Brind'Amour a good fit for Buffalo?

PASabreFan

Just throwing it out there. The Bod's plus-minus numbers plummeted last season and have continued their freefall this season. This season his offensive numbers have gone along for the elevator ride down.

He's 39 and in the fourth season of a five-year $18 million contract.

What would he bring? Stanley Cup-winning experience and faceoff prowess. He has been a perennial faceoff "expert" and led the league last season -- probably led the league several times before that, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. This season, his faceoff numbers are down a bit.

The Sabres could use a tough-nosed (sorry) veteran who's been there before. There being the finals. And the parade that follows. And although Gaustad has been out of his mind on faceoffs, his recent slump makes you wonder if he can do it over the long haul and under playoff pressure.

Carolina is sure to be in rebuilding mode.

Just throwing it out there. The Bod's plus-minus numbers plummeted last season and have continued their freefall this season. This season his offensive numbers have gone along for the elevator ride down.

What would he bring? Stanley Cup-winning experience and faceoff prowess. He has been a perennial faceoff "expert" and led the league last season -- probably led the league several times before that, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. This season, his faceoff numbers are down a bit.

The Sabres could use a tough-nosed (sorry) veteran who's been there before. There being the finals. And the parade that follows. And although Gaustad has been out of his mind on faceoffs, his recent slump makes you wonder if he can do it over the long haul and under playoff pressure.

Just another reason people tease you for being a closet Flyers fan. :nana:

I really can't stand him, I know he's supposed to be a classy player but he's been a Sabre killer on two reviled teams and the guy is soon to be over-the-hill. Faceoff prowess or no, he's too old. I just hope Gaustad won't be out much longer since no one else on our team can win them consistently, although Grier isn't bad.

Oh my, no.

I live in Raleigh and have a minipack ST. We have guys in Albany that we want to bring up, but the GM cant without eating a ton of salary by dumping guys like Rod. Whitney and Yelle are two other oldies but goodies that probably need to go too. Carolina will be rebuilding next year with youth. This season is gone. They wont dump on Rod for sentimental reasons.

The LAST thing the Sabres need is Rod. I'd be surprised if any team picked him up. It's foregone conclusion in my mind that this is his last season in Raleigh.

Just another reason people tease you for being a closet Flyers fan. :nana:

I really can't stand him, I know he's supposed to be a classy player but he's been a Sabre killer on two reviled teams and the guy is soon to be over-the-hill. Faceoff prowess or no, he's too old. I just hope Gaustad won't be out much longer since no one else on our team can win them consistently, although Grier isn't bad.

Grier has not been good at faceoffs, but he hasn't taken very many. Not sure about previous seasons.

Kennedy is woeful, and so is Connolly, so much so that his linemates MacArthur and Stafford have had to step in for him. They've been OK, but again the sample size is small.

The Sabres have put all their eggs in Goose's basket here. He's well over 60%, near the top of the league if not at the top, and still the Sabres are barely over 50% for the season. It's a problem.

All I'm hearing about Roderick is that we don't like him and he's old.

Grier has not been good at faceoffs, but he hasn't taken very many. Not sure about previous seasons.

Kennedy is woeful, and so is Connolly, so much so that his linemates MacArthur and Stafford have had to step in for him. They've been OK, but again the sample size is small.

The Sabres have put all their eggs in Goose's basket here. He's well over 60%, near the top of the league if not at the top, and still the Sabres are barely over 50% for the season. It's a problem.

Let's say the guy wasn't 39 and on a serious decline in skills overall...How would you propose we fit his 3+ million a year cap hit in? Obviously we'd have to ship salary out and unless they're willing to take on our scraps (Hecht maybe?) it's definitely not worth what we'd have to give up for a washed out dude that my most prominent memory is him scoring in Game 7.

I thought Carolina were complete idiots when they signed him to that 5 year deal.

Any idea how many other teams pin basically all of their faceoff hopes on one guy? I'd guess it is a lot of them.

Your ears need to read better. I said he's washed up. Others cited his declining talent. If you've already got your mind made up on a topic, why start it?

Okay, maybe Grier isn't that great (I was vaguely remembering an article talking about Kennedy trying to learn from Goose and Grier having well in a particular game), but to be fair the only two forwards who have taken fewer draws than him are Vanek and Kaleta with 3 and 1. Goose is by far our best guy, but looking on NHL.com we have a few guys over 50% -- Ellis, Stafford, and Roy with 54, 63, and 402 (!) attempts, respectively. Kennedy has the worst faceoff record (36.6% on 191 draws) of everyone but Vanek and Kaleta , so I'm not sure why they insist on trying to make him the main guy when there are many others that are averaging 40-50% wins.

Your ears need to read better. I said he's washed up. Others cited his declining talent. If you've already got your mind made up on a topic, why start it?

I cited his declining talent!

I'll get a hearing aid. You take some reading lessons.

If he was int he final year I would say "hell yeah!" I wouldn't want any part of a second year. Not at $3 mil if that is the actual cap number. Though he would fill a need as you described he would also add some much needed talent to the forward ranks. That said, what the Sabres need most right now is goal scoring and a backup to Miller.

If he was int he final year I would say "hell yeah!" I wouldn't want any part of a second year. Not at $3 mil if that is the actual cap number. Though he would fill a need as you described he would also add some much needed talent to the forward ranks. That said, what the Sabres need most right now is goal scoring and a backup to Miller.

Bullseye.

You got me looking through rosters of teams I don't expect to make the playoffs. I would be interested if a Martin St Louis deal could be worked out if they fall from playoff contention. I know his second year is a hefty $5+ mil. A power play of Connolly, Vanek and St Louis with Myers and Sekera on the blue-line looks really good to me.

I also see "Hockey Lies and Crap" is running a Ray Whitney to Buffalo rumor. In the final year? Could be a fit depending on the price.

A few other possibilities :

Owen Nolan and Eric Belanger from the Wild. Saku Koivu from the Ducks, no second year to deal with.

I also see "Hockey Lies and Crap" is running a Ray Whitney to Buffalo rumor. In the final year? Could be a fit depending on the price.

Clarke MacArthur? Younger, cheaper, RFA, his numbers look decent and he scored against them, so maybe they'll have a good impression.

Clarke MacArthur? Younger, cheaper, RFA, his numbers look decent and he scored against them, so maybe they'll have a good impression.

Or even Stafford. I don't think his $1.9 for next season would scare anyone off. Looking at what the Sabres have to offer that other teams maybe interested in, Mac, Stafford and Sekera would land a rent-a-player type. I Like Chris Butler, I could imagine that his name would be at the top of many teams lists who are looking to deal with the Sabres.

Or even Stafford. I don't think his $1.9 for next season would scare anyone off. Looking at what the Sabres have to offer that other teams maybe interested in, Mac, Stafford and Sekera would land a rent-a-player type. I Like Chris Butler, I could imagine that his name would be at the top of many teams lists who are looking to deal with the Sabres.

Stafford, absolutely. Why get rid of MacArthur when he's playing like he wants to be here? Mouse Potatoes is playing like an arrogant child.

The only ones of the D corps I'd be willing to give up would be Lydman or Tallinder. Myers, Butts and Sekera are the D's future now, and they should stay. Getting rid of one of the older D men wouldn't hurt - one would still be here to give insight. Of the two, right now I'd rather it be Lydman who goes.

So, Stafford and Lydman - maybe throw in Gerbe if the pot needs to be sweetened a little more, for a single power forward who brings their game every night. Is it possible to do?

Stafford, absolutely. Why get rid of MacArthur when he's playing like he wants to be here? Mouse Potatoes is playing like an arrogant child.

The only ones of the D corps I'd be willing to give up would be Lydman or Tallinder. Myers, Butts and Sekera are the D's future now, and they should stay. Getting rid of one of the older D men wouldn't hurt - one would still be here to give insight. Of the two, right now I'd rather it be Lydman who goes.

So, Stafford and Lydman - maybe throw in Gerbe if the pot needs to be sweetened a little more, for a single power forward who brings their game every night. Is it possible to do?

What is that based on? I get the "mouse potatoes" reference. MacArthur is having pretty much the same season he had last year, inconsistent.

What is that based on? I get the "mouse potatoes" reference. MacArthur is having pretty much the same season he had last year, inconsistent.

It's based on watching the games, mainly. What else am I supposed to base my opinion on, other than slightly less than 1/3 season stats? If you're going by those, then he's on track for a 25 goal season.

If they're going to trade a forward, then you have to pick someone to go - I choose Stafford.

It's based on watching the games, mainly. What else am I supposed to base my opinion on, other than slightly less than 1/3 season stats? If you're going by those, then he's on track for a 25 goal season.

If they're going to trade a forward, then you have to pick someone to go - I choose Stafford.

Is he "playing like he wants to be here" when he disappears for long stretches?

Is he "playing like he wants to be here" when he disappears for long stretches?

He seems to be on the roster rather frequently, like, every game. So, this disappearing act you're talking about doesn't make sense.

And since there isn't a stat for effort, I guess I will have to rely on my observations to gauge his effort and measure that against Staffords. Whoops! Stafford loses that one!

You may not agree. And I don't care.

Stafford has way more upside than MacArthur will ever have.

I would trade Mac in a heartbeat, LW is a deeper talent pool for Buf right now than RW.

This is pure fantasy to speak of trading a RWer at this time. Until Buffalo adds depth to that position our current RWer's aren't going anywhere.

Archived