GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

tulax

The only difference in exiting in the 1st or 2nd round is more cash to Tommy. To us the fans does it really matter who we face or what round we exit? If you cant beat the best, you cant be the best. You must be tired D

Tonight we couldn't even score against one of the worst, let alone beat them.

Except for the first few weeks in the season, Miller has carried this team on his back. Now that he's come back to earth, and the real heart of this team as a skater - Kaleta, has been injured - they are a shell of their former selves. They won so many close games earlier, but now it looks like they need to regroup and start getting back to basics. Nice to see Stafford show some heart. Too bad Montador didn't throw any punches. They passed all the tests in November and December, but failed the western road trip test (which I was going to say was their last big test of the year). Ottawa's streak has put these guys on tilt and they haven't responded well. That's not the kind of resilience that a successful playoff team tends to have. It certainly seems like it's crisis time right now. Maybe they will turn it around, but I have decided not to buy playoff tickets this year. I just don't believe they have the right mix to win more than a round. I want to believe but there are too many guys who are paid to do a certain job (i.e. offense) that aren't contributing to the level they should. Is it Lindy's system, is it in their heads right now? Who knows. It just sucks to seem them in this funk. There are only 3 teams in the whole league colder than the Sabres in the last 10 games. The Olympic break can't come soon enough.

Tonight we couldn't even score against one of the worst, let alone beat them.

This a very similar game we have seen throughout the year. The only difference is that Miller didn't shut the door until the Sabres could manage a goal or two. And please, I am not blaming Lalime for tonight's game. I'm just saying their only chance was a goalie playing at a Vezina level like it has been most of this season.

Roy would be a good goat. When the game was still 0-0 in the first, he had Mason at his mercy and couldn't lift it over him from in-tight. Some really dumb penalties again, something this team wasn't guilty of for most of the season.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel the least bit excited when the Roy line is on the ice?

I remember the good old days when Lafontaine would jump over the boards and you just knew in the next minute anything could happen. Heck, I even felt some of the same when we had Briere and Drury here.

Now when I see #9 and #26 on the ice? Ho-hum.

Might be me there's something wrong with.

Am I the only one who doesn't feel the least bit excited when the Roy line is on the ice?

I remember the good old days when Lafontaine would jump over the boards and you just knew in the next minute anything could happen. Heck, I even felt some of the same when we had Briere and Drury here.

Now when I see #9 and #26 on the ice? Ho-hum.

Might be me there's something wrong with.

It's not just you. They really are completely uninteresting/uninspiring.

It's not just you. They really are completely uninteresting/uninspiring.

Roy has to go in the offseason. His play is still as inconsistent as ever. As I have mentioned several times, all the offseason heart to heart talks that Lindy had with Roy about becoming a more mature player was just that...nothing but talk.

Roy has to go in the offseason. His play is still as inconsistent as ever. As I have mentioned several times, all the offseason heart to heart talks that Lindy had with Roy about becoming a more mature player was just that...nothing but talk.

"(Our top two lines are) going to continue to get better. They will... It's continuous growth. It's continuous improvement."

"(Our top two lines are) going to continue to get better. They will... It's continuous growth. It's continuous improvement."

I'm picturing 45 year Pominville, Connolly, Vanek. All with walkers. And Darcy saying that they'll be even better next year.

When the players know they own the team and that their chance of getting traded is very slim, there is no fire to play better. Something needs to be done now to start a fire.

But his sponsors Cellino and Barnes might pull their ads if Roy goes!!!

Oh wait, now I really hope he leaves!

I'm picturing 45 year Pominville, Connolly, Vanek. All with walkers. And Darcy saying that they'll be even better next year.

When the players know they own the team and that their chance of getting traded is very slim, there is no fire to play better. Something needs to be done now to start a fire.

That's as perfect a way to say it as possible.

I've also used the Comfort Theory. Every blessed person in the world of Sabres hockey is comfortable -- except the squirming fans.

That's as perfect a way to say it as possible.

I've also used the Comfort Theory. Every blessed person in the world of Sabres hockey is comfortable -- except the squirming fans.

I'm not sure about that. Weren't there fans calling us alarmists and telling us to relax and telling us that Kovalchuk wouldn't make us better. They sound pretty comfortable.

Last night was, dare I say...boring. And Depressing. And Embarassing. The team looked like $hit. They looked asleep on their skates, even in the warm up. Sloooooow skating and sloppy, sloppy passing. They were just going through the motions and even Lindy on the bench was stoic and uninvolved.

Honestly, the Blue Jackets don't skate that well either, that first lucky bounce goal kinda set the tone and it just felt like the Sabres were done at that point. No buzz like in the past just waiting for them to light Mason up for 3 or more...it just wasn't gonna happen.

Crowd was good...lots of Sabre fans. The arena announcer was an annoying dude who kept spitting jabs at the Sabre fans. Here's one: he was interviewing a little kid who scored a goal during the 1st intermission mighty-mite game and he says "Congratulations young man! You looked just like Brett Hull did in the '99 cup finals! Great player! Just ask the Sabre fans...they love Brett Hull"!

Then, as he was commenting on the chicks throwing pizzas into the crowd he said "OOOOhh nice shot! That throw was right on! Maybe you could call Scott Norwood and give him some pointers"!

Cheap shots...why? I wonder if other arena announcers do this when the Sabres come to town. Do we do that in our building?

Someone mentioned Rick Nash... have always coveted him for the Sabres...he's a good skater and I believe he is close to 30 goals this year? He is also a good kid...there were some little fans on the exit gate and when he left last night he drove right up to them and opened his door and signed everything they had. And it was like 10 degrees out.

We waited in that frigid air for the bus but it was parked underground and it rolled out and right by us, fast. The bus driver waved and my kid started crying...she wanted Pommers to sign her jersey but we just could not even get close to those guys.

The Sabres need to get back to what they do best which is playing good defensive hockey.Slow down a little, think about what your doing, and stop making the dumb mistakes. One thing I always liked about Tyler Myers from day one is the kid plays smart, he's not afraid to hesitate for a moment when needed before moving the puck.

Sure , we need goal scoring, but more importantly the Sabres have to stop giving up 4 goals a night...

I'm not sure about that. Weren't there fans calling us alarmists and telling us to relax and telling us that Kovalchuk wouldn't make us better. They sound pretty comfortable.

No, it was because the discussion was so worn out it wasn't worth reading anymore. There are solutions out there to this team's problems and Kovalchuk wasn't it.

All we can hope for as the squirming fans, is that somehow something gets done that does address the problems. The odds of that happening unless we drop out of the playoffs seem very slim though.

Last night was, dare I say...boring. And Depressing. And Embarassing. The team looked like $hit. They looked asleep on their skates, even in the warm up. Sloooooow skating and sloppy, sloppy passing. They were just going through the motions and even Lindy on the bench was stoic and uninvolved.

Honestly, the Blue Jackets don't skate that well either, that first lucky bounce goal kinda set the tone and it just felt like the Sabres were done at that point. No buzz like in the past just waiting for them to light Mason up for 3 or more...it just wasn't gonna happen.

Crowd was good...lots of Sabre fans. The arena announcer was an annoying dude who kept spitting jabs at the Sabre fans. Here's one: he was interviewing a little kid who scored a goal during the 1st intermission mighty-mite game and he says "Congratulations young man! You looked just like Brett Hull did in the '99 cup finals! Great player! Just ask the Sabre fans...they love Brett Hull"!

Then, as he was commenting on the chicks throwing pizzas into the crowd he said "OOOOhh nice shot! That throw was right on! Maybe you could call Scott Norwood and give him some pointers"!

Cheap shots...why? I wonder if other arena announcers do this when the Sabres come to town. Do we do that in our building?

Someone mentioned Rick Nash... have always coveted him for the Sabres...he's a good skater and I believe he is close to 30 goals this year? He is also a good kid...there were some little fans on the exit gate and when he left last night he drove right up to them and opened his door and signed everything they had. And it was like 10 degrees out.

We waited in that frigid air for the bus but it was parked underground and it rolled out and right by us, fast. The bus driver waved and my kid started crying...she wanted Pommers to sign her jersey but we just could not even get close to those guys.

Buffalo definitely does not do what you describe above to opponents teams and fans in HSBC arena. Matter of fact, that sounds about the worst I've ever heard. But given my college football experience I would say it is "typical of Ohio State"... so not all that surprised it happened in Columbus.

No, it was because the discussion was so worn out it wasn't worth reading anymore. There are solutions out there to this team's problems and Kovalchuk wasn't it.

All we can hope for as the squirming fans, is that somehow something gets done that does address the problems. The odds of that happening unless we drop out of the playoffs seem very slim though.

It's almost as worn out as the discussion on why the next superstar would not work in Lindy Ruff's system.

I love how nobody wants to trade away who we've got for a star, saying, "It's too much to give up for X", and then complain about who we've got for not performing.

Another one I love is, "I'm not willing to mortgage the future of the team for X". In the age of free agency and the salary cap, there is no future. There is only now. People are fooling themselves if they think that Darcy was on his way to building some sort of dynasty (twice) were it not for "the rug being pulled out from under him" by ownership.

It's almost as worn out as the discussion on why the next superstar would not work in Lindy Ruff's system.

I love how nobody wants to trade away who we've got for a star, saying, "It's too much to give up for X", and then complain about who we've got for not performing.

Another one I love is, "I'm not willing to mortgage the future of the team for X". In the age of free agency and the salary cap, there is no future. There is only now. People are fooling themselves if they think that Darcy was on his way to building some sort of dynasty (twice) were it not for "the rug being pulled out from under him" by ownership.

I love the "mortgage the future" point. It is 100% spot on.

According to Regier and some fans there is never a good time for a trade and overly talented hockey players will only hurt the team. I don't get it. We shouldn't make trades when the team is out of the playoffs because the Sabres will be "dealing from a point of weakness." Can't make a deal when the team is going well because you "don't want to upset team chemistry." Forget the off-season. The free agent market is far to volatile for Regier who is always shocked when good players sign with other teams.

I didn't expect the Sabres to get Kovy and I don't expect them to do anything significant. As I said before they are already celebrating their "Stanley Cup" which is just making the playoffs. Let's face it. The only players anyone would be interested in is Miller, Myers and maybe Roy. The Sabres have little talent on the NHL roster and the small amount of talent they do have is grossly overpaid. I am beginning to realize I may be mad at Regier for the wrong reasons. I shouldn't be mad at him for not trading for Kovy. I should be mad at Regier for building a roster that has nothing the Thrashers would have wanted in return which to me is much worse.

I love the "mortgage the future" point. It is 100% spot on.

According to Regier and some fans there is never a good time for a trade and overly talented hockey players will only hurt the team. I don't get it. We shouldn't make trades when the team is out of the playoffs because the Sabres will be "dealing from a point of weakness." Can't make a deal when the team is going well because you "don't want to upset team chemistry." Forget the off-season. The free agent market is far to volatile for Regier who is always shocked when good players sign with other teams.

I didn't expect the Sabres to get Kovy and I don't expect them to do anything significant. As I said before they are already celebrating their "Stanley Cup" which is just making the playoffs. Let's face it. The only players anyone would be interested in is Miller, Myers and maybe Roy. The Sabres have little talent on the NHL roster and the small amount of talent they do have is grossly overpaid. I am beginning to realize I may be mad at Regier for the wrong reasons. I shouldn't be mad at him for not trading for Kovy. I should be mad at Regier for building a roster that has nothing the Thrashers would have wanted in return which to me is much worse.

This is how I feel. I know everyone here wants to trade away our underachievers, and I don't oppose that notion. I just don't think it's possible for us to change this team significantly through trades unless we can find someone who is enough of a sucker to do so. The reason this team isn't a player in the trade market is because no one wants to play with us.

I do think there are players out there we could get via trade; I'm just not sure they'd really be anything more than role players.

Don't forget the best part about Darcy's interview: "I don't see this as our only shot."

Isn't he admitting he is willing to toss away what little shot the Sabres have this season? Does he seriously believe that he will have Miller at the level he played this year and avoid injuries like the Sabres have done this year over the next 3-5 years? How does a GM of a team that misses the playoffs more often than it makes it justify such arrogance? It's truly unbelievable. :wallbash:

Archived