GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I live almost exactly between Boston and NYC. We're stuck with NESN coverage and they are the biggest homers. They make the Rangers announcers seem impartial. Homerism is expected to some extent but these guys are a poor influence upon kids who learn that your team can do no wrong and anything negative that happens is the fault of someone else.

Glad to see the game, however, and the NESN announcers reaching for reasons other than the Bruins were outplayed for the outcome.

I'm from central MA and did not want a Buf/Bos matchup for 1 reason BECAUSE of Jack Edwards. Brickley's OK when not on the side of Edwards. I put on the satellite radio and minus the 15 second delay, will do it again. Should be Doc Emrich/Eddie Olchyk (?) tomorrow? Pretty objective when it comes to showing excitement for a play/hit/goal.

GO SABRES!

Chara is going to be suspended for a routine cross-check on Kaleta? I thought we were talking about the new supplemental discipline for blindside head shots.

Chara's check looked a little like Ovie's, to me. I did not have the benefit of replay.

I'm from central MA and did not want a Buf/Bos matchup for 1 reason BECAUSE of Jack Edwards. Brickley's OK when not on the side of Edwards. I put on the satellite radio and minus the 15 second delay, will do it again. Should be Doc Emrich/Eddie Olchyk (?) tomorrow? Pretty objective when it comes to showing excitement for a play/hit/goal.

GO SABRES!

I'm in Central MA too.. the 1 reason I did want a Buf/Bos matchup was because I've never been to a Sabres playoff game, and an away one is as good as any. But you're right, it does suck to be stuck with those two flipping idiots calling the games.. if they keep up their whining from Game 1 i'm probably going to switch off the TV and listen to the game on WGR550 only!

GO SABRES!

You're not by any chance a UMASS fan who used to post with a very similar username on a college hockey board, are you?

It has to be Mair or Ellis. Stafford fits in better on one of those last 2 lines... assuming that Stafford isn't the guy in the pressbox, which is a big assumption.

I don't know if this is what the earlier poster was referencing, but if so, Stafford was "in" in terms of practice lines because Roy was MIA.

http://www.wgr550.com/Gerbe-Sent-Down--Roy-Absent/6822018

...ever since Campbell left. He was the only one I can remember since the '07 team that would aggressively skate the puck out of the zone successfully.

Corrected...Montador tries it on a regular basis, but he always gives it away :D

Just a observation.

Wanted to let the excitement die down before injecting some common sense into the conversation. The Sabres beat a team they should beat.

A playoff win is a playoff win. The Sabres physical game was a nice surprise. Not sure if they can or are willing to sustain it over a long series. The Second period was a huge cause for concern. Thankfully the Sabres have Ryan Miller and Boston just can't score. I think it is safe to say if the Sabres get out shot 24-8 by most of the other 14 playoff teams they are leaving the second period trailing.

It also looked as if the Bruins took a long hard look at the last Senators game. They know they have a huge physical advantage and they are going to use it. Especially if the Sabres power play remains inept. The Sabres need to make the Bruins pay when they get out of hand.

Game two should be another physical affair. Though I feel it will be another 2-1 style contest. It would be great if the Sabres could send a statement and bury a couple of power play goals.

I agree with all of this. I too was pleasantly surprised at how physical and determined the Sabres were, all over the ice (and especially in front of Miller -- every little jostle was answered quite assertively).

Not sure if this was mentioned yesterday, but the Sabres had 5 guys playing in the NHL playoffs for the first time...

Ellis

Myers

Sekera

Ennis

Kaleta

I really like having Kaleta (and Torres) in the mix, especially in a physical series like this one. I think Kaleta is going to play like he's been shot out of a cannon, especially at home -- this has to be a childhood dream come true for him. And that 4th line with him and Torres is punishing. I'd like to see them closer to 10 minutes than 7 as this series goes on.

I applaud Rick for chastising the crowd for chanting "USA, USA." He suggested "MVP" instead. What are those people thinking?

I prefer USA, USA Miller. If we get that guy in goal, the Sabres will win it all. If we get MVP Miller, we may not.

Kennedy?

And two of them figured in the game winning goal!

Kennedy single handedly outskating at least 4 of the B's before passing off to Rivet for the shot that was screened by Kaleta in front of Rask! What a task!

NOT bad at all! I expect pleasant surprises all along the way!

But this goon squad hockey the B's feel they must utilize to compete with the Sabres is BS - and I think it will backfire for the B's (there's them 2 letters again - pun intended!!)

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

I prefer USA, USA Miller. If we get that guy in goal, the Sabres will win it all. If we get MVP Miller, we may not.

I totally agree!

And besides the Boston to Buffalo and back corridor is a vital and essential component of life in the North East of the USA. At the very least, we are celebrating USA hockey at its best!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

Archived