Same Old "Stuff" - Different Year

ntjacks79

Well, another typically quiet "post-mortem" on both MSG and in the Buffalo News. I guess that no one else is seeing what people who have watched the Sabres for years are seeing. Once AGAIN the 2009-2010 Sabres are showing characteristics of a team that either cannot or will not "battle" in the 1:1's that happen all over the ice for FAR too many games, give maximum effort every night, FORCE the other team to beat them with skill, not with effort alone. We hear the same old stuff we've heard month after month since the Drury departure (I don't know if that's coincidental). We didn't have "energy" tonight - they "outworked" us - we just didn't get it done. WHAT? Since WHEN did this become acceptable in Buffalo? How much longer do we listen to the excuses before we actually DO something? Clearly this is why the Sabres went out and got a guy like Mike Grier. I sincerely hope that the locker room after the Boston game last night was R-rated bordering on X-rated with Mike Grier and vets like him leading the way. If not, we all might as well start thinking about the Bills draft next April - because BOTH seasons are over before Thanksgiving.

ps - this is NOT about a two-game losing streak... this is about "all the signs are there that nothing has changed with the Sabres"... meaning we are likely to get the same result - a 9th or 10th place finish.

Well, another typically quiet "post-mortem" on both MSG and in the Buffalo News. I guess that no one else is seeing what people who have watched the Sabres for years are seeing. Once AGAIN the 2009-2010 Sabres are showing characteristics of a team that either cannot or will not "battle" in the 1:1's that happen all over the ice for FAR too many games, give maximum effort every night, FORCE the other team to beat them with skill, not with effort alone. We hear the same old stuff we've heard month after month since the Drury departure (I don't know if that's coincidental). We didn't have "energy" tonight - they "outworked" us - we just didn't get it done. WHAT? Since WHEN did this become acceptable in Buffalo? How much longer do we listen to the excuses before we actually DO something? Clearly this is why the Sabres went out and got a guy like Mike Grier. I sincerely hope that the locker room after the Boston game last night was R-rated bordering on X-rated with Mike Grier and vets like him leading the way. If not, we all might as well start thinking about the Bills draft next April - because BOTH seasons are over before Thanksgiving.

ps - this is NOT about a two-game losing streak... this is about "all the signs are there that nothing has changed with the Sabres"... meaning we are likely to get the same result - a 9th or 10th place finish.

This what happens when the team keeps the same players for 3 years, expecting different results. Until Regier and/or Quinn are gone, this is what we can get used to. Regier should have been fired after the 07-08 offseason disaster, but as the Bills also prove, mediocrity is clearly the norm in Buffalo. :bag:

I posted Roy's comment in another thread: "Maybe we took them for granted." THE BRUINS!

You are right about the Buffalo sports media. Bucky's the only one with a set, but he's changed -- he wears fancy schmancy new slacks now.

But wait... Lindy said after the Flyers game he didn't go in the room. He was going to let the players figure it out. Grier, reportedly, did most of the talking.

I posted Roy's comment in another thread: "Maybe we took them for granted." THE BRUINS!

You are right about the Buffalo sports media. Bucky's the only one with a set, but he's changed -- he wears fancy schmancy new slacks now.

But wait... Lindy said after the Flyers game he didn't go in the room. He was going to let the players figure it out. Grier, reportedly, did most of the talking.

To be clear, I meant not only the media but the fans reaction to it as well. Sabres fans should be absolutely furious this morning and the media should be mirroring the fans feelings and asking some tough questions. Cities that have expectations to win would not put up with lack of effort from a talented team. Yankee fans wouldn't. We need a little more of that attitude in Buffalo.

3 straight ugly games.

But to give Boston some credit...

They played a good game against Detriot and lost earlier this week.

Buffalo was clearly backing up too much throughout this game.

The Sabres had a good start to the season, but teams have had a chance to look at their system

and gameplan for them.

They are going to have to find ways to grind out some points when things aren't clicking.

Lest we not forget, they are actually playing decent to average teams, which they hadn't minus NJ.

The thing with NJ and Detroit for that matter, they are/were not big physical teams. The Flyers and Boston are (and to some degree so is TO) so now that the Sabres weakness is exposed any team that can play that style will and should until we show we can beat it...

The thing with NJ and Detroit for that matter, they are/were not big physical teams. The Flyers and Boston are (and to some degree so is TO) so now that the Sabres weakness is exposed any team that can play that style will and should until we show we can beat it...

The weakness you speak of has been there and exposed for a few seasons now. I believe it is called "candyassitis"

Ok we whine that we have pretty much the same team as the past three years. If that's the case than I don't think the "Sabres weakness is exposed" as it has been exposed for three years now. The team is relatively soft but I hate over analysing after every game. After a 9-2-1 start everyone kept saying how this team is "different." Now they lose two in a row and the team is "the same as the past three years." Honestly, the team is 9-4-1, just be quiet and see how the team reacts. The division isn't crazy good and any team can win it. It's two games, don't forget about our nine wins this year.

Ok we whine that we have pretty much the same team as the past three years. If that's the case than I don't think the "Sabres weakness is exposed" as it has been exposed for three years now. The team is relatively soft but I hate over analysing after every game. After a 9-2-1 start everyone kept saying how this team is "different." Now they lose two in a row and the team is "the same as the past three years." Honestly, the team is 9-4-1, just be quiet and see how the team reacts. The division isn't crazy good and any team can win it. It's two games, don't forget about our nine wins this year.

Yeah, but, ya know what? We already went through two seasons of "it's two games" or "let's see if they can pull out of this losing streak next game". I'm ready and willing to over-react now. They've tried my patience and I have given the team the benefit of the doubt in the past, but now I'm willing to start calling out players who can't get rid of the suck.

Vanek and Stafford happen to be on the A List. Connolly is on the B List with Miller. Can't say I have a list that inlcudes Pommers or the St. Pauli Girl because those two have been putting in the effort. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the team, even though Guastad and Montador fight like stupid, fat chicks. Oh, wait, on the Exit List is Mair, although I feel bad because it'd be one more thing in his personal life that goes wrong. However, business is business.

Ruff needs to figure out how to get to this bunch of emo half pricks. Regier needs to get an offensive stud on the team who knows he has a sack and what it's about.

I'm still not sure about the secondary goal tending. It'd be nice to have Marty, but then they'd leave him out to dry, too!

Screw this - the team needs to correct the ship NOW - it's time to bitch and moan NOW - because a third season of half-assed crap isn't going to cut it.

There was a lot of talk about not losing two games in a row. A big problem we've had over the last two-three years is going on losing streaks that we couldn't snap out of. Team leaders like Grier were brought in to ensure that we could stop ugly streaks like that. That's two regulation losses now - by the end of this week we should have a pretty good indicator whether the team has changed or not.

We have definitely been outworked the last 3-4 games - our effort has been nothing like it was the first few games this season. Maybe Ruff is right, with the flu the energy has been sapped. Maybe he's just making excuses, we'll know this week.

Agreed. This is an 82 game season...there will be ups and downs.

Yeah, but, ya know what? We already went through two seasons of "it's two games" or "let's see if they can pull out of this losing streak next game". I'm ready and willing to over-react now. They've tried my patience and I have given the team the benefit of the doubt in the past, but now I'm willing to start calling out players who can't get rid of the suck.

Vanek and Stafford happen to be on the A List. Connolly is on the B List with Miller. Can't say I have a list that inlcudes Pommers or the St. Pauli Girl because those two have been putting in the effort. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the team, even though Guastad and Montador fight like stupid, fat chicks. Oh, wait, on the Exit List is Mair, although I feel bad because it'd be one more thing in his personal life that goes wrong. However, business is business.

Ruff needs to figure out how to get to this bunch of emo half pricks. Regier needs to get an offensive stud on the team who knows he has a sack and what it's about.

I'm still not sure about the secondary goal tending. It'd be nice to have Marty, but then they'd leave him out to dry, too!

Screw this - the team needs to correct the ship NOW - it's time to bitch and moan NOW - because a third season of half-assed crap isn't going to cut it.

Well I can see why you're calling out Miller...that 1.89 GAA and .936 SV% are atrocious. Before you get started...show me any goalie that didn't have a few bad games in a season.

Well I can see why you're calling out Miller...that 1.89 GAA and .936 SV% are atrocious. Before you get started...show me any goalie that didn't have a few bad games in a season.

That would be a great point if those numbers were achieved against some tougher competition.

Against almost all non playoff teams from a year ago, minus a depleted Detroit team.

Inkman, that's my point why I'm so frusterated with this board. Last year we whined and whined about how 'if we could only beat the bottom feeders we'd have been in the playoffs.' Now we're beating them and everyone wants to jump on the 'well all we've beaten is the non-playoff teams from a year ago.' A win is a win. Everyone wants to jump on them for their losses and don't really give them credit for the nine wins. Wow, it seems like every year it's a tough crowd on this board, we're only 14 games in with a 9-4-1 record. That's who we are.....

Now that was a heckuva rant.

As long as people know the record is inflated against inferior competition. Now that they are playing decent teams, they are showing their true colors.

NJ has won something like 8 of their last 9. That was a high-quality win.

3 straight ugly games.

3 of 4 anyway. I don't remember the shutout win over the Islanders being ugly at all. Really though, the one thing that sticks out to me the most over the last two games (and I couldn't really focus on the Bruins game since I was out somewhere, partially watching the game) was that their puck movement was horrible. Sure, the other team plays a role in that, but they consistently looked like they didn't have a clue how to pass or carry the puck.

Inkman, that's my point why I'm so frusterated with this board. Last year we whined and whined about how 'if we could only beat the bottom feeders we'd have been in the playoffs.' Now we're beating them and everyone wants to jump on the 'well all we've beaten is the non-playoff teams from a year ago.' A win is a win. Everyone wants to jump on them for their losses and don't really give them credit for the nine wins. Wow, it seems like every year it's a tough crowd on this board, we're only 14 games in with a 9-4-1 record. That's who we are.....

This early in the season, it's not so much about who the Sabres beat or what their record is, it is about seeing whether the Sabres might have what it takes for the long haul. But even beyond that, it's about the city of Buffalo not accepting this type of play anymore. This is a GOOD Sabres team from a talent perspective. They're not working hard in 60% of their games. Not working hard? They should be getting CRUSHED on this board, not defended. Dave Andreychuk recently apologized to the city of Buffalo for not winning the Stanley Cup while he was a Sabre - basically saying there was no excuse for it given the talent they had. I think the one thing we can do as fans is "push" this team a little harder - and not be so quick to defend.

This early in the season, it's not so much about who the Sabres beat or what their record is, it is about seeing whether the Sabres might have what it takes for the long haul. But even beyond that, it's about the city of Buffalo not accepting this type of play anymore. This is a GOOD Sabres team from a talent perspective. They're not working hard in 60% of their games. Not working hard? They should be getting CRUSHED on this board, not defended. Dave Andreychuk recently apologized to the city of Buffalo for not winning the Stanley Cup while he was a Sabre - basically saying there was no excuse for it given the talent they had. I think the one thing we can do as fans is "push" this team a little harder - and not be so quick to defend.

I see you only have 3 posts so I'm not sure if you cruised this board before this season or not. There are VERY few people that are quick to defend this team on this board. Generally I don't comment on the negativity but I just had to this time because if you've been a part of the board for multiple seasons then you'd see how there are many ppl ready to put this team down in a heart beat but few that are quick to defend.

I'm just saying that reading this board even a week and a half ago the Sabres were considered a "different team" than past years. Then they lose two in a row and "they're the same team" as the past two years. Come on, ppl are just over reacting to every game a little much. They've played poor of late and if they continue this slide over the next four or five games then yes I will be very concerned. Until then I'm not ready to start analyzing the quality of the opponents or ligitimity (if that's a word) behind all their wins.

Furthermore, I don't think that the way the team plays now will give much influence on their ability to win the cup. (look at how the penguins played the start of last year) So basically the key is make the playoffs and I still believe that anything can happen when you're there. So if our goal is to make the playoffs first then look who Buffalo has already beat (Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Florida, Ny Islanders, New Jersy and Toronto) So if they really haven't beaten any quality opponents then Buffalo must be considered better than all these teams. Only seven teams don't make the playoffs and Buffalo must already be considered better than five of them. At the end of the year this team WILL be in the playoffs (baring a huge Ryan Miller injury) and don't over react along the way.

Archived