Kaleta versus Peters

Doohickie

But hey, Peters was a 2nd round draft pick lol. :oops:

Kaleta is a hard charging power forward. This kid is simply awsome to watch. Reminds me of Mike Foligno.

He keeps charging hard to the net and getting under the skin of the opponents he could culminate to a 20+ goal scorer. This kid is simply a very hard working hockey player and Buffalo fans should be dam proud he is on the team.

Kaleta is a hard charging power forward. This kid is simply awsome to watch. Reminds me of Mike Foligno.

He keeps charging hard to the net and getting under the skin of the opponents he could culminate to a 20+ goal scorer. This kid is simply a very hard working hockey player and Buffalo fans should be dam proud he is on the team.

:thumbsup:

I just thought I would point out that Peters goal total for his CAREER is 4. Kaleta already has 6 this SEASON.

While I'm not a big Peters fan, he was a heavy wieght enforcer type. Kaleta is a body checking pest. If you want to explore whether or not Peters' role is being eliminated from the game, now that is a discussion we can have. Kaleta is obviously vastly more talented than Andrew will ever be, but nobody is worried about a right upper cut from Patty. (not that many were afraid of Peters' punches either, but at least he threw some)

Kaleta is a hard charging power forward.

Next thing you know, someone will be calling Clarke MacArthur a power forward. Oh wait. :doh:

I understand where you are coming from with this take, and maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics, but I would not thrust Kaleta into the "power forward" category. This term immediately leads me to images of Cam Nealy, Brenden Shanahan, Bill Guerin, Eric Lindros, and Ryan Smyth. All prolific scorers. While Patty's offensive game is just being tapped, I can't imagine he'll ever pot more than 15-18 goals a year.

Kaleta is surely an addition compared to Peters, but let's face it he's not going to be squaring off with Laraque or Cote. I really like the current make-up for fighting though, it seems like there's a few guys that will drop the gloves against actual hockey players (not 'heavyweights'), which is the way it should be. I'm not sure if not having a heavyweight encourages others to drop the gloves, but I think it works out pretty well. (Even if they're not always the best fighters)

Kaleta is surely an addition compared to Peters, but let's face it he's not going to be squaring off with Laraque or Cote. I really like the current make-up for fighting though, it seems like there's a few guys that will drop the gloves against actual hockey players (not 'heavyweights'), which is the way it should be. I'm not sure if not having a heavyweight encourages others to drop the gloves, but I think it works out pretty well. (Even if they're not always the best fighters)

Agree with you 100% - fights in hockey should be for a legitimate reason: someone takes liberties, turn the momentum or because you just don't like the guy. I'd much rather watch two guys who don't fight often drop 'em and scrap away instead of the staged fights that have evolved with Peters type players (if I want that I'll watch boxing or MMA). 4 goals for his career to date is so indicative of how little he brought as a legitimate part of the team winning.

He just better not score any more shorties or Lindy's going to take him off the PK.

Yes, two is usually when the hook comes.

Still complaining, eh? 8 and 2 in their last 10, including wins over Chicago, Washington, Philly & the Rangers, mostly without big brothers Gaustad and Grier, and with almost zero offense coming from their "big guns," and you're still rabble-rousing. How is Philly doing with their new coach? How 'bout Edmonton or Minnesota with theirs?

Still complaining, eh? 8 and 2 in their last 10, including wins over Chicago, Washington, Philly & the Rangers, mostly without big brothers Gaustad and Grier, and with almost zero offense coming from their "big guns," and you're still rabble-rousing. How is Philly doing with their new coach? How 'bout Edmonton or Minnesota with theirs?

C'mon, have some fun. I was. Like you said, we're 8-2 in our last ten. Hell even the VS announcers sound better (a sure sign that all's well in Sabreland)

As to the rest, I'm not so sure that Vanek isn't more valuable to the team the way he is playing now than when all he did was score

..and I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh was happy with their new coach.

C'mon, have some fun. I was. Like you said, we're 8-2 in our last ten. Hell even the VS announcers sound better (a sure sign that all's well in Sabreland)

As to the rest, I'm not so sure that Vanek isn't more valuable to the team the way he is playing now than when all he did was score

..and I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh was happy with their new coach.

Hey, I'm happy with things. I was taking issue with the complaints, although I should have acknowledged that yours was tongue in cheek. I agree that Vanek is playing well lately although a few more goals would be nice.

I'm somewhat hijacking this thread, but with the emergence this season of Kaleta as a goal scorer with 6 thus far and considering the leading goal scorer on the team is MacArthur with 10, I raise the following question. Would you rather have a team with scoring coming from any player and every line and defenseman or would you rather have a top heavy team with scoring from the guys who should be scoring?

I think back to 2005-2007 and this team was four lines deep where goals would come from just about anywhere. Looking back at 2005-2006, the leading goal scorer for the Sabres was Chris Drury, and he only scored 30 goals that season. The Sabres had 6 20 goal scorers that year and Roy, Hecht, and Pominville each had 18. So, that's basically 3 lines of forwards that are at or near 20 goals for the season. In 2006-2007, the Sabres had 6 20 goal scorers, but 4 30 goal scorers, with Vanek scoring 43.

While this is limited history, I think I prefer having a team with pretty deep scoring. Based on what I'm seeing this season, I could very easily see this team having 6 or 7 20 goal scorers again with maybe Vanek and MacArthur the only ones on the team to hit 30 goals. The last two seasons, most of the goal scoring has come from the "big 3", but I think I'd rather see more balanced scoring even if that means the leading goal scorer on the team only scores 30 goals. I think it means there are some guys who are getting overpaid, but I'd rather have depth of scoring and great goaltending than just a few guys scoring the bulk of the goals. With Goose and Kaleta putting up strong early season goal totals, it really balances out the team and makes it difficult for opposing teams to focus on any one line. Just a thought I'd throw out there.

Peters and Kaleta are completely different style players with vastly different roles. Kaleta is a high energy hitter with good skills and outstanding speed, but just average fighting skills that are rarely used or needed. He plays the PK, and gives us some scoring punch. He attracts penalties giving us extra powerplays almost every game.

Peters is a zero talent enforcer, period.

Why not compare Peters with Roy? The OP is misguided. People get confused thinking a guy who is a great hitter is the same thing as being a staged fighter.

Peters and Kaleta are completely different style players with vastly different roles. Kaleta is a high energy hitter with good skills and outstanding speed, but just average fighting skills that are rarely used or needed. He plays the PK, and gives us some scoring punch. He attracts penalties giving us extra powerplays almost every game.

Peters is a zero talent enforcer, period.

Why not compare Peters with Roy? The OP is misguided. People get confused thinking a guy who is a great hitter is the same thing as being a staged fighter.

Kaleta has killed 15 minutes of penalties all season, a good chunk of which has come in the last handful of games. He has three goals in two games -- and three the rest of the season. Let's not get carried away here. I mean, you'd expect this guy to win a Nobel Peace Prize tomorrow or something. :) Agree with the rest though.

Archived