[OT] Interesting thing happened to me last night.

Eleven

I had to park about half a block from my house last night, and I was walking home from my car, when an electric blue sport pickup passed me, and some white guy leaned out of the window and screamed, "f**k you, n***er!" at me. This was interesting for several reasons:

1. I really didn't know that people drove around and did that. I mean, I'm not naive enough to think that we have achieved an atmosphere of racial tolerance in the USA, much less in Buffalo, but I live in one of the very few neighborhoods in Buffalo that is ethnically mixed. And it's one of the reasons I like the neighborhood. So why drive through it and act like that?

2. I'm white. And not particularly swarthy, either. I was not wearing a hat or a hood or anything that would obscure my face. In fact, I was wearing a tuxedo. Is there a new use of the word that I'm not aware of?

3. First time I've ever been called that, and I was stunned but not really insulted. I have no idea what my reaction would have been if I were black. Amused at the ignorance? Angry? Resigned? But it definitely was thought-provoking. Still on my mind now, which is why I had to post about it in a hockey forum.

EDIT: I should add that my street is well-lit.

I had to park about half a block from my house last night, and I was walking home from my car, when an electric blue sport pickup passed me, and some white guy leaned out of the window and screamed, "f**k you, n***er!" at me. This was interesting for several reasons:

1. I really didn't know that people drove around and did that. I mean, I'm not naive enough to think that we have achieved an atmosphere of racial tolerance in the USA, much less in Buffalo, but I live in one of the very few neighborhoods in Buffalo that is ethnically mixed. And it's one of the reasons I like the neighborhood. So why drive through it and act like that?

2. I'm white. And not particularly swarthy, either. I was not wearing a hat or a hood or anything that would obscure my face. In fact, I was wearing a tuxedo. Is there a new use of the word that I'm not aware of?

3. First time I've ever been called that, and I was stunned but not really insulted. I have no idea what my reaction would have been if I were black. Amused at the ignorance? Angry? Resigned? But it definitely was thought-provoking. Still on my mind now, which is why I had to post about it in a hockey forum.

they were probly drunk and jokin around.

IMHO there's no explanation for certain people acting like complete morons.

When somebody treats me that way, I usually get mad initially, then end up feeling good in a weird way that I'm not like them.

Why were you celebrating the Pens win? This story gets more disturbing the more I think about it.

Heh, the penguin suit was required for a charity event I was at last night. I didn't even see the Pens game.

I think that, relatively speaking, we have achieved a fairly high level of racial toleration in the USA. Obama's election is something of proof of that. Yes, racism is still part of the culture, maybe even a fairly big part, but we have come a long, long way from Jim Crow.

Face it, tribal mentality still abounds in the lower and middle classes of the world. Always will.

If you think that was interesting, read this.

I've read a lot of stories like this and never though it could happen to me. I came home from work the other night to find that my wife's college roommate Inga had made a surprise visit. Inga was a foreign exchange student from Sweden who was currently working as a airline stewardess. We got to talking and laughing over old stories when I broke out the first bottle of wine. Well, three or four bottles later we decided to move the "reunion" to the hot tub. Inga was a bit tipsy when she decided to ********************** ****************************************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************************************************************

***********************************************************************************************************************************

*********************************************************************************************************************************

****************************************************************************************************************************

********************************************************************************************************************************

***********************************************************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************************

********************************************************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************

*****************************************************************************************

It was a night I will never forget :rolleyes:

If you think that was interesting, read this.

I've read a lot of stories like this and never though it could happen to me. I came home from work the other night to find that my wife's college roommate Inga had made a surprise visit. Inga was a foreign exchange student from Sweden who was currently working as a airline stewardess. We got to talking and laughing over old stories when I broke out the first bottle of wine. Well, three or four bottles later we decided to move the "reunion" to the hot tub. Inga was a bit tipsy when she decided to ********************** ****************************************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************************************************

****************************************************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************

*****************************************************************************************

It was a night I will never forget :rolleyes:

No doubt. I hear it can be a bitch getting vomit out of a hot tub. :P

Archived