The Lindy Ruff Poll

PASabreFan

82 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about the idea of Lindy Ruff coaching the next generation of Sabres (Myers, Kennedy, Ennis, Gerbe, etc.)?

• Yes.
    • No.

This kind of goes to the crux of the matter, if you ask me. Should be interesting to see the results.

You're going to be surprised...I voted 'no'. If you had phrased the question differently (such as, "Should Lindy be the coach next season"), it would have been a 'yes' - because I think he has a bad cast in his top 6 right now that needs to be altered.

But it's odd, though I'm not blaming Lindy for most of the team's problems right now, I also can't describe myself as 'excited' for him to coach this next generation. You have raised an interesting conundrum...should I be on board with a coach who I'm not 'excited' about?

i feel the same way about this as i perceive lindy to feel about it: burned-out and fatigued.

i feel like a year or two away from the game would do him wonders -- he'd probably re-emerge and make a serious run with another organization -- and bully for him if he were to do so.

i'm just ready for something different. even if by "different" we mean "sh!tty" for a year or two.

i feel the same way about this as i perceive lindy to feel about it: burned-out and fatigued.

i feel like a year or two away from the game would do him wonders -- he'd probably re-emerge and make a serious run with another organization -- and bully for him if he were to do so.

i'm just ready for something different. even if by "different" we mean "sh!tty" for a year or two.

I could deal with some rebuilding for a year or two...but I don't want to go into a spiral for 5+ years...there has to be some serious thought that goes into a replacement for Lindy and/or Darcy. I'm not opposed to replacing either of them (or both)...but I don't know if Quinn or Golisano would actually be able (Golisano) or willing (Quinn) to hire smart, tough hockey personnel.

I think Golisano WANTS to win, but doesn't know enough about the hockey side of things, so he keeps Quinn around, and gives him a stake in the team. And Quinn is too in love with himself and his power to ever let a really strong hockey mind move in on his territory.

I continue to be amazed at the amount of support Lindy is getting. He had a decent team in 07-08 and 08-09 that he couldn't get in to the playoffs and then this season got the team to the post season and then flamed out against an inferior team. Yeah...keep bringing him back. <_<

I continue to be amazed at the amount of support Lindy is getting. He had a decent team in 07-08 and 08-09 that he couldn't get in to the playoffs and then this season got the team to the post season and then flamed out against an inferior team. Yeah...keep bringing him back. <_<

I think the reason that Lindy continues to get support is that many people feel the blame lies with the players (and/or Darcy). I'm of the opinion that if you were to take any other coach and put them with this exact same team the past few years, at best you'd get marginally better performances, and probably worse. For me, it's people like Connolly, Stafford, Roy and Pominville who aren't performing up to their expectations.

If Lindy needs to go, I get it...but he better be accompanied by Connolly and Stafford at the least. If he goes and those two stick around, Quinn and/or Regier really aren't paying attention.

I think the reason that Lindy continues to get support is that many people feel the blame lies with the players (and/or Darcy). I'm of the opinion that if you were to take any other coach and put them with this exact same team the past few years, at best you'd get marginally better performances, and probably worse. For me, it's people like Connolly, Stafford, Roy and Pominville who aren't performing up to their expectations.

If Lindy needs to go, I get it...but he better be accompanied by Connolly and Stafford at the least. If he goes and those two stick around, Quinn and/or Regier really aren't paying attention.

+1

I'm not entirely sure getting rid of Lindy will make this team better.

I'm very concerned that if we dump Ruff, the team will lapse back into an unorganized run n gun style of hockey. Our defense will suffer, as will Miller's performance.

Any coach will come in and appreciate Miller's effort and value. Granted that if Ownership wants to win they win follow Millers' & Vaneks' lead. :blush:

If Lindy goes, I want Regier gone with him (which is what would have to happen anyway, but just saying since Darcy is not mentioned in the poll) ... I have always been a huge supporter of Ruff but I understand the frustration and his way is not the only way.

My problem is the same as it has been for years .... I do NOT trust the guys picking the replacements.

If Lindy goes, I want Regier gone with him (which is what would have to happen anyway, but just saying since Darcy is not mentioned in the poll) ... I have always been a huge supporter of Ruff but I understand the frustration and his way is not the only way.

My problem is the same as it has been for years .... I do NOT trust the guys picking the replacements.

:thumbsup:

The best way to see what's wrong is to "fix" one thing at a time, but start at the top. Replace the GM/President first. If that front office likes Lindy, they can let him stay on and coach for a year. If they're worth their salt, they'd rid the team of the underachieving players. If the team is "successful", then keep the staff in place. If not, then address the coaches.

I'm not sure which way to vote. I've always liked Lindy (while recognizing he's no <insert Hall of Fame coach here>), but I understand everyone's frustration.

thumbsup.gif

The best way to see what's wrong is to "fix" one thing at a time, but start at the top. Replace the GM/President first. If that front office likes Lindy, they can let him stay on and coach for a year. If they're worth their salt, they'd rid the team of the underachieving players. If the team is "successful", then keep the staff in place. If not, then address the coaches.

I'm not sure which way to vote. I've always liked Lindy (while recognizing he's no <insert Hall of Fame coach here>), but I understand everyone's frustration.

Yeah that kinda sounds like what they did with Nolan though .... Even Lindy's biggest detractors would probably agree a "tryout" season would be a slap in the face. Nolan had behind-the-scenes issues with the front office; Ruff has been the good soldier every step of the way. Either you believe in him as the guy to lead your team, or you don't. He shouldn't have to try out again after all these years.

I would say something, but this is exactly how I feel.

I will admit though, that some of you guys have planted a small seed of doubt in the back of my brain. I am definitely at the point where I don't want to blame Ruff, but I might consider it.

I am definitely at the point where I don't want to blame Ruff, but I might consider it.

Let me help push you over the edge...

1. Mishandling of the backup goalie year after year after year.

2. Preferred handling of his "stars" while the same players get ripped in the media and sent to the press box(Stafford, Sekera, Max, Kotalik, etc...)

3. Player development has stalled or regressed in many cases. Has not been able to get these guys to be more consistent.

4. This one is just a hunch, but I think Lindy has become too comfortable. Does anyone believe that Lindy goes in Darcy's office and demands roster change?

Are you any closer to the edge now? :)

:worthy:

Let me help push you over the edge...

1. Mishandling of the backup goalie year after year after year.

2. Preferred handling of his "stars" while the same players get ripped in the media and sent to the press box(Stafford, Sekera, Max, Kotalik, etc...)

3. Player development has stalled or regressed in many cases. Has not been able to get these guys to be more consistent.

4. This one is just a hunch, but I think Lindy has become too comfortable. Does anyone believe that Lindy goes in Darcy's office and demands roster change?

Are you any closer to the edge now? :)

I've changed my vote. I don't want Ruff around anymore.

Time for new blood.

:thumbsup: yes

Archived