Lydman named to Finnish Olympic team

FogBat

I think 90% of the posters here underrate Toni. He's not a turnover machine. He plays the body (about twice per game), makes good outlet passes (except the glaring turnovers, and the one assist every ten games), and is solid on both ends of the ice (he shows up the other end of the ice and has about one shot per game, and scores once every 25).

Yeah, I think I'm in the 90% that underrate this excellent D-man.

Guess who's tied for #2 on the team in +/-?

Who would have thought at the end of last year that Tallinder and Lydman would be leading the team in this category about halfway through this year?

Probably anyone looking at their contract status...

Lydman, Tallinder and Paetsch are all UFAs at the end of the year. We have a history of generally not signing our own free agents, so I was looking at who might slot into a spot next year if we fail to sign at least one of those three (since we have 8 on the roster right now). In Portland, Mike Weber is +16 on a marginal Pirates team. The next best +/- player is +6. I remember hearing Paul Hamilton in the pre-season say that he doesn't think Weber is even close to making the team, but maybe he has grown a bit down there this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Tallinder back again next year to pair with Myers.

I am wary about the Rivet/Butler pairing. Rivet has looked slow and has struggled at times, but he is still even on +/- while Butler is the worst on the team at -10. Hopefully it's just youth and he can be more of a shutdown guy 5 on 5 moving forward.

I think 90% of the posters here underrate Toni. He's not a turnover machine. He plays the body, makes good outlet passes, and is solid on both ends of the ice.

I am one of the 10% then. I think Lydman has been the best overall defenseman on this team for the last several years.

Lydman, Tallinder and Paetsch are all UFAs at the end of the year. We have a history of generally not signing our own free agents, so I was looking at who might slot into a spot next year if we fail to sign at least one of those three (since we have 8 on the roster right now). In Portland, Mike Weber is +16 on a marginal Pirates team. The next best +/- player is +6. I remember hearing Paul Hamilton in the pre-season say that he doesn't think Weber is even close to making the team, but maybe he has grown a bit down there this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Tallinder back again next year to pair with Myers.

I am wary about the Rivet/Butler pairing. Rivet has looked slow and has struggled at times, but he is still even on +/- while Butler is the worst on the team at -10. Hopefully it's just youth and he can be more of a shutdown guy 5 on 5 moving forward.

The Sekara/Montadore tandem is the one pairing that leaves me in suspense. They both like rushing the puck and both do lose it but seem to recover. And Sekara needs to get better at covering 2-1 breaks

Yeah, I think I'm in the 90% that underrate this excellent D-man.

Snide comments aside, he's more than a serviceable defenseman. Maybe you fall into the snapshot mentality, because his gaffs are usually of the eye-popping variety, but his overall game is solid. Right now he's at best their 3rd best defenseman. I'd like to see him slotted down a couple of pegs, but that would mean Bulter and Sekera step up their games big time.

Snide comments aside, he's more than a serviceable defenseman. Maybe you fall into the snapshot mentality, because his gaffs are usually of the eye-popping variety, but his overall game is solid. Right now he's at best their 3rd best defenseman. I'd like to see him slotted down a couple of pegs, but that would mean Bulter and Sekera step up their games big time.

Nothing personal Ink, and apologies on the snide comments - reading them the next day just makes them look even worse.

I don't know about Lydman honestly - last year really clouded my judgment on how I felt about him. It is easy to forget how well some one plays when the team is doing good.

Reading all you veterans' comments about Lydman does make me think that maybe I'm seeing my own things out there. I'll remain in that 90% camp for now, but thanks for the pointers.

I think 90% of the posters here underrate Toni. He's not a turnover machine. He plays the body, makes good outlet passes, and is solid on both ends of the ice.

That's something that the eternal pessimist in me tends to forget. I think I'll go for one of these right now: :bag:

Archived