So just how good are the Caps?

matter2003

I don't think that's the problem. I think it has more to do with those in charge of the game night experience seemingly doing everything they can to take the fans out of the game. Some examples:

1) A goal is scored and they blast that ridiculous horn. The only NHL franchise that should be allowed a horn is Chicago. Any other city that does it is just embarrassing themselves.

2) The goal announcement shouldn't take five minutes. A goal is scored by Thomas Vanek not Thoooooommmmmaaaaassssss Vaaaaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeeek. He is a hockey player not a stripper.

3) The Jumbo Tron - is there a bigger waste of money? If I wanted to watch TV I would have stayed home.

4) The Music - If may come as a shock to those running the arena but some people actually like to talk about hockey during the breaks in the game. I shouldn't have to yell to the person next to me unless the crowd is really loud. I shouldn't have to shout over Cotton Eyed Joe.

Buffalo is a old school hockey city. We don't need new uniforms or logos. We don't need a public address announcer to get us excited about a goal. We don't need a mega horn to let us know a goal is scored. We understand what the red light means. And if I miss the goal the thousands of other fans will let me the Sabres scored.

Well said. :thumbsup:

I don't think that's the problem. I think it has more to do with those in charge of the game night experience seemingly doing everything they can to take the fans out of the game. Some examples:

1) A goal is scored and they blast that ridiculous horn. The only NHL franchise that should be allowed a horn is Chicago. Any other city that does it is just embarrassing themselves.

2) The goal announcement shouldn't take five minutes. A goal is scored by Thomas Vanek not Thoooooommmmmaaaaassssss Vaaaaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeeek. He is a hockey player not a stripper.

3) The Jumbo Tron - is there a bigger waste of money? If I wanted to watch TV I would have stayed home.

4) The Music - If may come as a shock to those running the arena but some people actually like to talk about hockey during the breaks in the game. I shouldn't have to yell to the person next to me unless the crowd is really loud. I shouldn't have to shout over Cotton Eyed Joe.

Buffalo is a old school hockey city. We don't need new uniforms or logos. We don't need a public address announcer to get us excited about a goal. We don't need a mega horn to let us know a goal is scored. We understand what the red light means. And if I miss the goal the thousands of other fans will let me the Sabres scored.

Totally agreed on 2 and 4. I like the Jumbotron--it helps me see the play when the puck is in the one corner I can't see, and I like replays. I don't need all of the other crap that they put on there, though. I can do just fine talking with my neighbors during breaks. I don't need to see video of some dude being smacked in the nuts by his kid, I don't need kiss cam, I don't want any of that nonsense.

Just to follow up on this -- IMHO, the worst offense is the GD horn that blows after a goal. Really? We need that horn to make noise after the Sabres score? We can't get fired up enough for a goal without it? And it's in every arena -- even Montreal. What a jooooke.

Just to follow up on this -- IMHO, the worst offense is the GD horn that blows after a goal. Really? We need that horn to make noise after the Sabres score? We can't get fired up enough for a goal without it? And it's in every arena -- even Montreal. What a jooooke.

We agree! Wow. The horn is Montreal is a different pitch and doesn't bother me quite as much -- except when the Sabres are visiting of course. It doesn't obliterate everything within earshot like the horn in Buffalo.

I think the bottom line is that fans don't have to make noise. The noise is made for them.

I like the music and the horn. They should blow it longer. In Florida, they strobe light the opposing goalie as well.

Hockey really tries to build a family friendly atmosphere. I'm okay with anything they di to increase attendance.

What I demand is ice girls. Makes the TV timeouts more interesting. In Dallas, they have attractive women shoveling the ice. Nice touch.

We agree! Wow. The horn is Montreal is a different pitch and doesn't bother me quite as much -- except when the Sabres are visiting of course. It doesn't obliterate everything within earshot like the horn in Buffalo.

I think the bottom line is that fans don't have to make noise. The noise is made for them.

I'm glad we agree, but I've been to both arenas, and IMHO the horn in MTL is just as bad as the one in Buffalo. And they have 22,000 fans there who are all intensely into the game! Ridiculous.

I like the music and the horn. They should blow it longer. In Florida, they strobe light the opposing goalie as well.

Hockey really tries to build a family friendly atmosphere. I'm okay with anything they di to increase attendance.

What I demand is ice girls. Makes the TV timeouts more interesting. In Dallas, they have attractive women shoveling the ice. Nice touch.

I like it all as well. What's next, we're not allowed to cheer until the periods are over like the symphony?

Ice girls=family friendly?

How many mothers/aunts/girlfriends/wives/daughters attend Sabre games? Half the crowd? Would you mind Ice dudes?

I wish someone in the Sabres front office could challenge two assumptions, and test them next season: 1. The arena experience has to be aimed at young(er) people. 2. Young(er) people want video presentations on the board and blaring music during every break, distractions of every sort, and a PA guy who goes off the deep end.

SabreSpace wouldn't be the same without one of these :nana:

Really? This clip from inside the arena seems to suggest otherwise...

or maybe you'd like to see the same clip on TV so u can see the 10,000+ people OUTSIDE the building going as nuts or more nuts...

half the teams in the league can't even get 10,000 people to go the game inside...

Or this explosion .... (i was there , i know how loud it got ...pretty deafening)

Ice girls=family friendly?

How many mothers/aunts/girlfriends/wives/daughters attend Sabre games? Half the crowd? Would you mind Ice dudes?

We already got Ice dudes.. A fair amount of the crowd is female.. Ice Girls does equal Family Friendly. The guys watch them and the gals do too. You can't help it. It's the only thing happening on the ice in TV timeouts. They're excellent skaters. Call it a beautification campaign by the NHL.

Good thing for Washington that all of the Hab's over priced free agents didn't show up. Ooops ;)

An I-told-you-so after an OT win in game 1? Really? I guess the Rangers and Leafs didn't give you any support, so you gotta take what you can.

Of course, I'll be extremely happy if Gomez, Gionta and Spacek lead the Habs past the Caps.

An I-told-you-so after an OT win in game 1? Really? I guess the Rangers and Leafs didn't give you any support, so you gotta take what you can.

Of course, I'll be extremely happy if Gomez, Gionta and Spacek lead the Habs past the Caps.

I'm just saying, seems now the popular belief is that the Habs problems this season had to do more with injuries than all the new faces. The Rangers will always be a mess under Glen Sather. The Leafs have just begun to rebuild. I doubt Burke is done trimming off the dead weight. With the Sabres going 0-5 last night on the power play I would have liked to see what they could have done if Kovi and Kessel where on the power play. Either one could have easily been a Sabre with a more aggressive GM.

I'm just saying, seems now the popular belief is that the Habs problems this season had to do more with injuries than all the new faces. The Rangers will always be a mess under Glen Sather. The Leafs have just begun to rebuild. I doubt Burke is done trimming off the dead weight. With the Sabres going 0-5 last night on the power play I would have liked to see what they could have done if Kovi and Kessel where on the power play. Either one could have easily been a Sabre with a more aggressive GM.

1. The "popular belief" is not the same as cogent analysis. The Habs backed into the playoffs with a sub-.500 record in a weak EC and are most likely going to get bounced in the first round. After blowing up their team, they are most likely going to have the same results as they had last year -- only now they are stuck with terrible contracts for overrated players for the foreseeable future.

2. You are singing a different tune on the Rangers, but now it's at least the correct one.

3. I agree that Burke and the Leafs are just getting started -- he's only been there 1 full year and 1 offseason so far. It's not fair to judge his results yet. However, they effectively gave up the #2 pick in the draft for Kessel. Most hockey analysts think the Bruins are going to get a franchise player with that #2 pick. Also, the Bruins got this year's 2nd-round pick from the Leafs (which I assume will be the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, but maybe a few picks lower depending on how the lottery works) AND the Leaf's 1st-rounder next year. Since the Leafs almost certainly won't make the playoffs next year either, we're talking about another lottery pick.

4. Yes, the Sabres could've had each of Kessel and Kovy. I don't think a "more aggressive" GM is what was needed though. I think a better way to characterize it is "more spendthrift." It all goes back to what the price is for the player that is on the block. We've already disagreed plenty about whether the price for Kovy was too high. What about Kessel? Would you trade the #2 pick in this year's draft, the #4 pick in the 2nd round and a top-5 pick for Kessel? I certainly wouldn't and I don't think any NHL GM would either.

1. The "popular belief" is not the same as cogent analysis. The Habs backed into the playoffs with a sub-.500 record in a weak EC and are most likely going to get bounced in the first round. After blowing up their team, they are most likely going to have the same results as they had last year -- only now they are stuck with terrible contracts for overrated players for the foreseeable future.

2. You are singing a different tune on the Rangers, but now it's at least the correct one.

3. I agree that Burke and the Leafs are just getting started -- he's only been there 1 full year and 1 offseason so far. It's not fair to judge his results yet. However, they effectively gave up the #2 pick in the draft for Kessel. Most hockey analysts think the Bruins are going to get a franchise player with that #2 pick. Also, the Bruins got this year's 2nd-round pick from the Leafs (which I assume will be the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, but maybe a few picks lower depending on how the lottery works) AND the Leaf's 1st-rounder next year. Since the Leafs almost certainly won't make the playoffs next year either, we're talking about another lottery pick.

4. Yes, the Sabres could've had each of Kessel and Kovy. I don't think a "more aggressive" GM is what was needed though. I think a better way to characterize it is "more spendthrift." It all goes back to what the price is for the player that is on the block. We've already disagreed plenty about whether the price for Kovy was too high. What about Kessel? Would you trade the #2 pick in this year's draft, the #4 pick in the 2nd round and a top-5 pick for Kessel? I certainly wouldn't and I don't think any NHL GM would either.

They Sabres wouldn't have given up the #2 pick or 4th in the second round. The Sabres would give up the 20th and what the 50th pick. For a player like Phil Kessel? I would give up more. You pick hoping you find a Phil Kessel. He is 22 and despite his injuries/illness he has not played less than 70 games in a season. And he did have 11 points in 11 playoff games last year and was a plus player. And did I mention he is only 22 years old? I guess the difference in our opinions is that you believe the Bruins will end up with a franchise player. I believe Kessel will be a franchise player. I'm not trying to dismiss the value of the picks that Toronto gave up. They can end up with a stud player. On the other hand they can end up with a Pat Fallon.

They Sabres wouldn't have given up the #2 pick or 4th in the second round. The Sabres would give up the 20th and what the 50th pick.

You're assuming that Boston's GM wouldn't have been smart enough to say, "hmm, the Sabres' picks are probably going to be higher than the Leafs' picks, so they are not worth as much." A first round pick is not universal currency. For example, the Pens giving you their first round pick is like the Oilers giving you their second round pick, which is considerably less valuable than their first. I'm guessing he was figuring top 5 for Toronto at least this year, if not the next, while Buffalo was a safe bet for middle of the pack (15th, give or take.) I doubt he would have made that deal with Buffalo for the same round picks.

You're assuming that Boston's GM wouldn't have been smart enough to say, "hmm, the Sabres' picks are probably going to be higher than the Leafs' picks, so they are not worth as much." A first round pick is not universal currency. For example, the Pens giving you their first round pick is like the Oilers giving you their second round pick, which is considerably less valuable than their first. I'm guessing he was figuring top 5 for Toronto at least this year, if not the next, while Buffalo was a safe bet for middle of the pack (15th, give or take.) I doubt he would have made that deal with Buffalo for the same round picks.

I did say I would give more.

Did I just hear correctly? OV still looking for his first SHOT of the series and we're 2 1/2 games in already? How is Montreal NOT letting him get shots? He'd rather shoot than breath which is why he takes more shots than anybody else during the season.

GO SABRES!!!!

Did I just hear correctly? OV still looking for his first SHOT of the series and we're 2 1/2 games in already? How is Montreal NOT letting him get shots? He'd rather shoot than breath which is why he takes more shots than anybody else during the season.

GO SABRES!!!!

I think they are just in the first period of game two.

I think they are just in the first period of game two.

No, it's game three. But only the first period so let's say 2 1/6 games into the series. My larger point stands. OV without even a shot on goal to this point is unheard of. I'd like to know what Montreal is doing from a strategic point of view.

GO SABRES!!!

Edit: OV just recorded his first shot of the series at the 16:34 mark of the 1st period in GAME 3

Archived