captain, plus hes young, and i dont think hes going anywhere for a long time.

This would be a good move,but it can also back fire very fast. Its a fine line here, and its not something that can be reverted easily. Imagine Vanek losing the C in janurary because of poor performace?

Vanek already has the pressure of being the big ticket goal scorer. The 'C' will do more damage than good. I fall back to giving it to Pominville. He never played as well as when he wore it for that month at the end of season.

i love grier, but you can't make that guy captain. the fact that he was our best player against boston is not to exalt him so much as it is an indictment of the rest of the forwards.

you give it to vanek. he's supposed to be the man- he's sure being paid like he is. and if your highest paid guy and can't live up the responsibility, you ship him out.

i love grier, but you can't make that guy captain. the fact that he was our best player against boston is not to exalt him so much as it is an indictment of the rest of the forwards.

you give it to vanek. he's supposed to be the man- he's sure being paid like he is. and if your highest paid guy and can't live up the responsibility, you ship him out.

He's living up to being the teams #1 goal scorer. That's what he is getting paid for. Not being the Captain.

So again, let the players vote. That's how a captain should be chosen. My bet is that if Grier is here next year, he might get it. And after that, it's going to belong to a really tall defenseman.

QFT,

That is how I also believe it should be done.

Vanek already has the pressure of being the big ticket goal scorer. The 'C' will do more damage than good. I fall back to giving it to Pominville. He never played as well as when he wore it for that month at the end of season.

Yes, but he may need some motivation. Putting that letter on his jersey is about as much motivation as you can get. I dont want to see him crumble under the pressure, but he needs to be at the top of his game, if this team is going to get to the next level.

I dont trust Pominville. The guy hasn't scored up to his potential since that season. Remember we always thought Pomm was going to hit 30 every year? So much for that!?

If anyone thinks it's anyone other than the players that pick the captain they've never been a part of a hockey teams dynamic at any level.The players pick the captain and it's usually the person with the strongest personality or the alpha.The leader will surface in any team dynamic whether its in business,warfare,team sports or a dogpack.Thats why Rivet surfaced as captain for this team.He was the only one strong enough to take it on and his teammates knew it.

No doubt. If they made a single move this summer, I would honestly be shocked.

Perhaps now, when expectations are so insanely low, Regier will make a move. Or maybe not. :doh:

what free agent signings did you like that were made last summer by any NHL team?

If anyone thinks it's anyone other than the players that pick the captain they've never been a part of a hockey teams dynamic at any level.The players pick the captain and it's usually the person with the strongest personality or the alpha.The leader will surface in any team dynamic whether its in business,warfare,team sports or a dogpack.Thats why Rivet surfaced as captain for this team.He was the only one strong enough to take it on and his teammates knew it.

Agreed. Let Rivet keep the "C" for his last year and give it to Myers in 2011-12 and let him have it for the next decade.

I fall back to giving it to Pominville. He never played as well as when he wore it for that month at the end of season.

May have just been a coincidence. His numbers seem to go up around the end of the season each year. Happened last year and this year, as well.

Regarless of how you slice is, Pommer isn't worth the money they pay him. And you can make that point about Vanek, TC, Hecht and Rivet as well. But he just sticks out to me soo much. Maybe its because he play's every game? Maybe its because his bad tendencies madden me? Or perhaps its because i flat out dislike this guy.

I would like to see my favourite player as captain also next season. If he was voted, I believe he has what it takes. But I also know the only ones who really KNOW who should be the captain are players. If they want to take it from him, that`s the best. In that case I hope team will let him go and let him keep his pride. After all, he has showed so much heart for this team. Grier showed also, but not any more than Rivet. Fans always think that if he doesn`t bring the cup, he is not good enough. But I think team like this could not have been so good on regular season with bad captain.

Archived