The Lindy Ruff Poll

PASabreFan

82 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited about the idea of Lindy Ruff coaching the next generation of Sabres (Myers, Kennedy, Ennis, Gerbe, etc.)?

• Yes.
    • No.

Razor actually summed it up pretty well on WGR:

Should Lindy Ruff come back?

"It's not a matter of bringing in a better coach, cause I think Lindy is a very good coach...I think it would be a matter of bringing in a new message, or a new way to do things. I'm not pointing the finger and LIndy whatsoever, but being in a situation for such a long time and dealing with the same individuals...sometimes you lose that fire, or sometimes you lose the guys. There's only a certain number of ways you can use to push the players, to get them to do what you need them to do, and sometimes that message gets old."

Razor actually summed it up pretty well on WGR:

"It's not a matter of bringing in a better coach, cause I think Lindy is a very good coach...I think it would be a matter of bringing in a new message, or a new way to do things. I'm not pointing the finger and LIndy whatsoever, but being in a situation for such a long time and dealing with the same individuals...sometimes you lose that fire, or sometimes you lose the guys. There's only a certain number of ways you can use to push the players, to get them to do what you need them to do, and sometimes that message gets old."

That's an excellent summation - I certainly agree with his take. I think the part I bolded is important, though - if it's time for Lindy to go, then it's because it's time, not because he's a bad coach.

No, I am not.

For the first time, I have doubts, grave doubts, that we can win with Lindy Ruff as head coach. The only time he has been truly successful was when Hasek was in goal, discounting the one season in which we won the Presidents. Hasek is an NHL Hall of Famer that won wherever he played, and was denied a Cup in Buffalo only because the NHL allowed an illegal goal to be scored.

I am tired of this perpetual underachievement and the excuses... he just doesn't inspire players anymore, and may actually HURT our team.

No, I am not.

For the first time, I have doubts, grave doubts, that we can win with Lindy Ruff as head coach. The only time he has been truly successful was when Hasek was in goal, discounting the one season in which we won the Presidents. Hasek is an NHL Hall of Famer that won wherever he played, and was denied a Cup in Buffalo only because the NHL allowed an illegal goal to be scored.

I am tired of this perpetual underachievement and the excuses... he just doesn't inspire players anymore, and may actually HURT our team.

agreed

I think some of your points, especially the first one (as well as the inexplicably bad power play,) are valid, others not so much. However, I'd like to see how Lindy handles a team of real players, not the bouquet of delicate flowers that Darcy has picked for him.

Let me help push you over the edge...

1. Mishandling of the backup goalie year after year after year. Agreed

2. Preferred handling of his "stars" while the same players get ripped in the media and sent to the press box(Stafford, Sekera, Max, Kotalik, etc...) Seems like the players you named deserved being scratched from time to time. I'll also quibble over the use of the word "stars" to describe most of the Sabres. Besides, how many coaches call out their stars on a regular basis and last beyond season's end?

3. Player development has stalled or regressed in many cases. Has not been able to get these guys to be more consistent. That assumes most of the players on this squad have room to improve on a consistent basis. I'm not convinced that's the case, so your opinion differs from mine.

4. This one is just a hunch, but I think Lindy has become too comfortable. Does anyone believe that Lindy goes in Darcy's office and demands roster change? Maybe he should. Darcy looks like the type who enjoys getting bitch-slapped now and then. But my personal bias aside, Lindy may not be the one who's too comfortable. Darcy gets too attached to her players and keeps them on the roster way too long (Max for one), and lately she has been overpaying for modestly talented players. Maybe it's the players who are too comfortable. .

Are you any closer to the edge now? :) Not yet, but wait till October if nothing has changed

Archived