[OT] Sushi

cdexchange

Once or twice. I was pretty indifferent to the taste as well. Did they take you out for Fugu while you were up there?

I read that the itamae who are trained to work with fugu have to go through a grueling three-year apprenticeship before they can take the certification test, and then only 35% of the applicants pass the test because the fugu prep is so complicated. Amazing.

Do people eat it regularly there or is it a delicacy?

I'd say you should just try it all to see if YOU like it. :)

The one thing I really like is tamago, which is a sushi-style piece of sweet egg omlet. I know it sounds strange, but it's good. I haven't run into too much I just don't like, but there are things that are just kinda 'meh'.

I totally hear ya man, and I do agree with this philosophy in general. However, at $3 a bite I do kinda wish that someone had told me beforehand that sea urchin tastes like a$$ and almost nobody likes it :lol:. I don't regret trying it though, because now I know and I can cross it off my list.

My whole life I have been telling people that I hated sushi, never having tried it. I finally tried it and it turns out I was right. Not only do I hate sushi, but I don't understand how anyone can even remotely like it.

My whole life I have been telling people that I hated sushi, never having tried it. I finally tried it and it turns out I was right. Not only do I hate sushi, but I don't understand how anyone can even remotely like it.

What did you have exactly, do you remember?

What did you have exactly, do you remember?

Everything. We went with six people to a place that was very good (the guy who said so had a $200 a week sushi habit at the time so I took his word for it). We each ordered two dishes and I sampled each one. I tried. I really did. I felt like sushi was something that I should like but I just don't. Oh well.

I read that the itamae who are trained to work with fugu have to go through a grueling three-year apprenticeship before they can take the certification test, and then only 35% of the applicants pass the test because the fugu prep is so complicated. Amazing.

Do people eat it regularly there or is it a delicacy?

I don't think people have it too often. Fugu is pretty expensive and actually pretty bland. I think most people eat it for the thrill. Definitely worth trying once for the experience though.

I think I'm going to be in for a shock when I move back to the U.S. I really didn't start eating Sushi until I moved to Japan, so I am used to it being pretty cheap. Oh well, I should just enjoy it while it lasts.

I must highly recommend the Fuji Grill 1, 2, or 3 (actually I've only been to 2 & 3 in Hamburg and OP respectively). Great sushi.

Also, Sakura on Union in Cheetovegas (by the old Circuit City near Walden) is damn good too.

I have all sorts of recommendations...but they are all here in Japan. There are quite a few conveyor belt places here that are absolutely incredible. They make a little of everything and put it on a conveyor belt that goes by every table. When you see something you like, you just grab it. You can special order as well. The best part is, a lot of them charge 100 yen (a little more than $1) per plate. You really can't beat it. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get back to the US and sushi is expensive.

To answer another comment in the thread...Tempura is very popular in Japan, but it's not a form of sushi. Normally when you order a Tempura dish, everything will be lightly breaded and fried (seafood, chicken, vegetables) and then served over rice.

I went to Japan several months ago...conveyor belt sushi was amazing!! The special order "shinkansen" conveyor belts were great. We went to one in Aomori, and one in Tokyo (in Shibuya). We also went to the Tsukiji fish market at like 7am...walked around, and then had some uber-fresh sushi around the corner. Where in Japan do you live? Coolest place in the world!

I went to Japan several months ago...conveyor belt sushi was amazing!! The special order "shinkansen" conveyor belts were great. We went to one in Aomori, and one in Tokyo (in Shibuya). We also went to the Tsukiji fish market at like 7am...walked around, and then had some uber-fresh sushi around the corner. Where in Japan do you live? Coolest place in the world!

I live in the Tokyo metro area...maybe 25 miles from the center of the city. The Tsukiji fish market is probably the second best sushi I've ever had. Sapporo's fish market just edges it out. Did you visit anywhere else other than Aomori and Tokyo?

I was starting to think I was the only hetero on the board...

:lol:

This was even funnier because when I first read the word "hetero", I though it was some Japanese word that meant non sushi-eater. It wasn't until I went to the Marriam-Webster site to find out it's kinda the opposite.

Can always count on you Ink. Have you ever actually tried it? I mean sushi, not c*ck :lol:

Nope. I HATE everything fish. If it lives in the water, I don't eat it. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot but that fishy taste makes me want to hurl. Probably take 20 years off my life, oh well. I'm gonna make sure I get the fullest experience I can. :pirate:

Nope. I HATE everything fish. If it lives in the water, I don't eat it. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot but that fishy taste makes me want to hurl. Probably take 20 years off my life, oh well. I'm gonna make sure I get the fullest experience I can. :pirate:

What, no response to this can of corn?

I'll give it a try. No wonder you are still single, Ink!

Sushi is the best.....like others have said, if it wasn't so expensive and if it didn't need to be fresh...I could eat it all the time.

For those that haven't tried it.....if you like steak, a GOOD piece of sashimi salmon is like the best medium-rare steak you have ever had in texture....it just melts in your mouth. Sashimi is the way to be, but it will make you broke 2x as fast.

I can understand why people might get grossed out with sea urchin....but it is the texture doing it to you. If a place has it, I always end the meal with a piece of eel, salmon roe (ikura), and then the sea urchin (uni). It is my dessert I wash down with some Soporro and then light a cigar if I have one handy.

Here's a tip if you eat in at a decent place.....if you can get a seat at the bar, or right near it.....make it a point to give a nice tip to the chefs BEFORE you eat. If they know who you are, they usually take care of you. Tip your server as well, but I've had lunch by myself where the bill was $25 but I tipped the chef a ten spot and he sent me another $20 worth of goodies on the house. They'll send you stuff they like making, even if it isn't on the menu if you let them fire at will when you order.

Growing up in Buffalo....I didn't try sushi til I was 20. I figured it was fu-fu....but now it's my favorite.

For those that haven't tried it.....if you like steak, a GOOD piece of sashimi salmon is like the best medium-rare steak you have ever had in texture....it just melts in your mouth. Sashimi is the way to be, but it will make you broke 2x as fast.

I totally agree. I had some really good hamachi (yellowtail) sashimi last night and I could not believe how delicious it was. I never ever thought that eating a raw piece of animal flesh could taste like that. My wife is a complete food-wuss and would never try it, but she asked me to describe the taste and texture to her and I had great difficulty adequately doing so. I mean what can you really compare that to? It's totally unique.

I totally agree. I had some really good hamachi (yellowtail) sashimi last night and I could not believe how delicious it was. I never ever thought that eating a raw piece of animal flesh could taste like that. My wife is a complete food-wuss and would never try it, but she asked me to describe the taste and texture to her and I had great difficulty adequately doing so. I mean what can you really compare that to? It's totally unique.

I think that is what stumps most "I hate Sushi" folks who have never tried it. You can't believe that raw tuna tastes nothing like the tuna fish you grew up on. If your taste of fish comes from your fish fry experiences, you couldn't be more in left field on what raw fish tastes like.

I never eat the ginger and I don't use the soy sauce. For me, it's tuna/salmon and wasabi, the hotter the better. Jalapenos in my sushi with wasabi is probably my favorite, aka Dynamite rolls..

Oh yea, I stay away from ALL eggs...

Archived