Interesting stat.

nucci

Not even close. A better effort than simply rewriting the "all shots in the third are from bad angles and the point" will be needed. It remains simply a myth held on by those that dread the reality.

I just keep coming with facts and stats and continue to brush off myths no matter how they are written and rewritten.

I assume your eyes and brain work, no? Did you miss the 2 stats below? Do you not realize what they do to your "theory?"

On the season, the Sabres are just 8-7 when outshooting the opponent, but 19-8 when being outshot.

Toronto leads the league in shot differential and is in last place.

I assume your eyes and brain work, no? Did you miss the 2 stats below? Do you not realize what they do to your "theory?"

It's classic DeLuca...as soon as he's been painted into a corner he just changes the argument or throws up yet another straw man.

FOR GOOD 3rd period PLAY:

Staying out of the penalty box

Good netminding

Blcoking shots

Counter attacking with good breakouts and first passes

Gaining the blue line for dump ins for changes

Short shifts (35-40 second) -- can only do this if you get good dump ins

Hungry players who are strong on their stick and good along the walls (Pominville, #25, Hecht, Kaleta, Stafford are good at this IMO)

being able to control play in the opposiion side of the blue line. Gaustad, Ellis, Roy and Pominville use their feets well and use great balance to keep cycles going = time off the clock. This can also draw penalties and make the oppositions best play making offensive player have to play defense

having a good center for face-offs (paul #28 is No. 1 with his %)

not icing the puck.

They prove it. The Sabres have a great winning percentage when being outshot because of Miller. It supports the argument. Like last night. 50 shots - 48 saves. And it's no surprise the Sabres have a .500 record when out shooting their opponents considering how bad their offense and power play have been.

It's classic DeLuca...as soon as he's been painted into a corner he just changes the argument or throws up yet another straw man.

The argument is consistent and factual. It must be really frustrating having these myths continuously blown up. There is no "strawman" just the paper tiger that is the Sabres defense.

The argument is consistent and factual. It must be really frustrating having these myths continuously blown up. There is no "strawman" just the paper tiger that is the Sabres defense.

Well, it IS frustrating arguing with you, I'll give you that. Kinda like arguing with a young-earth creationist...they think their argument is consistent and factual too. In the end arguing with them is really just a waste of time, and life's too short. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with your goalie being your best player. I prefer it.

"Your best player." I'm talking the league's best player. MVP as in Hart Trophy.

I have to ask. Is no one else really concerned about Miller's work load night after night? You have a goalie who will be playing about 70 games this season barring injury and not including the Olympics? And fans want to dismiss that facing 30+ shots a night is not a good thing? I've seen Miller in person without equipment. He is a frail man. There is no way he can keep up his level of play over the amount of games he will need to play and the work load this teams lays on him each night. This team needs to develop a playoff style over the next 40 games. A style which needs to include being more physical, sacrificing the body to block shots, creating more turnovers a stronger commitment to defense. They need to give nights off where he has little to no work. They have individuals willing to do these things. It needs to spread throughout the team.

"Your best player." I'm talking the league's best player. MVP as in Hart Trophy.

I have to ask. Is no one else really concerned about Miller's work load night after night? You have a goalie who will be playing about 70 games this season barring injury and not including the Olympics? And fans want to dismiss that facing 30+ shots a night is not a good thing? I've seen Miller in person without equipment. He is a frail man. There is no way he can keep up his level of play over the amount of games he will need to play and the work load this teams lays on him each night. This team needs to develop a playoff style over the next 40 games. A style which needs to include being more physical, sacrificing the body to block shots, creating more turnovers a stronger commitment to defense. They need to give nights off where he has little to no work. They have individuals willing to do these things. It needs to spread throughout the team.

I just read that Brodeur played his 21st straight game last night. How come no one ever worries about him? I think it comes down to conditioning. I've read that Miller is using swimming to work his muscles and not weight lifting. Looks like it is working to me.

Bordeur is 6'2", 215 and 37 years old

Miller is 6'2", 175 and 29 years old

I just read that Brodeur played his 21st straight game last night. How come no one ever worries about him? I think it comes down to conditioning. I've read that Miller is using swimming to work his muscles and not weight lifting. Looks like it is working to me.

Bordeur is 6'2", 215 and 37 years old

Miller is 6'2", 175 and 29 years old

Brodeur has proven he can do it. Until Miller does it there are going to be doubts.

Brodeur has proven he can do it. Until Miller does it there are going to be doubts.

You argue with forked tongue. Here you say until he proves he can do it there will be doubts. Just before you said isn't anyone worried by the number of starts. How exactly does he get to prove it unless he gets to try it?

You argue with forked tongue. Here you say until he proves he can do it there will be doubts. Just before you said isn't anyone worried by the number of starts. How exactly does he get to prove it unless he gets to try it?

If you have been following the on going conversation you would know I'm not concerned about the number of starts. I'm concerned about the work load in those starts. The Sabres give up way too many shots and scoring chances. He rarely if ever gets a freebie. A start with little action and few scoring chances. I am concerned about 70 starts at 30+ shots per game.

While the 1st post is more or less from outer space, I can't argue with the next 2. I don't think anyone here is rock-solid confident that this team is going to go deep into the playoffs this year. Still, they are greatly improved over the last 2 years and have many of the pieces in place for playoff success.

If you have been following the on going conversation you would know I'm not concerned about the number of starts. I'm concerned about the work load in those starts. The Sabres give up way too many shots and scoring chances. He rarely if ever gets a freebie. A start with little action and few scoring chances. I am concerned about 70 starts at 30+ shots per game.

Fair enough.

I'd rather see Thomas start for the US in the Olympics. Let Boston add those starts onto their goalie's total. All I want is the Stanley Cup. I'll watch the Olympics and I'll root for the US, but I'd rather see Miller get the rest for the stretch run.

While the 1st post is more or less from outer space, I can't argue with the next 2. I don't think anyone here is rock-solid confident that this team is going to go deep into the playoffs this year. Still, they are greatly improved over the last 2 years and have many of the pieces in place for playoff success.

We may not be as far apart on our opinions as first thought. I will concede that Myers, Grier and Kennedy give this team a lot of what they missed last season. The roster, as is, is a playoff team. My concern is beyond that, I don't want the playoff chances to hinge on Millers health. I don't agree that their current style of play is conducive to playoff success. There are 40 games to change my opinion. I hope we all see that change. I have been impressed with Tim Connolly over the past few games. Not the scoring, I've seen him sprawled on the ice trying to make a play. Not just once, several times. I am hoping to see others on this roster selling out like that. With a hot goalie anything is possible. There are improvements to be made on this roster. Why not make them now and ride the hot goalie as far as it can go.

The Sabres are now 20-8 when being outshot, and 8-8 when outshooting the opponent. If we do Deluca Deduction, I guess that this is proof that the Sabres defense stinks, Ruff should be fired, and white tube socks go well with black wingtips.

I've been here a long time. You need a much better effort than that. Don't piggy back on others posts when you don't understand the conversation. If you feel the need, please explain how having a winning record when being out shot is more of a positive reflection on the defense than the goal-tending. I'll wait for you to scan the posts of others for a answer.

I've been here a long time. You need a much better effort than that. Don't piggy back on others posts when you don't understand the conversation. If you feel the need, please explain how having a winning record when being out shot is more of a positive reflection on the defense than the goal-tending. I'll wait for you to scan the posts of others for a answer.

Apparently, you've also been wrong for a long time. Anyway, your cause regarding shots-on-goal is completely unsupported. As far as I'm concerned, if you still haven't yet grasped the obvious I'm not going to waste anymore time spoon feeding it to you. I leave you to your quest, Mr. Quixote. The windmill awaits.

Apparently, you've also been wrong for a long time. Anyway, your cause regarding shots-on-goal is completely unsupported. As far as I'm concerned, if you still haven't yet grasped the obvious I'm not going to waste anymore time spoon feeding it to you. I leave you to your quest, Mr. Quixote. The windmill awaits.

Is that really your best? :blink:

When some of us brought this up early in the season, you brushed it off. You had no interest in Ruff using Lalime to spell Miller, and you had no interest in Ruff giving Lalime some game time so that he could be halfway decent when he does spell Miller.

Archived