RJ's Last Stand?

Marvelo

I was watching a game a few weeks back and RJ, whose stellar game has been slipping a bit -- he's late on goal calls for the opposition without a home crowd cheering to verify the fact -- said that he would prefer to tend to his garden than call the Sabres playoff games.

What?

If RJ wants to step down then he should. I love the guy and would be happy to see him leave before it's too late. Much respect for knowing when it's time to call it a career.

He'll never have to use that butt pillow of his again! :thumbsup:

Hamilton transforms into an exciting human being when he does PBP. It's spooky. That or his WGR job sucks the life out of him.

PTR

Interviewing Sabres rookies and Trent Edwards would suck the life out of anyone. As you said, his PBP is great. Which means we'll get Sylvester instead, of course, and he'll Gurtler the whole thing.

I was watching a game a few weeks back and RJ, whose stellar game has been slipping a bit -- he's late on goal calls for the opposition without a home crowd cheering to verify the fact -- said that he would prefer to tend to his garden than call the Sabres playoff games.

What?

I think you misheard. I think he said something like he wouldn't be around much this spring to do any gardening, because the Sabres were in the playoffs.

I've had my doubts about him this season. Perhaps the senility of Harry Neale is rubbing off. Today, Rick seemed to be arguing that they wouldn't have to play overtime since both the Sabres and Devils would be locked into second and third.

Compared to the beginning of the season, I think he's really sharpened up. The vacation probably did him good.

I really like Paul doing play by play. He's a natural.

I think you misheard. I think he said something like he wouldn't be around much this spring to do any gardening, because the Sabres were in the playoffs.

I've had my doubts about him this season. Perhaps the senility of Harry Neale is rubbing off. Today, Rick seemed to be arguing that they wouldn't have to play overtime since both the Sabres and Devils would be locked into second and third.

Compared to the beginning of the season, I think he's really sharpened up. The vacation probably did him good.

I'm pretty sure I heard him say it's a shame he'll have to do the playoff broadcasts because he'd prefer to grow things in his garden.

It's like when we had Perreault -- you never wanted it to end.

I think he was arguing that OT was unnecessary, which it would have been (once Jersey had the point for the tie, it was done, which is why the Sabs pulled Lalime in a tied game in regular time). But it may be time for him to move on. I've loved RJ over the years. He's been nothing short of amazing, and I think he describes game action better than any announcer I ever have heard. But there's been a little too much showmanship in the last couple of years, and I suspect he's sick of the schedule anyway. I'll miss him like I missed Ted Darling, but it may be time. Especially if he wants it to be time.

I'm pretty sure I heard him say it's a shame he'll have to do the playoff broadcasts because he'd prefer to grow things in his garden.

It's like when we had Perreault -- you never wanted it to end.

I'm pretty sure he said just the opposite. He was being facitious when he said he would miss the gardening.

RJ's not going anywhere. He's not Jim Lorentz. Oh, the travels too much for me wah wah wah. I heart Jim but come'on

I agree. I think they're going to pry the microphone from his dead, cold fingers. I have a recording of an interview Rick did with Channel 2 back in the early 80s -- man was only in his 30s then -- and he was complaining about the travel then. It must be tough, traveling by charter, no lines at the airport, generally quick flights, staying at nice hotels, eating well.

I think he was arguing that OT was unnecessary, which it would have been (once Jersey had the point for the tie, it was done, which is why the Sabs pulled Lalime in a tied game in regular time). But it may be time for him to move on. I've loved RJ over the years. He's been nothing short of amazing, and I think he describes game action better than any announcer I ever have heard. But there's been a little too much showmanship in the last couple of years, and I suspect he's sick of the schedule anyway. I'll miss him like I missed Ted Darling, but it may be time. Especially if he wants it to be time.

His whole career has been based on showmanship! But I agree that after May Day, he started scripting big moments more. (And even the "May Day" line was not invented on the spot, not that time anyway.)

I like that guy who filled in during the Vancouver game. I think he's got a regular job but I could really visualize the game just by listening to him call it. But, Paul Hamilton is pretty good. When RJ does retire, I'd like the new PBP person to have at least 3 qualities: 1) can call a HOCKEY game (not baseball not football etc) well enough I can visualize it in my mind's eye just by listening to the person on the radio, 2) has very good knowledge about the game of hockey, 3) knows the Sabres (or is willing to get to know the team and history). Listening to the Devils radio broadcast and other teams is brutal. Also, who would do color? I think Danny Gare might fit in well there...plus he needs a regular job now.

Here's something I've always wondered; When RJ retires, what sort of recognition will he get at HSBC, besides the obligatory ceremony?

Will he get something special hung from the rafters? Sure, he doesn't have a number to retire...but how many other people have meant as much to the franchise?

Another interesting question is why isn't he already in the HHOF/SHOF? Several current play by play guys, including Pitt's Mike Lange and Chuck Kaiton of Hartford/Carolina, are in. I have to believe Rick has declined the opportunity to be inducted while he's still working.

Rick's a little cranky, and I suspect a very private person. I wonder if he would even want to have the ceremony that we all agree he so richly deserves.

Maybe a giant pair of suspenders?

Archived