So just how good are the Caps?

matter2003

I think its obvious that the Caps are really good. But just how good are they? I mean they play in a division that only has 1 playoff team, which makes that the only division to have just one in the NHL. Meanwhile, the Sabres play in a division where 4 teams made the playoffs, which is tops in the NHL. So just how much have the Caps benefited from playing in this bad division? Are they really that much better than say Pittsburgh, NJ or Buffalo, or have they had the luxury of having 3 of the worst teams in the NHL all season playing in their division? I am not saying they are not a good team at all, and likely a better team than Buffalo. However, I don't think their gaudy point total is a fair indication of them being that much better than the teams in the East or even the teams in the West, who have a lot better overall teams, as much as it is an indication of their division being so bad.

It will be fun to see just how good the Caps are once the playoffs start...I honestly don't think their goaltending is solid enough to beat a team like Pittsburgh...

I think its obvious that the Caps are really good. But just how good are they? I mean they play in a division that only has 1 playoff team, which makes that the only division to have just one in the NHL. Meanwhile, the Sabres play in a division where 4 teams made the playoffs, which is tops in the NHL. So just how much have the Caps benefited from playing in this bad division? Are they really that much better than say Pittsburgh, NJ or Buffalo, or have they had the luxury of having 3 of the worst teams in the NHL all season playing in their division? I am not saying they are not a good team at all, and likely a better team than Buffalo. However, I don't think their gaudy point total is a fair indication of them being that much better than the teams in the East or even the teams in the West, who have a lot better overall teams, as much as it is an indication of their division being so bad.

It will be fun to see just how good the Caps are once the playoffs start...I honestly don't think their goaltending is solid enough to beat a team like Pittsburgh...

The smart money is on the Caps to win the Stanley Cup, but they're not the enormous favorites that everybody seems to think they are.

The offense is out of this world. Only the Sharks can match them consistently in high-scoring affairs IMO. The defense is slightly above average (and overrated because Mike Green is so good offensively). Goaltending may be their fatal flaw. Theodore has been to the dance several times before, but he's been god-awful this season. Varlamov has the potential to be a little better, but he's still a relatively unknown commodity.

I think its obvious that the Caps are really good. But just how good are they? I mean they play in a division that only has 1 playoff team, which makes that the only division to have just one in the NHL. Meanwhile, the Sabres play in a division where 4 teams made the playoffs, which is tops in the NHL. So just how much have the Caps benefited from playing in this bad division?

Being in the SE means that they've played 8 more games against SE teams than others in the East. The NE has Toronto and the Atlantic has the Islanders, so you're really talking about 6 more games against "weak" teams instead of teams battling for the playoffs. At best, that's 12 points (but really is less since it's not all win vs. all lose) and they are 19 points ahead of the next-best team. They are 28-7-7 against non-SE teams and 10-5-3 against the West. Other than NJ against the NE, they have the best record in the East against the two non-SE divisions and they're tied with the Sabres for best against the West. They are the best team, statistically, in the East, even when adjusting for the weak SE.

Now, that said, if their goaltending falters terribly, they may have troubles in the playoffs. If they get even decent goaltending, they could go very far.

The Caps are CAPS.. Any discussion to diminish their chances and predict their demise is wishful thinking. They won't lose until the Conf finals, if at all. This team is astonishing good.

The Caps are CAPS.. Any discussion to diminish their chances and predict their demise is wishful thinking. They won't lose until the Conf finals, if at all. This team is astonishing good.

...and yet I'm more afraid of the Penguins.

And don't you have to factor into the poor records of the other teams in the SE the fact that Washington is so good?

Home ice will be an incredible advantage for the Caps. Wish I could say the same for the Sabres.

We'll miss you while we're going nuts at the Arena. Unless you decide to show, of course, in which case, the beers are on me.

Agreed that DC is overrated, partially because of the weak division. Are the Sabres underrated because of the strong division?

We'll miss you while we're going nuts at the Arena. Unless you decide to show, of course, in which case, the beers are on me.

Agreed that DC is overrated, partially because of the weak division. Are the Sabres underrated because of the strong division?

The arena couldn't "go nuts" for a division championship clincher. Last night the crowd stood and chanted "Alfie, Alfie" -- even in the dying seconds, down 5-2. I've never heard a player's name chanted in Buffalo, except in derision. No "Ha-sick," no "Perr-eault," no "Dru-ry," no "Mill-er." Going nuts is just not in the DNA of Sabres fans.

It'll be louder, yeah. I totally expect that. The goalie will be taunted (maybe even Lalime), opposing players will be taunted, if the Sabres get down, the crowd will get restless, if a power play goes south, they'll boo, and if the Sabres are way behind or way ahead, people will stream out -- and, oh yeah, they'll return late to their seats to start a period. It's just the way it is.

The arena couldn't "go nuts" for a division championship clincher. Last night the crowd stood and chanted "Alfie, Alfie" -- even in the dying seconds, down 5-2. I've never heard a player's name chanted in Buffalo, except in derision. No "Ha-sick," no "Perr-eault," no "Dru-ry," no "Mill-er." Going nuts is just not in the DNA of Sabres fans.

It'll be louder, yeah. I totally expect that. The goalie will be taunted (maybe even Lalime), opposing players will be taunted, if the Sabres get down, the crowd will get restless, if a power play goes south, they'll boo, and if the Sabres are way behind or way ahead, people will stream out -- and, oh yeah, they'll return late to their seats to start a period. It's just the way it is.

The Arena did, in fact, go nuts during a division championship clincher, just last week. And chanted Miller's name. And Drew Stafford's name as well. The place was downright crazy, even on the way out of the building. In fact, even in the traffic outside of the building, where the horns didn't stop blowing. You weren't there, PA, and MSG didn't show you everything (as we already established in the GDT). Go to a freaking game sometime. You don't live that far away.

I have seen people leave early in blowout wins and losses. Usually, they seem to have a decent reason--either they're with younger kids or with older people who take a little more time to get out. I hate it, but even I've resorted to it when I take my father to games. Returning to seats late to start a period annoys the ###### out of me too.

The Arena did, in fact, go nuts during a division championship clincher, just last week. And chanted Miller's name. And Drew Stafford's name as well. The place was downright crazy, even on the way out of the building. In fact, even in the traffic outside of the building, where the horns didn't stop blowing. You weren't there, PA, and MSG didn't show you everything (as we already established in the GDT). Go to a freaking game sometime. You don't live that far away.

I have seen people leave early in blowout wins and losses. Usually, they seem to have a decent reason--either they're with younger kids or with older people who take a little more time to get out. I hate it, but even I've resorted to it when I take my father to games. Returning to seats late to start a period annoys the ###### out of me too.

They chanted ######-HOLE? How did I miss that?

I would say it's just my perception that's faulty, that MSG isn't capturing the sound and pictures. But multiple media members have made an issue of how quiet the arena is, and they're in the friggen building.

Attendance is still strong, but the building has gotten quieter. Now TV ratings are down. For a first place team. What's going on?

They chanted ######-HOLE? How did I miss that?

I would say it's just my perception that's faulty, that MSG isn't capturing the sound and pictures. But multiple media members have made an issue of how quiet the arena is, and they're in the friggen building.

Attendance is still strong, but the building has gotten quieter. Now TV ratings are down. For a first place team. What's going on?

DVR is a wonderful thing...also, I rarely watch a game on TV as that is usually in use by my wife. 95% of the Sabres games I watch are online now...TV is getting ready to face the monster that is the internet, much like the newspapers did(whats left of them anyways) and these ratings "dips" are just the beginning...

Going nuts is just not in the DNA of Sabres fans.

Really? This clip from inside the arena seems to suggest otherwise...

or maybe you'd like to see the same clip on TV so u can see the 10,000+ people OUTSIDE the building going as nuts or more nuts...

half the teams in the league can't even get 10,000 people to go the game inside...

Really? This clip from inside the arena seems to suggest otherwise...

or maybe you'd like to see the same clip on TV so u can see the 10,000+ people OUTSIDE the building going as nuts or more nuts...

half the teams in the league can't even get 10,000 people to go the game inside...

Fair enough. You've cherry-picked quite a moment there.

I wish the people who stand outside during the playoffs could swap places with the folks inside.

Fair enough. You've cherry-picked quite a moment there.

I wish the people who stand outside during the playoffs could swap places with the folks inside.

From what I have heard the crowds in the arena have gotten more and more "corporate"(kind of like Toronto I guess) as the economy has gotten worse and worse...I can sort of understand it, I mean if you are suddenly unemployed and only getting half your normal pay, something has to be cut out, and its a lot more expensive to have season tickets to the Sabres than it is to the Bills...maybe go to a couple of games versus all of them...hopefully once the economy picks up a little it will be back to normal, but I think it could take a while...I expect the parties in the plaza to be off the chains again...

IMHO, with the economy the way it is here, it says a lot that both teams pretty much sellout every game still..there is a connection the city has with those teams that runs deeper than most places...

they won't lose. and has there ever been a combo of a parent nhl and ahl team that put together a season like this:

the caps and hershey bears combined have 244 points...that's pretty amazing

Washington's defensive/goalkeeping stats are not pretty. Perhaps they can continue to score 4-5 goals a night and it won't matter, but history shows us that flashy offensive teams need to play defense (or ride a hot goalie) to move on in the postseason.

Montreal is a scary first round test for the Caps. The Habs' PP is nearly as lethal as Washington's.

I won't be surprised if this is a 4-0 sweep for Washington; I also won't be surprised if Montreal pushes it to 6 or 7.

Washington's defensive/goalkeeping stats are not pretty. Perhaps they can continue to score 4-5 goals a night and it won't matter, but history shows us that flashy offensive teams need to play defense (or ride a hot goalie) to move on in the postseason.

Montreal is a scary first round test for the Caps. The Habs' PP is nearly as lethal as Washington's.

I won't be surprised if this is a 4-0 sweep for Washington; I also won't be surprised if Montreal pushes it to 6 or 7.

If last years Rangers with Lundqvist could take them to seven games, Montreal with Halak can certainly do the same this year.

If last years Rangers with Lundqvist could take them to seven games, Montreal with Halak can certainly do the same this year.

If we want to compare the 06-07 Sabres (i.e., won presidents cup, offensive juggernaut, failed to make SC Finals) to the 09-10 Caps (won PC, offensive juggernaut), here's an interesting stat:

2006-07: Miller had a 2.73 GAA and .911 save %

2009-10: Theodore has a 2.81 GAA and .911 save %

Just sayin...

From what I have heard the crowds in the arena have gotten more and more "corporate"(kind of like Toronto I guess) as the economy has gotten worse and worse...I can sort of understand it, I mean if you are suddenly unemployed and only getting half your normal pay, something has to be cut out, and its a lot more expensive to have season tickets to the Sabres than it is to the Bills...maybe go to a couple of games versus all of them...hopefully once the economy picks up a little it will be back to normal, but I think it could take a while...I expect the parties in the plaza to be off the chains again...

IMHO, with the economy the way it is here, it says a lot that both teams pretty much sellout every game still..there is a connection the city has with those teams that runs deeper than most places...

I don't think that's the problem. I think it has more to do with those in charge of the game night experience seemingly doing everything they can to take the fans out of the game. Some examples:

1) A goal is scored and they blast that ridiculous horn. The only NHL franchise that should be allowed a horn is Chicago. Any other city that does it is just embarrassing themselves.

2) The goal announcement shouldn't take five minutes. A goal is scored by Thomas Vanek not Thoooooommmmmaaaaassssss Vaaaaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeeek. He is a hockey player not a stripper.

3) The Jumbo Tron - is there a bigger waste of money? If I wanted to watch TV I would have stayed home.

4) The Music - If may come as a shock to those running the arena but some people actually like to talk about hockey during the breaks in the game. I shouldn't have to yell to the person next to me unless the crowd is really loud. I shouldn't have to shout over Cotton Eyed Joe.

Buffalo is a old school hockey city. We don't need new uniforms or logos. We don't need a public address announcer to get us excited about a goal. We don't need a mega horn to let us know a goal is scored. We understand what the red light means. And if I miss the goal the thousands of other fans will let me the Sabres scored.

I think Washington is going to blow the Habs out of the building. I'm expecting a sweep and I'll be very surprised if the Habs win more than 1 game.

I see another round 2 matchup with Pittsburgh. I think the Capitals will likely win that one, but I am going to refrain from making a prediction until I see how Malkin and Fleury play in the 1st round.

I don't think that's the problem. I think it has more to do with those in charge of the game night experience seemingly doing everything they can to take the fans out of the game. Some examples:

1) A goal is scored and they blast that ridiculous horn. The only NHL franchise that should be allowed a horn is Chicago. Any other city that does it is just embarrassing themselves.

2) The goal announcement shouldn't take five minutes. A goal is scored by Thomas Vanek not Thoooooommmmmaaaaassssss Vaaaaaaaaannnnnnnneeeeeek. He is a hockey player not a stripper.

3) The Jumbo Tron - is there a bigger waste of money? If I wanted to watch TV I would have stayed home.

4) The Music - If may come as a shock to those running the arena but some people actually like to talk about hockey during the breaks in the game. I shouldn't have to yell to the person next to me unless the crowd is really loud. I shouldn't have to shout over Cotton Eyed Joe.

Buffalo is a old school hockey city. We don't need new uniforms or logos. We don't need a public address announcer to get us excited about a goal. We don't need a mega horn to let us know a goal is scored. We understand what the red light means. And if I miss the goal the thousands of other fans will let me the Sabres scored.

+1 on all this except the Jumbotron.

I <3 Milt Ellis

http://mikespub.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/where-for-art-thou-milt-ellis/

Me too. I liked that article.

I wish someone in the Sabres front office could challenge two assumptions, and test them next season: 1. The arena experience has to be aimed at young(er) people. 2. Young(er) people want video presentations on the board and blaring music during every break, distractions of every sort, and a PA guy who goes off the deep end.

Can we try not showing the game on the board during live action, bringing back a Milt Ellis style for PA announcements, emphasizing traditional organ music at a lowered volume, programming several "quiet" and video-less breaks per period, stopping pleas to "make noise" and canning the horn/music after goals? Young fans won't leave in droves. They might just find the experience "cool." Paradoxically, the arena might finally wake up. (At the same time, I think crowds need to be "led" to some degree. Put a Sabre employee in the crowd, or hire a real fan, to beat a drum or something to get LGB and goal countups and goalie taunts going during play.)

If it doesn't work, fine. The season after that, go back to the old way.

Archived