Most effective type of change: coach or forward(s)

I hope you're right about the slide. I just don't agree that this coach and Core have a couple more years to get back to contender status.

If this year turns out to be like the previous two years, then yes there needs to be some changes. I don't think people should expect a Cup this year, or a third round playoff run. But I think if they are doing what I think they're doing, then an acceptable season should be a 3-6 place finish in the conference and at least a first round playoff appearance. I think last year was a good year for them to get used to the loss of Briere and Drury and figure out where everybody stands on the team. This year is a good year to measure what they learned from it. If nothing changes, then make some moves in the offseason. I guess I'm trying to be optimistic yet realistic at the same time, lol.

BTW, I hope I'm right too. :D

Actually nfreeman, the guys I listed are my example guys, not the only ones that I would trade.

Also, concerning Kolvachuck, the trade can be made, and he would sign an extension, the real question here would not be just to get it done or approach it but what would be left over to make a trade for a line 2 character player with skill.

I see Vanek and Pomminstein with perhaps a prospect and/or picks to get Kolvachuck.

That would put Roy/Connolly with Stafford and there is a line. Why not go for that RWer as well. Maybe not someone that is a stellar star like Kolvachuck, but a consistent contributor who would enhance a McArthur - Roy/Connolly line.

I still think it was a major mistake to send down Ennis. I thought him and Kennedy played very well together with Kaleta on the RW and I think Grier would be an even better fit than Kaleta there for them once he returns.

The roster is crowded now, Hecht should be gone from this team as well. I'll take an Ellis over Hecht everyday.

The point is, 1 blockbuster trade frees up cap space and roster space as well as adds those missing components.

The Kolvachuck trade should be made immediately in my opinion.

Actually nfreeman, the guys I listed are my example guys, not the only ones that I would trade.

Also, concerning Kolvachuck, the trade can be made, and he would sign an extension, the real question here would not be just to get it done or approach it but what would be left over to make a trade for a line 2 character player with skill.

I see Vanek and Pomminstein with perhaps a prospect and/or picks to get Kolvachuck.

That would put Roy/Connolly with Stafford and there is a line. Why not go for that RWer as well. Maybe not someone that is a stellar star like Kolvachuck, but a consistent contributor who would enhance a McArthur - Roy/Connolly line.

I still think it was a major mistake to send down Ennis. I thought him and Kennedy played very well together with Kaleta on the RW and I think Grier would be an even better fit than Kaleta there for them once he returns.

The roster is crowded now, Hecht should be gone from this team as well. I'll take an Ellis over Hecht everyday.

The point is, 1 blockbuster trade frees up cap space and roster space as well as adds those missing components.

The Kolvachuck trade should be made immediately in my opinion.

No way Atlanta lets Kovalchuk go. 50 plus goal scorer and plenty of cap space. Not happening.

No way Atlanta lets Kovalchuk go. 50 plus goal scorer and plenty of cap space. Not happening.

Atlanta doesn't have a choice here. It has already been stated by the Kolvachuck camp that unless the team attempts to build a longterm winning environment he will not resign. His camp was already offered an initial contract and he rejected it. Atlanta does not have the final say on this, Kolvy does.

Now, thats not to say he would even remotely end up in Buffalo, but him and his agent have already shown where they stand on the issue at hand.

The Atlanta Journal

As the Thrashers attempt to climb their way out of the bottom of the standings, Atlanta GM Don Waddell appears to be seriously considering trading superstar Ilya Kovalchuk.

According to the Ottawa Sun, Waddell has held trade talks with several teams involving Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk, 25, has been frustrated with the team's performance this season. He is making $7.5 million this season and can become an unrestricted free agent following the 2009-10 campaign.

A significant amount of teams are interested in Kovalchuk, including the Montreal Canadiens and Los Angeles Kings.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that Waddell and Thrashers head coach John Anderson held a brief meeting last week to try and determine what needs to be done, both on and off the ice, to turn their season around.

While the Thrashers no need to trade Kovalchuk this season, it's believed he might be willing to sign a long-term extension with the club. With an additional year on his contract, his trade value could be higher this season as opposed to next.

The Edmonton Journal reports the Oilers would be very interested in Kovalchuk, however his price tag might be too high for their liking.

Meanwhile, the Thrashers are expected to trade veteran defenseman Mathieu Schneider at some point this season, likely closer to the March 4 trade deadline.

From the Editor:

First off, yes, Schneider will be moved at some point this year... now that that's out of the way... Ahhh, the Kovalchuk trade talks. Let the games begin! The Thrashers can get a great return for Kovalchuk, and Waddell needs to surround his team with talented NHLers. Kovalchuk can't get the job done on his own, and his frustrations are starting to get too much. By trading Kovalchuk, the Thrashers can get their hands on two or three very capable players, one of whom must be a first-line player. Atlanta would be trading one of the most talented players in the league and the return has to be up there. A team will overpay for Kovalchuk, but it might just be worth it... on both ends. -- David Pagnotta

VANEK, Pomminstein AND A 3RD PLAYER WITH PICKS AND/OR PROSPECTS

He can be landed, does Darcy have the negotiating skills to get it done is the only question.

The Atlanta Journal

As the Thrashers attempt to climb their way out of the bottom of the standings, Atlanta GM Don Waddell appears to be seriously considering trading superstar Ilya Kovalchuk.

According to the Ottawa Sun, Waddell has held trade talks with several teams involving Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk, 25, has been frustrated with the team's performance this season. He is making $7.5 million this season and can become an unrestricted free agent following the 2009-10 campaign.

A significant amount of teams are interested in Kovalchuk, including the Montreal Canadiens and Los Angeles Kings.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently reported that Waddell and Thrashers head coach John Anderson held a brief meeting last week to try and determine what needs to be done, both on and off the ice, to turn their season around.

While the Thrashers no need to trade Kovalchuk this season, it's believed he might be willing to sign a long-term extension with the club. With an additional year on his contract, his trade value could be higher this season as opposed to next.

The Edmonton Journal reports the Oilers would be very interested in Kovalchuk, however his price tag might be too high for their liking.

Meanwhile, the Thrashers are expected to trade veteran defenseman Mathieu Schneider at some point this season, likely closer to the March 4 trade deadline.

From the Editor:

First off, yes, Schneider will be moved at some point this year... now that that's out of the way... Ahhh, the Kovalchuk trade talks. Let the games begin! The Thrashers can get a great return for Kovalchuk, and Waddell needs to surround his team with talented NHLers. Kovalchuk can't get the job done on his own, and his frustrations are starting to get too much. By trading Kovalchuk, the Thrashers can get their hands on two or three very capable players, one of whom must be a first-line player. Atlanta would be trading one of the most talented players in the league and the return has to be up there. A team will overpay for Kovalchuk, but it might just be worth it... on both ends. -- David Pagnotta

He can be landed, does Darcy have the negotiating skills to get it done is the only question.

That's an article from last year.

Atlanta is doing reasonably well this year. They brought in Antropov and Afinogenov to please Kovalchuk.

If Kovie doesn't sign with Atlanta, I see him flying the coup to Russia. Don't know why, but he seems hell bent in doing so.

That's an article from last year.

Atlanta is doing reasonably well this year. They brought in Antropov and Afinogenov to please Kovalchuk.

If Kovie doesn't sign with Atlanta, I see him flying the coup to Russia. Don't know why, but he seems hell bent in doing so.

Yes it is, Look at the more recent Reports from Atlanta and Kolvy has already turned down the pre-season contract offered him. He is looking to get out of Atlanta. This article I posted was one of the first one's to seriously look at his situation and where his camp stands. You can look up all subsequent articles and interviews since this article and his answer has been the same. He just does not want to stay in Atlanta, which was the substance of the post that I used this article in.

The bottom line is he can be had if the pot was sweetened enough, and judging from our current situation with the top 2 scoring lines here, this is an excellent opportunity to bring in a real talent that uses his skills on a regular basis. He shows up on the score sheet twice as often as any player the Sabres have. He would have instant success and even elevate the play of his linemates due to his skill. No current Sabre on the roster of forwards has that ability. Its needed.

The Atlanta Journal

From the Editor:

That's from last December and from thefourthperiod.com, so it must be true. :rolleyes: And whothe#%^$#! wouldn't be interested in Kovalchuk? That's really going out on a limb by this "journalist"

They signed Antropov, re-signed Armstrong and Lehtonen, traded for Kubina and got Evander Kane. Kovalchuk recruited Max and got him a tryout.He'll be looking for 8-8.5 million a season IMO. Atlanta may screw it up, but so far they've got quite the bunch there.

That's from last December and from thefourthperiod.com, so it must be true. :rolleyes: And whothe#%^$#! wouldn't be interested in Kovalchuk? That's really going out on a limb by this "journalist"

They signed Antropov, re-signed Armstrong and Lehtonen, traded for Kubina and got Evander Kane. Kovalchuk recruited Max and got him a tryout.He'll be looking for 8-8.5 million a season IMO. Atlanta may screw it up, but so far they've got quite the bunch there.

Max, Armstrong, Kubina, Koslov, Popavic, Schubert and Hedberg are all UFA's at the end of the season with Kolvy.

Also, Little is an RFA.

Atlanta has some serious decisions to make. Trading Kolvy is just plain smart business and solves some of their more pressing problems. Kolvachuck will not resign with Atlanta, pure and simple.

Buffalo is looking to trade some players, if the organization has the vision to build out a couple of successful scoring lines you can bet they are looking at this situation.

Any support for this statement? I'd be amazed if he left for Russia. Young stars in their prime aren't the ones going to the KHL -- it's the homesick kids or the older guys like Jagr and Federov.

Max, Armstrong, Kubina, Koslov, Popavic, Schubert and Hedberg are all UFA's at the end of the season with Kolvy.

Also, Little is an RFA.

Atlanta has some serious decisions to make. Trading Kolvy is just plain smart business and solves some of their more pressing problems. Kolvachuck will not resign with Atlanta, pure and simple.

Buffalo is looking to trade some players, if the organization has the vision to build out a couple of successful scoring lines you can bet they are looking at this situation.

I'd trade Vanek and Pommer for Kovalchuk in a heartbeat IF the deal included an extension for Kovy. The problems, though, are (i) I don't see Atlanta trading him until the deadline and (ii) I don't see Kovy signing an extension with a new team -- I think he'll want to play out the season and then choose his next spot.

Any support for this statement? I'd be amazed if he left for Russia. Young stars in their prime aren't the ones going to the KHL -- it's the homesick kids or the older guys like Jagr and Federov.

I'd trade Vanek and Pommer for Kovalchuk in a heartbeat IF the deal included an extension for Kovy. The problems, though, are (i) I don't see Atlanta trading him until the deadline and (ii) I don't see Kovy signing an extension with a new team -- I think he'll want to play out the season and then choose his next spot.

If you want Kovalchuk you should pray that they suck at the deadline. If they're in the hunt, they'll keep him.

I can't see a team like the SABRES signing a guy like KOVALCHUK. The Sabres breed, they don't adopt.

bottom line: bad ownership...how can you own a hockey team and also admit that you know nothing about about the game. It's like Bettman trying to be commissioner. There's a real void of leadership here...so much so that we had to import Rivet and Grier because we unfortunately don't have ready leaders in our system. I thought Lindy was holding

Buffalo back at least a couple years ago, but the team also has too many incumbents...guys who when you see their name in the boxscore, you yawn...you know who I mean? Hecht, Mair, etc. etc.

Yeah, it definitely is crazy to think something, especially when it isn't true. Vanek is making $6.4 million while Kovalchuk is making $7.5 million.

Thanksfor singling out one point admist a massive post. But you are correct. I was looking at the wrong part of the graph on nhlnumbers. I got the cap hits mixed in with the actual salary.

I don't see a coach that has coached "talent-deficient" teams to the SCF or ECF.

Facts are facts, Hasek led the charge in 98-99 season. Thats talent. Although one of only 2 or 3 on the team that had any, but he was a phenom in net.

And come on now, the Drury-Briere team was talent packed specifically due to these 2 players. That talent is now gone and it shows pathetically. The inability to score or capatilize on scoring chances is a direct reflection of the talent on the team now.

No, another couple of key components are still missing. I am not saying get rid of all of them, but 2 players on the top 2 scoring lines needs to go.

Not sure I follow. You mention that both of those teams had around 2-3 talented players, but that doesn't count as being a talent-deficient team? So Lindy had nothing to do with those teams getting there, he was just lucky to have Hasek and Drury/Briere? It sounds like you reinforced my point.

Fact is there wasn't a lot of talent on either squad you mentioned. Hasek was the driving force behind the 99 team, sure. Lindy still managed to get just enough out of that collection of undersized and underskilled skaters that they made it to the SCF and ECF. Even with Hasek leading the charge, there's still something to be said for staying the hell out of the way and not screwing it up. As for the Drury/Briere squad - he knew he had enough offensive talent and a goalie good enough to keep them in games until the offense got going that he was able to install an up-tempo attacking system and turn games into pond hockey.

Yea, it doesn't make much sense to me either. But Ive seen a few things from different sources saying Kovie is seriously debating playing for the Russian league.

I doubt he would actually do it though. Why would you? The premier players of the world are in the NHL, not in Russia.

bottom line: bad ownership...how can you own a hockey team and also admit that you know nothing about about the game. It's like Bettman trying to be commissioner. There's a real void of leadership here...so much so that we had to import Rivet and Grier because we unfortunately don't have ready leaders in our system. I thought Lindy was holding

Buffalo back at least a couple years ago, but the team also has too many incumbents...guys who when you see their name in the boxscore, you yawn...you know who I mean? Hecht, Mair, etc. etc.

Fantastic post. And you can now add quite a few to that list of incumbents, because they are obviously not going anywhere, no matter what we all say about it (Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Suckera). Not a single true leader on this club, except MAYBE Mike Grier, and even he won't be able to force Lindy to bench the right people at the right times.

Face it, if this team isn't going to be the hardest working team in the NHL, EVERY NIGHT, they will always, ALWAYS fall short of the mark.

But just like Wilson, Tom Golisano doesn't give a rat's fat behind, so long as the till keeps ringing.

CHA CHING!!!

P.S. I keep forgetting to mention that Ryan Miller IS a true leader, but even he isn't making a dent in the thick skulls of his coach or teammates.

Fantastic post. And you can now add quite a few to that list of incumbents, because they are obviously not going anywhere, no matter what we all say about it (Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Connolly, Suckera). Not a single true leader on this club, except MAYBE Mike Grier, and even he won't be able to force Lindy to bench the right people at the right times.

Face it, if this team isn't going to be the hardest working team in the NHL, EVERY NIGHT, they will always, ALWAYS fall short of the mark.

But just like Wilson, Tom Golisano doesn't give a rat's fat behind, so long as the till keeps ringing.

CHA CHING!!!

P.S. I keep forgetting to mention that Ryan Miller IS a true leader, but even he isn't making a dent in the thick skulls of his coach or teammates.

Really, "Suckera"? Andrej is the least of this team's problems. And I'd hardly call him an incumbent in the sense of the other players on that list.

If he is a TRUE leader, he needs to stop crying like a little baby in the locker room after the game every time he's not happy. He makes more excuses that the rest of the team put together.

Thanksfor singling out one point admist a massive post. But you are correct. I was looking at the wrong part of the graph on nhlnumbers. I got the cap hits mixed in with the actual salary.

It was actually a single sentence post. But anyway, I like dealing with facts when possible. Nothing big, just wanted to correct it.

Not sure I follow. You mention that both of those teams had around 2-3 talented players, but that doesn't count as being a talent-deficient team? So Lindy had nothing to do with those teams getting there, he was just lucky to have Hasek and Drury/Briere? It sounds like you reinforced my point.

I hate to keep disagreeing with you, but isn't that the makeup of most winning teams? You have a bunch of average talent roll players and 1 or 2 talented difference makers. That's it.

I hate to keep disagreeing with you, but isn't that the makeup of most winning teams? You have a bunch of average talent roll players and 1 or 2 talented difference makers. That's it.

I disagree. Maybe in the cap era teams are forced to rely on one or two players (possibly due to poor financial management) but most teams cannot and will not go deep in the playoffs with just 1 or 2 difference makers and a bunch of role players.

Looking at the recent Cup winners I'd say that Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Anaheim, all had pretty deep, talented teams to win the Cup, and they beat pretty good, deep teams as well.

Fact is Hasek (AND Lindy) took a very average team to the SCF. That team had Dom, Miro, and Peca. Outside of those three, there was a lot of crap on that team.

If you want Kovalchuk you should pray that they suck at the deadline. If they're in the hunt, they'll keep him.

I can't see a team like the SABRES signing a guy like KOVALCHUK. The Sabres breed, they don't adopt.

I agree and I will also add another angle; that the teams that do well with Russian players typically have more than one Russian player or a core on the team at the same time. (e.g. Atlanta, Washington, Pens...other's too lazy to look up).

The Sabres with Lindy specifically have not appeared to target a lot of Russian players over time. (3 at once is most I ever remember on the team; i.e. Max, Zhitnik and Kalinin). In fact come to think of it, the only Russians or other players the Sabres draft come out of North american amateur and college hockey. I'm sure there is something behind that like; needing to accomodate the language/culture/nationality or the need to have contacts in those countries/leagues/agents or the scouting thats behind being able to make good selections. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

I disagree. Maybe in the cap era teams are forced to rely on one or two players (possibly due to poor financial management) but most teams cannot and will not go deep in the playoffs with just 1 or 2 difference makers and a bunch of role players.

Looking at the recent Cup winners I'd say that Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Anaheim, all had pretty deep, talented teams to win the Cup, and they beat pretty good, deep teams as well.

Fact is Hasek (AND Lindy) took a very average team to the SCF. That team had Dom, Miro, and Peca. Outside of those three, there was a lot of crap on that team.

Do you know how many goals per game on average that the Sabres offered as support for Dom in the first three rounds in '99? Wow, someone take that sentence out and shoot it!

Archived