Same Old "Stuff" - Different Year

ntjacks79

wow ... it's nice to read some stuff that does give this team some props. All last year, the whine was about not tough enough, or Tim Connolly not worth the money, or Miller being just average ... finally, someone who does allow some slack, gives credit when it's due, and OMG 2 losses in a row! I'm not even close to the panic button ...

wow ... it's nice to read some stuff that does give this team some props. All last year, the whine was about not tough enough, or Tim Connolly not worth the money, or Miller being just average ... finally, someone who does allow some slack, gives credit when it's due, and OMG 2 losses in a row! I'm not even close to the panic button ...

Nice post Rox, finally someone else that doesn't jump all over the team and whine about anything/everything they can think of......

Can't say I have a list that inlcudes Pommers or the St. Pauli Girl because those two have been putting in the effort.

Pominville is a huge waste of a $5.5 million dollar a year cap hit. He had 20 goals last year and is pretty much invisible most games. The problem is wasting money on the wrong players (Tallinder, Pominville, Roy, etc.) and letting the right ones go (not naming them). Pominville was a guy who thrived with a good center(Briere) and playing against the opponents third and fourth lines. The Sabres front office overpriced the "core", and its now year three of the same crap.

I don't think people are panicking, they are just tired of seeing the same stuff for the last two years. Except for some talk, there isn't much different about this team then last year or the year before.

I don't think people are panicking, they are just tired of seeing the same stuff for the last two years. Except for some talk, there isn't much different about this team then last year or the year before.

Completely disagree.

Pominville is a huge waste of a $5.5 million dollar a year cap hit. He had 20 goals last year and is pretty much invisible most games. The probably is wasting money on the wrong players (Tallinder, Pominville, Roy, etc.) and letting the right ones go (not naming them). Pominville was a guy who thrived with a good center(Briere) and playing against the opponents third and fourth lines. The Sabres front office overpriced the "core", and its now year three of the same crap.

Yes, he's over-paid, but Pommers is doing a lot better this year. 11 pts, of which 4 are goals. He's been good on the PK and he back-checks. I disagree about him being invisible: he and Hecht have been standing out as much as anyone at the games I have been to so far. Not only that, he's been getting pissed at these losses and has been as vocal as anyone in the locker room about that.

Trust me, I was down on Pommers and Hecht big time last season and I'm happy to say they've changed my tune, so far, with the effort they put in. At this point, there's nothing you can do about the salaries; they are what they are.

I'm even alright with Roy, another guy I was down on. If any one of the offense has been clutch on this team this season so far, it has been Roy.

Pominville is a huge waste of a $5.5 million dollar a year cap hit. He had 20 goals last year and is pretty much invisible most games. The probably is wasting money on the wrong players (Tallinder, Pominville, Roy, etc.) and letting the right ones go (not naming them). Pominville was a guy who thrived with a good center(Briere) and playing against the opponents third and fourth lines. The Sabres front office overpriced the "core", and its now year three of the same crap.

In previous years, yes, but right now I have no problem with what they're paying Tallinder.

Pominville was a guy who thrived with a good center(Briere) and playing against the opponents third and fourth lines.

I'm sick of hearing this? Who on the Sabres was playing against a checking line in 05-06 and 06-07? This is the same BS I hear as to why Vanek isn't the same player he was in previous years.

I see you only have 3 posts so I'm not sure if you cruised this board before this season or not. There are VERY few people that are quick to defend this team on this board. Generally I don't comment on the negativity but I just had to this time because if you've been a part of the board for multiple seasons then you'd see how there are many ppl ready to put this team down in a heart beat but few that are quick to defend.

I'm just saying that reading this board even a week and a half ago the Sabres were considered a "different team" than past years. Then they lose two in a row and "they're the same team" as the past two years. Come on, ppl are just over reacting to every game a little much. They've played poor of late and if they continue this slide over the next four or five games then yes I will be very concerned. Until then I'm not ready to start analyzing the quality of the opponents or ligitimity (if that's a word) behind all their wins.

My post on the first page was my first post on this forum pretty much backs up what you're saying. I cruise through here on a regular basis to see what everybody is saying and have noticed that the majority judges the team as a whole based on one or two games. It's all good, everybody has their opinion. I've been meaning to sign up for a while but finally did so because I wanted to defend the team a little bit. I'm sure I'll be on here quite often now that I've signed up.

I will not hesitate to criticize the team if things are looking grim, but IMO it's much too early to throw in the towel. Like I said in my first post, I think the team has improved and last years experience has made them better, or at least will make them better throughout the year. I don't think last year was a good time to make any major changes; this year is the telling tale to see if the extra experience and addition of a couple of vets has helped. Personally, I think it will.

One thing that does concern me about last year, and this year to a point is the lack of effort from the team when our backup goaltender is in net. Last year when Miller went down, Patty allowed 6 goals in his first 3 games and we won ZERO of them because we only scored 3. I think Patty is unfairly blamed for not making the playoffs. Those 3 games was arguably probably the worst stretch of games the rest of the team played all year. And this year, they didn't play too hot against Atlanta and looked downright awful with Enroth in net. Give it some time people. It could be worse. Living down here in SoFL I watch the majority of the Panthers games and the fans have been waiting just as long to get into the playoffs as we've been waiting for the Bills to make it. Let the Sabres learn from last years mistakes and see how they bounce back. If they fail, then it's time to make some changes.

My post on the first page was my first post on this forum pretty much backs up what you're saying. I cruise through here on a regular basis to see what everybody is saying and have noticed that the majority judges the team as a whole based on one or two games. It's all good, everybody has their opinion. I've been meaning to sign up for a while but finally did so because I wanted to defend the team a little bit. I'm sure I'll be on here quite often now that I've signed up.

I think you just described 95% of all sports fans worldwide. It's almost always about today and nothing else.

I will not hesitate to criticize the team if things are looking grim, but IMO it's much too early to throw in the towel. Like I said in my first post, I think the team has improved and last years experience has made them better, or at least will make them better throughout the year. I don't think last year was a good time to make any major changes; this year is the telling tale to see if the extra experience and addition of a couple of vets has helped. Personally, I think it will.

One thing that does concern me about last year, and this year to a point is the lack of effort from the team when our backup goaltender is in net. Last year when Miller went down, Patty allowed 6 goals in his first 3 games and we won ZERO of them because we only scored 3. I think Patty is unfairly blamed for not making the playoffs. Those 3 games was arguably probably the worst stretch of games the rest of the team played all year. And this year, they didn't play too hot against Atlanta and looked downright awful with Enroth in net. Give it some time people. It could be worse. Living down here in SoFL I watch the majority of the Panthers games and the fans have been waiting just as long to get into the playoffs as we've been waiting for the Bills to make it. Let the Sabres learn from last years mistakes and see how they bounce back. If they fail, then it's time to make some changes.

Thank god someone who understand this team and is willing to give them a chance.

Archived