+/- says it all right?

Grinder42

Anyone wanna guess who has 16 goals 24 assist for 40 points and a -8? Well, those are Max's numbers playing with a skilled player like Kovalchuk. He has more points than any of the Sabres and his plus minus is better than McCarthur and Butler....Odd how Lindy doesn't have either of these players in his dog house. Clarke has 9 more minutes in penalties as well. Is it because he is playing way over his expected contribution level or is it something else. Butler is playing way too soft for a guy of his talent.

I am not trying to be a downer or a Max backer. I do however like Max as I always felt he was expected to be the next great player because he could skate. However, I am wondering why we keep Ellis, and Mair in the lineup.....neither of these players brings a consistant physical game and cannot kill penalties such as Grier. This team has faltered and suffered from poor starts recently. It is all too obvious how important Patrick Kaletta is to this team. He is an emotional leader who I for one thinks could become a regular contributor on a second line!

Another Plus for the sabres is Tim Kennedy! This kid from south Buffalo has guts and grit....he is undersized but a tenatious player in the corner. Which begs the question why does he not play on the powerplay regularly. When he has he has chipped in.Myers and Rivet on the point....Connolly, Poninville and Kennedy sounds good to me.. Vanek and Goose on the second with kaletta and Butler and Lydman at the point.

Wouldn't it make sense to get Ennis or Gerbe or Mancari in the lineup instead of Mair or Ellis. I think Chris Neil may have been right when he said Mair was a punching bag.I just think if were not going to get checking from these two player maybe we need to let then go become career minor leaguers. Were going to need grit and scoring come the playoffs. Sorry Adam you have neither maybe that is why you started the season out of the lineup!

Are we really better than last year? maybe.

I couldn't agree more....these next 7 games may shape our season. I am hoping for a minimum of 10 points.....anything else and we may be in trouble.I just am not feeling very good about recent play. The physical play that was very apparrent in the first 15 games is almost all but gone. I hope it returns! I'd also like to see vanek start scoring meaningful goals.......

All margarita's aside tonight. Whiskeys quickr. We used to have 1 player in the minus. Now . 5. Road trip is telling.

wondering why you ask, is it because I am originally from Buffalo? what did you find so ludicrous? The power play concept.....like what we currently employ each night amounts to anything.....When your best play is a shot from the point and an attempted deflection by an overpaid lazy winger in the form of Vanek...well, why not try something different. I love Ruff, mainly because he is a man of his own convictions...

Closing point....maybe I need a drink to feel part of Buffalo again.....

Your points aside, I've gotta ask: Are you wasted?

I couldn't agree more....these next 7 games may shape our season. I am hoping for a minimum of 10 points.....anything else and we may be in trouble.I just am not feeling very good about recent play. The physical play that was very apparrent in the first 15 games is almost all but gone. I hope it returns! I'd also like to see vanek start scoring meaningful goals.......

Yes, Vanek's goal in the 3rd against Colorado to spark a comeback was completely meaningless...as was the shootout tally that could have ended it.

"We don't have a superstar in the top 10 in goals or points! The sky is falling!"

Anyone wanna guess who has 16 goals 24 assist for 40 points and a -8? Well, those are Max's numbers playing with a skilled player like Kovalchuk. He has more points than any of the Sabres and his plus minus is better than McCarthur and Butler....Odd how Lindy doesn't have either of these players in his dog house. Clarke has 9 more minutes in penalties as well. Is it because he is playing way over his expected contribution level or is it something else. Butler is playing way too soft for a guy of his talent.

I am not trying to be a downer or a Max backer. I do however like Max as I always felt he was expected to be the next great player because he could skate. However, I am wondering why we keep Ellis, and Mair in the lineup.....neither of these players brings a consistant physical game and cannot kill penalties such as Grier. This team has faltered and suffered from poor starts recently. It is all too obvious how important Patrick Kaletta is to this team. He is an emotional leader who I for one thinks could become a regular contributor on a second line!

Another Plus for the sabres is Tim Kennedy! This kid from south Buffalo has guts and grit....he is undersized but a tenatious player in the corner. Which begs the question why does he not play on the powerplay regularly. When he has he has chipped in.Myers and Rivet on the point....Connolly, Poninville and Kennedy sounds good to me.. Vanek and Goose on the second with kaletta and Butler and Lydman at the point.

Wouldn't it make sense to get Ennis or Gerbe or Mancari in the lineup instead of Mair or Ellis. I think Chris Neil may have been right when he said Mair was a punching bag.I just think if were not going to get checking from these two player maybe we need to let then go become career minor leaguers. Were going to need grit and scoring come the playoffs. Sorry Adam you have neither maybe that is why you started the season out of the lineup!

Are we really better than last year? maybe.

Also, Mair was injured to start the season, it wasn't because he "doesn't play with grit and scoring".

Anyone want to guess which team is 5th in the league in points and which team just won in regulation for the first time in 21 starts?

And in those 21 games, Max has 5 goals, 10 assists and is a minus 13.

The Sabres aren't perfect and there are some things they will need to improve on but putting a couple of midgets on the 4th line isn't one of them.

I do however like Max as I always felt he was expected to be the next great player because he could skate.

I felt this way too, until I saw him skate around every player on the ice an then shoot the puck 5 feet wide, give it right to a defenseman or just skate around meaninglessly in the offensive zone until he turned the puck over.

The initial point is a fair one though. I do not understand why both Mair and Ellis continue to get playing time. I can see the need for one (most likely Mair) in a quasi-enforcer role, but not both.

God bless Ellis. The man works harder than anyone on the team and he shows nothing but heart. However, he just isn't very good. It would be different if he was a fighter or hit people without regard for his own safety (see: Kaleta), but I'm not sure what his function is out there other than to show some of the slackers what it means to work hard. I suppose there is some value to that, but it is still hard to believe that professional athletes need an example to show them how to be motivated to work hard.

When you have some talent to put out there in Ellis's place (Gerbe, Ennis... it even might be interesting to see Mancari's laser on the powerplay), he's taking up a roster spot. Ellis is a hard working, likeable player. But there's a reason that Rudy only got into one game for Notre Dame, and only after the outcome of that game was already decided.

these next 7 games may shape our season. I am hoping for a minimum of 10 points.....anything else and we may be in trouble.

Really? Trouble? If we went 5-2 on the road trip we'd very likely increase the division lead. Have you noticed how poorly BOS and OTT have been playing? If we get 6 points, avoid any major/long-term injuries, and Lalime plays twice, we'll be more than set. :)

Let me guess...all 7 games are 'must win'??

:rolleyes:

I felt this way too, until I saw him skate around every player on the ice an then shoot the puck 5 feet wide, give it right to a defenseman or just skate around meaninglessly in the offensive zone until he turned the puck over.

Bingo. It's good to see someone point this out, and you're only talking about his offense - not even mentioning defense... which is beyond terrible. What absolutely shocks me is that the sentiment among Sabres fans seems to be "Bring Back Max" and "Get Rid of Lindy". Huh?

When I hear that I am wondering if folks are watching games... not only Sabres games, but others around the league. Max wasn't exactly "snapped up" when the Sabres made him a free agent... Lindy sure as heck would be if the Sabres decided to make a change.

Really? Trouble? If we went 5-2 on the road trip we'd very likely increase the division lead. Have you noticed how poorly BOS and OTT have been playing? If we get 6 points, avoid any major/long-term injuries, and Lalime plays twice, we'll be more than set. :)

If we're mentioning Ottawa, we have to mention Montreal too. They're tied with Ottawa now.

This team is 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference and still some complain. I know this team has its flaws but all do. They are playing better than any one would have thought at the beginning of the season. Just try to enjoy watching the games.We will have plenty of time to stress out during the playoffs.

Bingo. It's good to see someone point this out, and you're only talking about his offense - not even mentioning defense... which is beyond terrible. What absolutely shocks me is that the sentiment among Sabres fans seems to be "Bring Back Max" and "Get Rid of Lindy". Huh?

When I hear that I am wondering if folks are watching games... not only Sabres games, but others around the league. Max wasn't exactly "snapped up" when the Sabres made him a free agent... Lindy sure as heck would be if the Sabres decided to make a change.

Good point ... in fact, Max was brought into Thrashers camp for a pro tryout before they signed him. He was signed on Sept. 29, a couple days before the season started. So let's please stop with all this stuff about Lindy missing the boat on Max .... NO ONE wanted him and he signed for $800,000 ... down from $3.5 million/year. He had ZERO options.

Let me guess...all 7 games are 'must win'??

I thought every game is a must win.

I was under the impression a win is worth 2 points and going to OT/SO with a lose is worth 1 point, so it would benefit the team to win as many games as they can. Hmmmm.......well, I guess I was just schooled, so tell me, what games are considered not to be "must wins", enlighten me, please? :rolleyes:

I was under the impression a win is worth 2 points and going to OT/SO with a lose is worth 1 point, so it would benefit the team to win as many games as they can. Hmmmm.......well, I guess I was just schooled, so tell me, what games are considered not to be "must wins", enlighten me, please? :rolleyes:

I take it that someone hasn't been introduced yet to the running "must win game" joke that is floating around this board.

Wins are worth 2 points, OT/SO losses are worth 1 point, regulation losses eliminate you from the playoffs. Didn't you read up on the new rules?

Archived