GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Some interesting items:

1. Washington less OV has taken the number one slot in the east.

2. NJ is 9-1 on the road.

3. All five Atlantic Division teams are in the top eight seeds right now. Only the Sabres from the Northeast are in there.

4. Pitt is starting to feel the effects of Malkin's injury. They have lost four straight.

5. Buffalo and NJ have surrendered the fewest goals 35.

6. Washington has scored 73 goals leading the 2nd place, San Jose, by six goals.

7. Carolina sporting a 14 game winless streak has scored the fewest goals at 37. They are however tied with the Preds who have six more wins.

8. Detroit has crept back into the 8th playoff seed. Be interesting to see where they end up. As rough a season as they appear to be having, they are only three points out of the division lead.

9. Chicago has the most home wins with nine.

10. Toronto has one just one home game in eight tries.

The coffee is brewing and internet cranking over at wjag's house this morning!

Holy Stats Batman.

For tonight:

I still look for Lalime in net. Back to back nights should necessitate a start from the back-up.

Unfortunately, we are playing Philly - who have our number big time.

We can afford to take the (I hate to say) gamble with Lalime.

It is a long season with a compressed scheduled, & Olympic break.

Establish the practice of using the backup and deal with the results.

We need a healthy, playoff ready Miller come April.

That should be a top priority.

I also can understand how you would play the hot hand in goal, but...I have over-italicized and need to stop here...

A lot has been made about the Sabres problems in their third game in four nights.

The numbers from 08-09 are mixed. As usual, you can make them jump through hoops to fit your argument. You can say they were terrible -- and they were. They only five times in 16 "third games." But I can say they got points in nine of those 16 games, which isn't bad. For the record they were 5-7-4.

On the road, they got points in six of nine games (3-3-3). The home record was disappointing (2-4-1).

They're off to a bad start this year, which is concerning (0-2). But their start last year was bad, too (1-4-3 through the first of the year). They ended strong(ly?) at 4-3-1.

The question remains whether such records are pretty much universal across the league, like records when trailing after two.

Maybe I'll see how Pittsburgh and Detroit fared in third games last year...

Pittspuke -- 8-4

Detwat -- 6-7-1

Miller needs to start this one and by the comments last night it sounds like he will. LaLime only needs to start 1 of every five games to get his 20 a year. Miller is still fresh and has 3 days off if he plays Wed. Five if he doesn't play until next weekend. I'd rather see him play Bruins and Sens than Florida.

I do know for sure that I'm tired after watching that game and can't imagine how tired the Sabres are. Here's hoping they're up for it.

Miller needs to start this one and by the comments last night it sounds like he will. LaLime only needs to start 1 of every five games to get his 20 a year. Miller is still fresh and has 3 days off if he plays Wed. Five if he doesn't play until next weekend. I'd rather see him play Bruins and Sens than Florida.

I do know for sure that I'm tired after watching that game and can't imagine how tired the Sabres are. Here's hoping they're up for it.

Lalime should be looking for his fourth start then.

I like Miller tonight. Let it all hang out.

Lalime needs to start 1 out of 4 games to get to 20, but I agree that the Sabres should go with Miller tonight and Lalime on Wednesday--not because Miller will need the break then, but because Lalime will need the action.

Some interesting items:

1. Washington less OV has taken the number one slot in the east.

2. NJ is 9-1 on the road.

3. All five Atlantic Division teams are in the top eight seeds right now. Only the Sabres from the Northeast are in there.

4. Pitt is starting to feel the effects of Malkin's injury. They have lost four straight.

5. Buffalo and NJ have surrendered the fewest goals 35.

6. Washington has scored 73 goals leading the 2nd place, San Jose, by six goals.

7. Carolina sporting a 14 game winless streak has scored the fewest goals at 37. They are however tied with the Preds who have six more wins.

8. Detroit has crept back into the 8th playoff seed. Be interesting to see where they end up. As rough a season as they appear to be having, they are only three points out of the division lead.

9. Chicago has the most home wins with nine.

10. Toronto has one just one home game in eight tries.

They are missing more than Malkin. A third of the team is hurt.

A lot has been made about the Sabres problems in their third game in four nights.

The numbers from 08-09 are mixed. As usual, you can make them jump through hoops to fit your argument. You can say they were terrible -- and they were. They only five times in 16 "third games." But I can say they got points in nine of those 16 games, which isn't bad. For the record they were 5-7-4.

On the road, they got points in six of nine games (3-3-3). The home record was disappointing (2-4-1).

They're off to a bad start this year, which is concerning (0-2). But their start last year was bad, too (1-4-3 through the first of the year). They ended strong(ly?) at 4-3-1.The question remains whether such records are pretty much universal across the league, like records when trailing after two.

Maybe I'll see how Pittsburgh and Detroit fared in third games last year...

Pittspuke -- 8-4

Detwat -- 6-7-1

Good stuff.

I've also been wondering about this back to back thing with this team for awhile as well. I just seem to recall seeing some of their worst hockey in these games.

So here we are again aginst a big physical team on a 3rd game in 4 nights... All righty then I'm ready to see what they got. Go sabres

Now we know why Stafford's ice time was so low last night...

I wonder if it was because of that crazy extension of his to prevent from being offsides.

What's the word on Ennis? Isn't he about the size of Kennedy? IIRC he was one of the dudes in yellow fighting for a spot on the team.

Interesting, too, they didn't call up Gerbe.

I wonder if it was because of that crazy extension of his to prevent from being offsides.

What's the word on Ennis? Isn't he about the size of Kennedy? IIRC he was one of the dudes in yellow fighting for a spot on the team.

Interesting, too, they didn't call up Gerbe.

Gerbe has been out of the Portland lineup with concussion like symptoms

Archived