So who should the Sabres Target in the upcoming draft

North Buffalo

This could be our boy? 6-5? Any thoughts?

20. Nick Bjugstad, 6-5, 190, center, Blaine High School (Minnesota)

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/allan_muir/11/06/2010.draft.preview/1.html#ixzz0mQTghQyA

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

This could be our boy? 6-5? Any thoughts?

20. Nick Bjugstad, 6-5, 190, center, Blaine High School (Minnesota)

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/allan_muir/11/06/2010.draft.preview/1.html#ixzz0mQTghQyA

Looks like a decent prospect, by the time he gets here, Miller is ready to retire and Vanek is losing what little legs he has.

But, he does appear to be a great future prospect with potential, good find.

Also, this guys sounds decent too and can score... 14. Emerson Etem, 6-0, 194, center, Medicine Hat Tigers

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/allan_muir/11/06/2010.draft.preview/1.html#ixzz0mQUO875e

Ok, I'll up the offer than, you may not like it, but it gets us our center.

To BUF

Eric Staal

To CAR

Ryan Miller

Drew Stafford

Straight up trade, a 2 for 1.

Bring up Enroth for goaltending duties or pick one up. But there is your stud Center. :thumbsup:

So your ready for a 40 to 50 goals against incline in favor of a more offensive punch?

I understand we dont have much value on this roster. But we have prospects and picks with value. And we have some players with value. Darcy has to find a way to make it work. You cannot trade the biggest fundamental component to our team, just because he has the most value.

And for Eric Stall? Wouldn't you want Ryan Getzalf over him?

I'm sorry Miller isn't moving,ever.

So your ready for a 40 to 50 goals against incline in favor of a more offensive punch?

I understand we dont have much value on this roster. But we have prospects and picks with value. And we have some players with value. Darcy has to find a way to make it work. You cannot trade the biggest fundamental component to our team, just because he has the most value.

And for Eric Stall? Wouldn't you want Ryan Getzalf over him?

I'm sorry Miller isn't moving,ever.

I laugh when I read stuff like the high lighted line. I've been around since the teams inception. I heard the same thing about players such as Gare, Martin, Robert, Barraso, Molginy, Hasek, snd the list goes on.

In professional sports players are merely commodities, or tools if you will, tools to be used as a means to an end. The end being a championship caliber team. If Miller has to go to better the team, then he goes. He is certainly not as good as some of the players that have contributed in the past, Hasek would be my prime example here.

But, I will concede, you are correct, Miller is not going anywhere for the duration of this current contract unless he demands to. I often say this, fans that fall in love with individual players is not a bad thing, but after 40 years as a fan (and I was guilty of it as well, the French Connection, Patty and Alex, Hasek) I'll take a Stanley Cup here in Buffalo over Ryan Miller, thank you very much.

I laugh when I read stuff like the high lighted line. I've been around since the teams inception. I heard the same thing about players such as Gare, Martin, Robert, Barraso, Molginy, Hasek, snd the list goes on.

In professional sports players are merely commodities, or tools if you will, tools to be used as a means to an end. The end being a championship caliber team. If Miller has to go to better the team, then he goes. He is certainly not as good as some of the players that have contributed in the past, Hasek would be my prime example here.

But, I will concede, you are correct, Miller is not going anywhere for the duration of this current contract unless he demands to. I often say this, fans that fall in love with individual players is not a bad thing, but after 40 years as a fan (and I was guilty of it as well, the French Connection, Patty and Alex, Hasek) I'll take a Stanley Cup here in Buffalo over Ryan Miller, thank you very much.

agreed

I think any sane person would trade Miller for a cup, in theory.

But my point is, Trading Miller for Eric Stall makes this team worse. There is no way Enroth comes in and plays at the NHL for good stretches of time. Not without premium NHL experience. He has played one career NHL game. Hes not ready. Now if he was inserted as Millers backup for 2 seasons, and got some signifigant playing time, and showed promise, then i might entertain the idea

And i believe Miller would command more than Eric Stall in a trade. Thats another reason i dislike your idea. Especially after the year hes had. I wouldn't be surprised if trading Miller would bring in a top center and a 1st round pick from some team.

I think any sane person would trade Miller for a cup, in theory.

But my point is, Trading Miller for Eric Stall makes this team worse. There is no way Enroth comes in and plays at the NHL for good stretches of time. Not without premium NHL experience. He has played one career NHL game. Hes not ready. Now if he was inserted as Millers backup for 2 seasons, and got some signifigant playing time, and showed promise, then i might entertain the idea

And i believe Miller would command more than Eric Stall in a trade. Thats another reason i dislike your idea. Especially after the year hes had. I wouldn't be surprised if trading Miller would bring in a top center and a 1st round pick from some team.

Well, I like your optimism on what Miller would bring in. I might put your name in the hat for the GM's job, seriously. If only Darcy could swing deals like that.

But on the Enroth situation, I'll respectfully disagree. I don't need Enroth as my starter, I'll go get Biron to start, or another that has shown the ability to atleast have some consistancy and impact at the back end.

My point is you win games by scoring goals. Not by playing 40 minutes of a 60 minute contest in your own end or in transition. The team lacks any consistant level of cohesiveness outside of Vanek and Roy, and even them 2 together were sporadic this season.

I guess what I am getting at here is what I have always stated, "you have to give to get" and right now, the Sabres needs, from my point of view in any event, are a top tier Center and a RW Power Foward that has skill and size.

Well, I like your optimism on what Miller would bring in. I might put your name in the hat for the GM's job, seriously. If only Darcy could swing deals like that.

Sarcasm is not appreciated on this front, especially when you want to trade this teams greatest player for Eric Stall.

They do need a Power Forward however. I dont think Darcy believes those type of players are worth anything :wallbash:

Sarcasm is not appreciated on this front, especially when you want to trade this teams greatest player for Eric Stall.

They do need a Power Forward however. I dont think Darcy believes those type of players are worth anything :wallbash:

I wasn't being sarcastic, seriously, I would like a GM with the actual brain power to see players for their true worth, or picks for that matter. We may have avoided the Moore and Torres trades accordingly.

Oh, and by the way, I don't take Eric Staal as light as you do. Miller is 30 yrs old next season, Staal is only 26 next season. I would not only say, but the numbers show, he has way more upside. Eric Staal centering any of our wingers would be a plus. I don't think, I know you under estimate Staal. He is not only a sniper, he is a play maker, in other words, the complete package at Center.

it's too bad mike o'connell isn't still a GM somewhere in the league...then a true franchise center could be had for a combo of TC, stafford, and a pick.

or millbury, for that matter.

oh well.

Thorton isn't a big playoff performer and is so overrated in my book. If it wasn't for Joe Pavelski the Sharks would have been is serious trouble against Colorado.

I haven't caught any of the Sharks games, but is Pavelski pretty similar to the Roy-Vanek-Afinogenov line of 2006 in that he's being matched against weaker lines thanks to playing behind guys like Thornton and Marleau (even though he is completely incapable of scoring in the playoffs)?

2010 Entry Draft prospects

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=442629

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/allan_muir/11/06/2010.draft.preview/index.html

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=550545

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/article/2009-12-15/2010-nhl-prospect-rankings-are-taking-shape

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/

Any thoughts. I still think they need to find a tough offensive center who can at least distribute. Someone with hands and speed.

I am still reading about them, but any thoughts.

What else is there to do.... play golf?

Picking around 20th? Look at the guy who is listed as No. 20 in the bold link (must be why you made it bold). Seems to be a fit to me.

Picking around 20th? Look at the guy who is listed as No. 20 in the bold link (must be why you made it bold). Seems to be a fit to me.

Sounds like a good start. Though there are other guys that appear to be able to bring it and may fall to the Sabres. As long as the guy can skate and handle the puck and has a tough side which it sounds like he does. Any other suggestions out there?

One mock draft has the Sabres picking this guy. They need a guy who put the puck in the net... This guy doesn't fit the bill... http://www.mynhldraf...NHL-Mock-Draft/

Here are the top 60 prospects. Sabres should be able to get two in the top 40 maybe more if they make some trades. Any thought on these guys? http://www.mynhldraft.com/hockeyprospect-top-60-nhl-draft-prospects/

Note: if you are going to refer to a player, don't link someone's complete first-round mock draft, link the player himself. The mock drafts change their picks over time. For example, mynhldraft has changed who they have the Sabres taking within the last week. So, saying "look who these guys have us taking" doesn't work very well.

Since I'm not making any real draft picks here (i.e., my choices can be for whatever reasons I like), there's something about a 6'2", 205 lbs center named Brock Nelson that brings a smile to my face.

Sounds like a good start. Though there are other guys that appear to be able to bring it and may fall to the Sabres. As long as the guy can skate and handle the puck and has a tough side which it sounds like he does. Any other suggestions out there?

One mock draft has the Sabres picking this guy. They need a guy who put the puck in the net... This guy doesn't fit the bill... http://www.mynhldraf...NHL-Mock-Draft/

Assuming Pitlick was who you were talking about, you really shouldn't judge his ability to score goals based on his freshman year stats. Freshmen don't generally put up the most impressive numbers. Add that to the fact that the WCHA is a very tough league to play in and also, Mankato is a very bad team.

Note: if you are going to refer to a player, don't link someone's complete first-round mock draft, link the player himself. The mock drafts change their picks over time. For example, mynhldraft has changed who they have the Sabres taking within the last week. So, saying "look who these guys have us taking" doesn't work very well.

Since I'm not making any real draft picks here (i.e., my choices can be for whatever reasons I like), there's something about a 6'2", 205 lbs center named Brock Nelson that brings a smile to my face.

Oh, I figure that, but wanted to keep the discussion going. Trying to see who might be out there that could fit the need. I am by no means an expert on this, just an instigator... prodding and poking but not pitlicking.

Archived