Interesting stat.

nucci

Sabres have not given up a goal in the 3rd period in the last 6 games. Loss to Caps Dec 23rd was last time.

I call that Alamo mode. Defend the mission. Makes for boring hockey, but it sure looks good in the standings.

I call that Alamo mode. Defend the mission. Makes for boring hockey, but it sure looks good in the standings.

Not exactly, except for the Atlanta game the Sabres 3rd period defense wasn't exactly "shut down."

13-10-4-9-14-9 - shots allowed in the third over the last six games.

Not exactly, except for the Atlanta game the Sabres 3rd period defense wasn't exactly "shut down."

How many were scoring chances, though? If they're all to the outside and harmless, who cares how many shots there were. No goals is no goals. That's the definition of "shut down".

How many were scoring chances, though? If they're all to the outside and harmless, who cares how many shots there were. No goals is no goals. That's the definition of "shut down".

exactly what I have been saying...the other teams "look good" playing in our end a lot of the period, but accomplish next to nothing. They harmlessly cycle behind the net for 45 seconds, then try to center the puck and it gets intercepted and sent out to center. They get bodied off the puck and the Sabres make a few quick passes and its down the ice. They take shots from the point that get blocked and the Sabres clear it down the ice. They take shots from the point the Miller easily grabs and holds because the Sabre defensemen are clearing out everyone in front of the net. Yes, watching the game, you think "why is the other team constantly in our zone"?, but then you realize they are basically just wasting time doing nothing as the time runs off the clock...

exactly what I have been saying...the other teams "look good" playing in our end a lot of the period, but accomplish next to nothing. They harmlessly cycle behind the net for 45 seconds, then try to center the puck and it gets intercepted and sent out to center. They get bodied off the puck and the Sabres make a few quick passes and its down the ice. They take shots from the point that get blocked and the Sabres clear it down the ice. They take shots from the point the Miller easily grabs and holds because the Sabre defensemen are clearing out everyone in front of the net. Yes, watching the game, you think "why is the other team constantly in our zone"?, but then you realize they are basically just wasting time doing nothing as the time runs off the clock...

This myth about shots only coming from the point late in games needs to be stopped. Really guys, come on, let's keep the conversation real.

This myth about shots only coming from the point late in games needs to be stopped. Really guys, come on, let's keep the conversation real.

If you want the conversation to be reality-based, then you might need to stop beating the "it's all Miller; the team defense stinks because they are 22nd in shots against even though they are leading the league in scoring defense and have the rookie of the year playing 25 minutes per game on D as well as other very good 2-way forwards like Grier, Hecht, Pommer, TC, Gaustad, Roy, etc." drum.

When a team is trailing going into the 3rd period, it will generally give up a decent amount of shots against in the 3rd. And even so, the Sabres have held the opposition to 10 shots or less 4 out of the last 6 games.

"Shut down defense" or "shut down goal-tending?"

I think it's "shut down defense". I don't think the defense has been given enough credit by the media for Miller's success this year. Overall, I think they have allowed clear shots to the net, allowed few rebounds and pretty much given Miller shots that a goaltender is supposed to make. Granted Miller has been the best goaltender in the league and has won some games for us that we shouldn't have won, but I don't think he would be tops in the league statistically if he had an average defense in front of him.

I didn't use the word shut down. In fact, I'm not a big proponent of Alamo mode before the 10 minute mark of the third. It infers that they defend the zone vice attack. The fact that they are getting outshot also points out that they are defending the zone. The only argument I have with folks on here is recognizing when they are in it. I think if they enter the 3rd with a lead, they are in Alamo mode. Other suggests they wait until mid period.

13-10-4 -9-14-9 - shots allowed in the third over the last six games.

Shots on goal does not reflect the team's play. On the season, the Sabres are just 8-7 when outshooting the opponent, but 19-8 when being outshot. Toronto leads the league in shot differential and is in last place. The team that's winning will often protect the lead by sitting back in the zone permitting bad angle shots to avoid getting caught in outnumbered breaks. Losing teams will desperately shoot from any angle hoping to get lucky and put one in. It's similar to passing yardage in the NFL. You'll see the losing team routinely have more passing yardage than the winning team because after a team builds a safe 4th quarter lead they will usually sit back in a deep zone allowing underneath passes in what's called "garbage time".

Shots on goal does not reflect the team's play. On the season, the Sabres are just 8-7 when outshooting the opponent, but 19-8 when being outshot. Toronto leads the league in shot differential and is in last place. The team that's winning will often protect the lead by sitting back in the zone permitting bad angle shots to avoid getting caught in outnumbered breaks. Losing teams will desperately shoot from any angle hoping to get lucky and put one in. It's similar to passing yardage in the NFL. You'll see the losing team routinely have more passing yardage than the winning team because after a team builds a safe 4th quarter lead they will usually sit back in a deep zone allowing underneath passes in what's called "garbage time".

Boom! DeLuca's argument explodes!

Nice work.

I think it's "shut down defense". I don't think the defense has been given enough credit by the media for Miller's success this year. Overall, I think they have allowed clear shots to the net, allowed few rebounds and pretty much given Miller shots that a goaltender is supposed to make. Granted Miller has been the best goaltender in the league and has won some games for us that we shouldn't have won, but I don't think he would be tops in the league statistically if he had an average defense in front of him.

One of the big differences this year IMO. I remember sooo many times last year that our D tried to stop the puck with their sticks, gloves, etc only to have it go off them and into the net. Then the Miller WTF look.

And when there is a rebound, they generally wind up on a Sabre stick. Sure, the goalie plays a role in that, but the D plays just as much of a role.

That would be the WTF wave, not WTF look. biggrin.gif

I am so glad he has all but eliminated the WTF wave ... I was bored the other day and watching highlights on NHL.com from the 2006 playoffs and I swear he did it after every goal. Granted, in that 7-6 win over Ottawa it was warranted at times, there was almost no defense played in front of him, and there were a lot of crazy bounces, but still ... it's like nails on a chalkboard.

Well said.

Boom! DeLuca's argument explodes!

Nice work.

Not even close. A better effort than simply rewriting the "all shots in the third are from bad angles and the point" will be needed. It remains simply a myth held on by those that dread the reality.

I just keep coming with facts and stats and continue to brush off myths no matter how they are written and rewritten.

If you want the conversation to be reality-based, then you might need to stop beating the "it's all Miller; the team defense stinks because they are 22nd in shots against even though they are leading the league in scoring defense and have the rookie of the year playing 25 minutes per game on D as well as other very good 2-way forwards like Grier, Hecht, Pommer, TC, Gaustad, Roy, etc." drum.

When a team is trailing going into the 3rd period, it will generally give up a decent amount of shots against in the 3rd. And even so, the Sabres have held the opposition to 10 shots or less 4 out of the last 6 games.

B-)

Archived