[OT] Sushi

cdexchange

Anyone else here like sushi? I think I'm becoming obsessed. After rediscovering it recently, I find myself really looking forward to having it again. I've been spending way too much time the last couple days doing online research about it, deciding what to try next, learning about its history, etc. In the process I've learned more Japanese words than I ever thought I'd know.

So far the only place I've tried around here was Wasabi, and I loved it. Are there any superior sushi joints around the city that you guys can recommend I try?

Also, what types of nigiri, sashimi or maki rolls are your favorites? So far I've tried nigiri of bluefin, unagi, and sea urchin (only thing I didn't like), and a large maki roll with spicy tuna, tempura flakes, avocado and tobiko (delicious!).

Wish it wasn't so damn expensive so I could eat it more often!

So far I've tried nigiri of bluefin, unagi, and sea urchin (only thing I didn't like), and a large maki roll with spicy tuna, tempura flakes, avocado and tobiko (delicious!).

I love Unagi (eel). In fact, in addition to the sushi version, the local (like walking distance local) Japanese has a whole dish that is basically a big piece (split, of course) of well seasoned eel over a bed of rice. It great and comes in this impressive box (fancy red, black and gold.) The latter doesn't actually make it taste better; it's just kinda cool.

I also like the smaller roe (prawn, etc.) sushi.

As for sea urchin, does anyone like that? It's like eating uncooked tongue. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Triggers my gag reflex.

However, to answer to original question, I don't really crave it. We have it now and again, but even when we get Japanese, I usually get something else with maybe a roll as an appetizer.

Anyone else here like sushi? I think I'm becoming obsessed. After rediscovering it recently, I find myself really looking forward to having it again. I've been spending way too much time the last couple days doing online research about it, deciding what to try next, learning about its history, etc. In the process I've learned more Japanese words than I ever thought I'd know.

So far the only place I've tried around here was Wasabi, and I loved it. Are there any superior sushi joints around the city that you guys can recommend I try?

Also, what types of nigiri, sashimi or maki rolls are your favorites? So far I've tried nigiri of bluefin, unagi, and sea urchin (only thing I didn't like), and a large maki roll with spicy tuna, tempura flakes, avocado and tobiko (delicious!).

Try Ichiban at 3192 Sheridan Dr in Amherst. They have a made-to-order buffet. You tell the waitress what you want, they make it fresh and then you tell her what you want next. Hand rolls (the big cone type) or classic rolls (little slices). All-you-care-to-eat so you can try as many as your belly will allow for like $9 if you go at lunchtime. I don't know how much it is in the evening.

For some excellent sushi, try SeaBar. They have two locations: one on Main St. in Williamsville and one downtown on Ellicott Street. I work downtown, so it is a short hop to go there for lunch. Their menu is not strictly traditional sushi, but an amalgam of Western NY tastes and Japanese cuisine. For example, they have a "Beef on Weck" roll, which is kind of like a California roll but with sliced beef and horseradish. Very tasty. Check them out at SeaBar .

I love Unagi (eel). In fact, in addition to the sushi version, the local (like walking distance local) Japanese has a whole dish that is basically a big piece (split, of course) of well seasoned eel over a bed of rice. It great and comes in this impressive box (fancy red, black and gold.) The latter doesn't actually make it taste better; it's just kinda cool.

As for sea urchin, does anyone like that? It's like eating uncooked tongue. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Triggers my gag reflex.

I was surprised how good the unagi was. And yeah I'm sure some people like sea urchin, but I can't fathom why myself. Good lord that was horrible.

Try Ichiban at 3192 Sheridan Dr in Amherst. They have a made-to-order buffet. You tell the waitress what you want, they make it fresh and then you tell her what you want next. Hand rolls (the big cone type) or classic rolls (little slices). All-you-care-to-eat so you can try as many as your belly will allow for like $9 if you go at lunchtime. I don't know how much it is in the evening.

That sounds awesome and $9 is a great deal :thumbsup:

For some excellent sushi, try SeaBar. They have two locations: one on Main St. in Williamsville and one downtown on Ellicott Street. I work downtown, so it is a short hop to go there for lunch. Their menu is not strictly traditional sushi, but an amalgam of Western NY tastes and Japanese cuisine. For example, they have a "Beef on Weck" roll, which is kind of like a California roll but with sliced beef and horseradish. Very tasty. Check them out at SeaBar .

Cool, I will give them a try next time I'm downtown, thanks!

However, to answer to original question, I don't really crave it. We have it now and again, but even when we get Japanese, I usually get something else with maybe a roll as an appetizer.

I'm sure chz could give you some pointers on eating sea urchin.

Love the stuff. Cannot get enough of it. Kuni's, tucked in on Lexington Avenue just west of Elmwood, is fantastic. I think SeaBar is good, too. Kibarashi (sp?) on Elmwood is just ok. Tokyo Shanghai Bistro on Elmwood tries to be good at Japanese and Chinese (thus the name) and is mediocre at both.

Oh, and unagi is my favorite. Great stuff.

The sea urchin has to be a taste that I haven't acquired yet, that's all I can think. I certainly steer clear of it.

There is a place on the opposite side of Main St from UB South campus, a block or two towards the city called Osaka. I remember it being pretty good. There was a college-type bar next door, so they used to be open until 3am, although sushi and alcohol can be tricky to master. :) There's also O on Sheridan near NF Blvd. It's kind of a 'swanky' scene, but it is good and open late too. On the cheap, Wegman's sushi isn't bad. I may have to stop and get some on the way home.

Blue: have you tried sushi and not liked it or just afraid? :)

Nice! I didn't know there were this many Japanese places around. :)

Also, for those more experienced at this, are there any other types that hardly anyone likes and that I should just totally avoid (like the sea urchin)?

I am not a fan of the salmon. With so many great-tasting mild fish, and one strong (but delicious) eel, I don't need another strong taste like salmon in the mix. If I want salmon, it will be smoked and on a bagel.

I also am not a fan of any type of "tempura" or "crispy" roll. (What this really means is that they throw deep-fryer cracklings into your sushi. If that's what you're after, why freaking eat sushi? Just go to Red Lobster and get hush puppies instead.)

Spicy tuna--make sure it's done right. If right, it's spiced tuna. If wrong? It's a tuna roll with a dollop of Frank's on it. Like you couldn't do that on your own.

Sushi is awesome; CDX, hope you continue to enjoy it.

I also am not a fan of any type of "tempura" or "crispy" roll. (What this really means is that they throw deep-fryer cracklings into your sushi. If that's what you're after, why freaking eat sushi? Just go to Red Lobster and get hush puppies instead.)

Yeah that seems like something they came up with to "Americanize" the sushi to help grow its popularity over here. I doubt anyone in Japan eats it like that. I'm a big-time healthy eater 95% of the time, which is one of the reasons I'm really digging this cuisine so much.

Definitely. Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate the info!:)

I don't remember what they call it - I want to say Crispy Spider roll - but the local place does one with soft-shell crab (fried, of course.) It's not very sushi-like, but it does taste pretty darn good.

Nice! I didn't know there were this many Japanese places around. :)

Also, for those more experienced at this, are there any other types that hardly anyone likes and that I should just totally avoid (like the sea urchin)?

I'm also a big sushi fan. I tend to stay away from the funkier/slimier stuff (like sea urchin) and one in this ilk that I'd recommend staying away from is raw shrimp. Mackarel isn't as slimy as sea urchin and raw shrimp but has a relatively strong taste kinda like cooked eel.

I like most of the basic/popular kind: salmon, cooked shrimp, yellowtail, tuna, crab, etc. Salmon roe is one that's a bit more adventurous that I also like. At a good sushi place, I also like trying the chef's special rolls -- these are usually some kind of combo like salmon/spicy tuna/crunchy tuna. They're usually double the price of a california or tuna roll but worth a try IMHO.

I am not a fan of the salmon. With so many great-tasting mild fish, and one strong (but delicious) eel, I don't need another strong taste like salmon in the mix. If I want salmon, it will be smoked and on a bagel.

Spicy tuna--make sure it's done right. If right, it's spiced tuna. If wrong? It's a tuna roll with a dollop of Frank's on it. Like you couldn't do that on your own.

I agree on everything here except the salmon, which I like. I don't like tempura at all.

I have all sorts of recommendations...but they are all here in Japan. There are quite a few conveyor belt places here that are absolutely incredible. They make a little of everything and put it on a conveyor belt that goes by every table. When you see something you like, you just grab it. You can special order as well. The best part is, a lot of them charge 100 yen (a little more than $1) per plate. You really can't beat it. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get back to the US and sushi is expensive.

To answer another comment in the thread...Tempura is very popular in Japan, but it's not a form of sushi. Normally when you order a Tempura dish, everything will be lightly breaded and fried (seafood, chicken, vegetables) and then served over rice.

I just had Sushi on South Beach.... :thumbsup: On St Patty's Day, no less. Makes my Irish father go nuts when my absolutely favorite thing to eat in the world is raw fish. Growing up, you couldn't get me to eat any fish other than tuna. Now, I can, and have eaten sushi for days in a row. When I'm on travel, it's always sushi.

I'd say you should just try it all to see if YOU like it. :)

The one thing I really like is tamago, which is a sushi-style piece of sweet egg omlet. I know it sounds strange, but it's good. I haven't run into too much I just don't like, but there are things that are just kinda 'meh'.

I have all sorts of recommendations...but they are all here in Japan. There are quite a few conveyor belt places here that are absolutely incredible. They make a little of everything and put it on a conveyor belt that goes by every table. When you see something you like, you just grab it. You can special order as well. The best part is, a lot of them charge 100 yen (a little more than $1) per plate. You really can't beat it. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get back to the US and sushi is expensive.

To answer another comment in the thread...Tempura is very popular in Japan, but it's not a form of sushi. Normally when you order a Tempura dish, everything will be lightly breaded and fried (seafood, chicken, vegetables) and then served over rice.

Have you ever eaten horse there? I was in Misawa and these military guys took me to a conveyor belt restuarant with the promise of eating raw horse. I remember paying a premium for it. It came in a couple of cubes. Took 'em down. Wasn't good nor bad. Didn't leave me with the need to do again. My mom, who loves horses, is still pissed some ten years later and reminds me about it.

I too must second Wegmans, specifically the one on Alberta drive. I wouldn't try anything crazy there but the spicy salmon/tuna and eel are well made. If you sit at the bar and have the guy make it fresh as opposed to buying it in the package its obviously much better and you usually seem to get more for your money.

Have you ever eaten horse there? I was in Misawa and these military guys took me to a conveyor belt restuarant with the promise of eating raw horse. I remember paying a premium for it. It came in a couple of cubes. Took 'em down. Wasn't good nor bad. Didn't leave me with the need to do again. My mom, who loves horses, is still pissed some ten years later and reminds me about it.

The only reason Westerners don't eat horse regularly is because it historically was more useful for purposes other than food. Don't sweat it.

As for Wegmans (other posts), whether Alberta Dr. or elsewhere, no, that is not quality sushi.

Once or twice. I was pretty indifferent to the taste as well. Did they take you out for Fugu while you were up there?

Archived