Who does Lydman replace?

Derrico

I haven't seen this posted anywhere. My question is which dman comes out of the lineup now that Lydman appears to be getting close to return. Tallinder has been excellent this year (dare I say) comparable to 2006 and prior to breaking his arm. Myers must have a mistake on his birth certificate because the guy is playing like a vet and one of our best players. Butler and Rivet have both been solid. I read somewhere that Montedor is having the best year of his career and I don't disagree as he's been good. As for Sekera, I think that injury to him earlier this year was the best thing that could have happened. He's been great ever since returning.

We have 7 quality defense in my opinion and I don't know who should sit in the press box when Lydman is finally 100% ready to go.

This is a good problem to have and may really help us out having this depth later in the year.

On a side note, I'm not getting too high on this team yet because we have no depth at goaltending and some of our forwards are invisible for long stretches. But seriously, this might be the best group of dmen we've had in years....

I haven't seen this posted anywhere. My question is which dman comes out of the lineup now that Lydman appears to be getting close to return. Tallinder has been excellent this year (dare I say) comparable to 2006 and prior to breaking his arm. Myers must have a mistake on his birth certificate because the guy is playing like a vet and one of our best players. Butler and Rivet have both been solid. I read somewhere that Montedor is having the best year of his career and I don't disagree as he's been good. As for Sekera, I think that injury to him earlier this year was the best thing that could have happened. He's been great ever since returning.

We have 7 quality defense in my opinion and I don't know who should sit in the press box when Lydman is finally 100% ready to go.

This is a good problem to have and may really help us out having this depth later in the year.

On a side note, I'm not getting too high on this team yet because we have no depth at goaltending and some of our forwards are invisible for long stretches. But seriously, this might be the best group of dmen we've had in years....

It's a good problem to have for sure. I personally would not change the six that are playing well right now, but if you absolutely had to get Lydman in I would have to say Monte or Shakira should sit.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I don't think you break up Rivet-Butler or Tallinder-Weber, I guess Montador or Sekera, and I been more impressed by Montador to date. Montador was either really underestimated but some of the people here or is playing his ass off to stay off the scratch list.

I suppose Lindy could go back to the late 90s (or was that Nolan?) where the guy that didn't work hard the last game sat.

Sekera and Rivet have been the "weakest" D men to date IMHO. Although, I think Sekera has been slowly improving. Still, if you're playing your best, then Sekera would be my first choice.

However, Lindy's "new tone" has been to be a gentler, more sympathetic Lindy, so maybe they rotate out D men based on whom they think needs an extra game rest until someone is injured.

It's a marvelous problem to have - all seven D men are pretty good in their own way and together make up a solid D corp.

Sekera and Rivet have been the "weakest" D men to date IMHO. Although, I think Sekera has been slowly improving. Still, if you're playing your best, then Sekera would be my first choice.

However, Lindy's "new tone" has been to be a gentler, more sympathetic Lindy, so maybe they rotate out D men based on whom they think needs an extra game rest until someone is injured.

It's a marvelous problem to have - all seven D men are pretty good in their own way and together make up a solid D corp.

Lindy likes Sekera's recent efforts. A safe bet is Toni sitting out at least one more game. He's ready, however.

Here's Lindy on Sekera today ...

"These last two games in my eyes have been a lot better. He’s been physical down low. His play in his own end has been pretty darn good. I think that’s where it all starts, in your own end. If you take care of that, the other side, everything else will take care of itself."

it's not that good of a problem to have. Remember that we have paestch already sitting out. Along with Mair when when Grier returns. With Lydman, that makes three sitting a night, I don't know the roster size cuz i'm blanking on it, but can you even have three healthy scratches a night? It's probably not that big a deal, but Darcy has to be working the phones.

it's not that good of a problem to have. Remember that we have paestch already sitting out. Along with Mair when when Grier returns. With Lydman, that makes three sitting a night, I don't know the roster size cuz i'm blanking on it, but can you even have three healthy scratches a night? It's probably not that big a deal, but Darcy has to be working the phones.

The max roster allows for 3 reserves, so they're right there. If they're ever in a bind, they can send Mair down to Portland without having to clear waivers again (up until he plays in his 10th game since clearing).

Completely agree with this post. I can't believe it but really I think that Rivet might be one of our "weakest" D men as of late. In my opinion you've got to keep the top 6 playing until someone's play tails off for a couple games or someone get injured.

Dispite what someone above had posted, it is DEFINETLY a good problem to have. (**remembering playing Carolina in the semi's with multiple injuried D men)

I am and always have been a Lydman supporter. But he simply has been our worst D-man so far this year, now I dont know if this is just due to him dealing with injuries, not getting enough games to feel comfortable, or even feeling the pressure with the amount of D men we have. But until someone goes down with an injury or starts playing like Dimitri Kalinin, I think you gotta keep scratching him.

Completely agree with this post. I can't believe it but really I think that Rivet might be one of our "weakest" D men as of late. In my opinion you've got to keep the top 6 playing until someone's play tails off for a couple games or someone get injured.

Dispite what someone above had posted, it is DEFINETLY a good problem to have. (**remembering playing Carolina in the semi's with multiple injuried D men)

Rivet's a vet, smart with the puck and gets picked when the going gets tough or we need to protect a lead late. If you mean "weakest' as in not weak, but maybe the rest are a bit better? okay but I wouldn't say he's weak. He's been invisible which is good for a d-man.

I am and always have been a Lydman supporter. But he simply has been our worst D-man so far this year, now I dont know if this is just due to him dealing with injuries, not getting enough games to feel comfortable, or even feeling the pressure with the amount of D men we have. But until someone goes down with an injury or starts playing like Dimitri Kalinin, I think you gotta keep scratching him.

Again, worst so far this year? He's missed 13 games. Only played in what? Four? Three with a good groin? As long as when he gets back he's not teamed up with Tallinder.

Rivet's a vet, smart with the puck and gets picked when the going gets tough or we need to protect a lead late. If you mean "weakest' as in not weak, but maybe the rest are a bit better? okay but I wouldn't say he's weak. He's been invisible which is good for a d-man.

Again, worst so far this year? He's missed 13 games. Only played in what? Four? Three with a good groin? As long as when he gets back he's not teamed up with Tallinder.

Tough to say who gets yanked. All are playing pretty well at at their expected talent levels. Rivet does struggle at times but you can't sacrifice his leadership and hardnose approach in our own zone. Same goes for Montador, a very underrated signing this year.

I expect Lindy will let Lydman sit a game or two and either wait for someone to struggle a bit or get banged up. The 7th (now 8th) NHL defensemen problem is wonderful to have. It's a very hard position to rely on call ups, we cna all remember the ECF vs carolina and look at the penguins of late. THey're down to 2 of their top 6 now. Never a bad thing to have a nice cache in wait.

I wouldn't play Lydman until someone gets injured or a defensemen goes into a prolonged slumped. The team is playing great right now and there is no reason to alter the lineup as long as they keep winning. It's not like Toni is a superstar and his presence would make us even better then we are right now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I wouldn't play Lydman until someone gets injured or a defensemen goes into a prolonged slumped. The team is playing great right now and there is no reason to alter the lineup as long as they keep winning. It's not like Toni is a superstar and his presence would make us even better then we are right now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Can you guarantee that it wouldn't?

Definitely a good problem to have.

I think it comes down to playing two of these three: Lydman, Sekera & Montador. If we're playing the trap like we did against Philly, then Sekera gets scratched. If we're playing a game where we're expecting the d-men to move up and down the ice then I expect Lydman to sit. I don't know what situation Monty sits out, maybe if he stops working hard and getting pucks to the net!

Rivet's game has been off. His feet seem noticeably slower this year, and he isn't making wise decisions with the puck. Ive also seen him get caught out of position a few times (recently), which is very uncharacteristic of him.

Still, he's the captain and I wouldn't sit him.

Looks like Lydman is a healthy scratch tonight: linky.

I think this is the right call. No need to bench Sekera unless he starts playing poorly. Someone will get banged up soon enough.

Also, I don't see anyone besides Sekera getting healthy-scratched in favor of Lydman any time soon.

Finally, as someone mentioned above, this is a good problem to have. Pittsburgh is getting killed right now with injuries to their D -- now McKee is out for a couple of weeks with an infection (does that sound familar?).

With Lydman ready to go now, it's just more motivation for the current top 6 to keep their spots in the lineup, right? :thumbsup:

We'll start hurting soon enough though. Could get interesting between now and the trade deadline, because as always, there will be teams dying for a D-man like Lydman or Tallinder. I'd say wait as long as we can to trade one away, but definitely listen to offers in the spring. Who knows, we could have a Dman or two go down for the season come January :ph34r: , then we'll be glad we had a strong 7 + Paetsch. Just my thoughts :)

Archived