Brind'Amour a good fit for Buffalo?

PASabreFan

I see MacArthur as having moderate talent, but a willingness to work hard or "compete". This intensity in his play is nice to see, but only seems to make up for his lock of top-level talent in spurts. Stafford seems to be the exact opposite. When you see him make moves like he made on that one play against the Rangers or last year against the Leafs (when he actually did score), you can tell that he does have higher-level talent. He's also bigger and, again, when he chooses to use it, you can tell that he could be effective. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem willing to work as hard or "compete". Which do you keep? I'd prefer to replace both. However, static is right that we are deeper at left wing and Whitney is a left winger, as well.

I see MacArthur as having moderate talent, but a willingness to work hard or "compete". This intensity in his play is nice to see, but only seems to make up for his lock of top-level talent in spurts. Stafford seems to be the exact opposite. When you see him make moves like he made on that one play against the Rangers or last year against the Leafs (when he actually did score), you can tell that he does have higher-level talent. He's also bigger and, again, when he chooses to use it, you can tell that he could be effective. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem willing to work as hard or "compete". Which do you keep? I'd prefer to replace both. However, static is right that we are deeper at left wing and Whitney is a left winger, as well.

Which is where I am as well. I seen enough of both to know what I am getting. On this roster it's just not enough. Neither are player worthy of playing on the top two lines which goes to the lack of quality on the forward ranks. The Sabres were willing to part ways with Dan Paillie. I don't consider either Stafford or MacArthur that much better than Paillie where they should feel safe with their spot on the team.

This is not to blame Stafford or MaArthur for the Sabres offensive problems this season. Looking at the top of the roster, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, and Connolly are paid to be difference makers. They haven't been. The Sabres don't have a Gaborik that other teams need to game plan for. The Sabres "balanced scoring" is a polite way of saying that. This team needs a difference maker beyond Miller.

Just throwing it out there. The Bod's plus-minus numbers plummeted last season and have continued their freefall this season. This season his offensive numbers have gone along for the elevator ride down.

He's 39 and in the fourth season of a five-year $18 million contract.

What would he bring? Stanley Cup-winning experience and faceoff prowess. He has been a perennial faceoff "expert" and led the league last season -- probably led the league several times before that, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. This season, his faceoff numbers are down a bit.

The Sabres could use a tough-nosed (sorry) veteran who's been there before. There being the finals. And the parade that follows. And although Gaustad has been out of his mind on faceoffs, his recent slump makes you wonder if he can do it over the long haul and under playoff pressure.

Carolina is sure to be in rebuilding mode.

Simply put - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Out of 759 NHL players, no player has a worse plus/minus than Brind'amour. He's nowhere near the player he was and he's been in serious decline for a good 2 years. He's done. No thanks.

Ray Whitney is rumoured to be coming though. Just ask Eklund.

Simply put - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Out of 759 NHL players, no player has a worse plus/minus than Brind'amour. He's nowhere near the player he was and he's been in serious decline for a good 2 years. He's done. No thanks.

Ray Whitney is rumoured to be coming though. Just ask Eklund.

How much of Rod's decline can be explained by the team he's on?

I wonder what folks around here thought of Bill Guerin last trade deadline?

I'll add that to the list. He's old. He's expensive. He's washed up. He's unpopular in Buffalo. And he's ugly. And he's a total douche.

fixed.

post-760-12602099629688_thumb.jpg

what was it that he said when he was interviewed on the ice after the hurricanes beat us in OT in game 7 of the ECF? i can't remember what he said, i just remember thinking what a complete and total classless a-hole he was for saying it.

If he was int he final year I would say "hell yeah!"

even so, what he said.

Brind'Amour is a shell of his former self. He has not played well at all the pasat couple of years and this year he looks even worse.

Now I would take Whitney in a heartbeat. He can still put it in the net with some consistency.

Whitney has a no move clause. I'd take him too, but that's a pipe dream.

fixed.

post-760-12602099629688_thumb.jpg

what was it that he said when he was interviewed on the ice after the hurricanes beat us in OT in game 7 of the ECF? i can't remember what he said, i just remember thinking what a complete and total classless a-hole he was for saying it.

even so, what he said.

He went on a rant about Lindy Ruff. Rather than being pumped that he's going to the Finals against an 8 seed, he's upset about Lindy Ruff claiming the Candy Canes had champagne ready in their dressing room for the end of Game 6 and some other nonsense.

He went on a rant about Lindy Ruff. Rather than being pumped that he's going to the Finals against an 8 seed, he's upset about Lindy Ruff claiming the Candy Canes had champagne ready in their dressing room for the end of Game 6 and some other nonsense.

Ruff did get into their heads.

As far as Brind'Amour, 39 with ACL issues.....no thanks.

I missed the "mouse potatoes" reference, sorry.

No on Rod.

He earned the ring though.

If we want an old guy on the team, why don't they talk Shanahan out of retirement.

It does not address the faceoff issue, but he has plenty of rings.

I believe only Lydman and Montador have any Cup Finals experience.

We have plenty of players with a conference finals history.

If there is any real tradeable commodity on this team, it is Derek Roy.

I do not think that there is any more of an upside to his game.

Kennedy can take the #2 center position and attempt to develop a rapport with Vanek.

If you want to make a deal and change the line-up for the future - deal for Kovalchuk and lock him up long-term.

I missed the "mouse potatoes" reference, sorry.

Stafford referred to bloggers and forum posters after one big win, saying something like "that will show all those mouse potatoes ..." or "all those mouse potatoes think we can't win big game" (I can't remember which right now.) It's like "couch potatoes" only with computer mouses.

If there is any real tradeable commodity on this team, it is Derek Roy.

I do not think that there is any more of an upside to his game.

Kennedy can take the #2 center position and attempt to develop a rapport with Vanek.

We're trying to get better on faceoffs, not worse ... much, much worse.

Ruff did get into their heads.

As far as Brind'Amour, 39 with ACL issues.....no thanks.

I'm sure his scarred visage was dancing in their heads as they skated the Cup. The Legend of Lindy grows... He once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt.

Real chance we could make a move for Whitney.

He's a veteran, still puts up points, has won a cup AND is in the final year of his contract.

It's a move Darcy would make.

He better spend that Paille money, because routinely dressing defenseman as wingers is downright embarassing.

He better spend that Paille money, because routinely dressing defenseman as wingers is downright embarassing.

That needs to stop right now. The organization made a (probably justifiable) decision to cut ties with the farm team down the road, and that's fine. The price of that is flying a kid to Buffalo from Portland now and then. Deal with it and do it.

I'm sure his scarred visage was dancing in their heads as they skated the Cup. The Legend of Lindy grows... He once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt.

I love that line from the commercial..

We can probably put this one to bed. Rod was a healthy scratch last night and the Canes beat the Pens on the road without him. He'll likely ride the press box for a good part of the rest of the season. If there's an injury, they're going to bring a kid up from Albany. His only realistic milestone (if he plays) is 11 more assists to reach 300.

* Currently 48th in all-time NHL points (1,165). A 40-point season this coming season would move him into a tie for 44th with Vincent Damphousse. A 50-point season would put him 41st, one point shy of Larry Murphy and the just-retired Jeremy Roenick for 40th (1,216).

* Currently 29th in games played (1,404), four ahead of Mike Modano. Mark Recchi leads all active players with 1,490 (14th). Assuming Brind'Amour plays 70 games (and Modano doesn't pass him) he would move into a tie for 16th with Doug Gilmour, passing No. 17 Glen Wesley (1,457 games).

* Currently 45th in all-time career assists (722). With a 30-assist season, he would move into at least 39th, perhaps 38th if he passes Doug Weight, who is 10 ahead of Brind'Amour heading into the season.

* Brind'amour has 165 goals as a Hurricane, 11 behind No. 1 Jeff O'Neill's total of 176 (not including Hartford). Even if Brind'Amour passes O'Neill, he will likely be surpassed this season.

* Finally, Brind'Amour's 289 helpers is 11 assists shy of 300 in his Hurricanes career.

We can probably put this one to bed. Rod was a healthy scratch last night and the Canes beat the Pens on the road without him. He'll likely ride the press box for a good part of the rest of the season. If there's an injury, they're going to bring a kid up from Albany. His only realistic milestone (if he plays) is 11 more assists to reach 300.

* Currently 48th in all-time NHL points (1,165). A 40-point season this coming season would move him into a tie for 44th with Vincent Damphousse. A 50-point season would put him 41st, one point shy of Larry Murphy and the just-retired Jeremy Roenick for 40th (1,216).

* Currently 29th in games played (1,404), four ahead of Mike Modano. Mark Recchi leads all active players with 1,490 (14th). Assuming Brind'Amour plays 70 games (and Modano doesn't pass him) he would move into a tie for 16th with Doug Gilmour, passing No. 17 Glen Wesley (1,457 games).

* Currently 45th in all-time career assists (722). With a 30-assist season, he would move into at least 39th, perhaps 38th if he passes Doug Weight, who is 10 ahead of Brind'Amour heading into the season.

* Brind'amour has 165 goals as a Hurricane, 11 behind No. 1 Jeff O'Neill's total of 176 (not including Hartford). Even if Brind'Amour passes O'Neill, he will likely be surpassed this season.

* Finally, Brind'Amour's 289 helpers is 11 assists shy of 300 in his Hurricanes career.

Nah that just means he's gonna be all rested and rarin' to go for a Cup run in Buffalo.

That needs to stop right now. The organization made a (probably justifiable) decision to cut ties with the farm team down the road, and that's fine. The price of that is flying a kid to Buffalo from Portland now and then. Deal with it and do it.

You think it comes down to airfare? I wouldn't doubt it.

You think it comes down to airfare? I wouldn't doubt it.

In the old days, the team could call up a kid at noon and have him here at game time, no problem. Now, to call a kid up at noon means a charter flight, because there's nothing direct between Portland and Buffalo, and there's not time to deal with multiple check-ins and a layover in Boston. It probably does come down to the airfare.

In the old days, the team could call up a kid at noon and have him here at game time, no problem. Now, to call a kid up at noon means a charter flight, because there's nothing direct between Portland and Buffalo, and there's not time to deal with multiple check-ins and a layover in Boston. It probably does come down to the airfare.

The phrase "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind.

Archived