Miller and the Olympics

Mbossy

So the schedule came out today. It doesn't look all that bad unless the US goes deep.

The timeline:

Buffalo plays Away at Canes on Feb 11th, Home against the Sharks on Feb 13th.

First game for the US is Feb 16th, then again on Feb 18.

Playoff qualifier on 2/23

Quarter finals the 24th

Semi's the 26th.

Saturday the 27th is Bronze game

Sunday the 28th is Gold

Sabres play Penguins away on Tuesday March 2

Sabres play Sharks at home Wed the 3rd.

So, naturally I'm more worried about the ride home and playing 2 or 3 days after the Olympics. But with Russia having Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kovalchuk, you'd think the US won't be in that Gold game.

Roster for the US is announced during the Winter Classic.

Are any other Sabres considered to have a chance at being on their countries roster during the Olympics?

I'm just throwing some names out there, not knowing who the competition is for each team

Germany - Gogulla, Schutz or Hecht

Canada - Roy

US - Miller, Pominville(US or Canadian?), Stafford or Gaustad

Finland - Lydman

Sweden - Tallinder

Are any other Sabres considered to have a chance at being on their countries roster during the Olympics?

I'm just throwing some names out there, not knowing who the competition is for each team

Canada - Roy

Finland - Lydman

Sweden - Tallinder

I found the answer to my question...

All German players in the NHL will not be in the Olympics due to some financial issue, Roy was in the Canada camp, Miller in the US camp and Lydman in the Finland camp.

Canada - Roy

Finland - Lydman

Sweden - Tallinder

Not to continue busting on him, but isn't Tallinder permanently barred from the Swedish team?

If Tim Connolly keeps healthy I think he will be playing. Can't see usa going deep I think Canada and Russia in the gold medal game.

After looking at the US tryout camp roster from last summer, I am not sure where Connolly fits.

I agree with NS guy. There is plenty of room in that tryout roster (which is 5 months old, BTW) for TC if he continues on a 30-50-80 pace.

Separately: I am pretty psyched to watch the Olympic hockey tournament. Any of the games where Canada, Russia, USA or Sweden are facing each other will be really good. And I would love to see Miller put team USA on his back and get an upset over Canada or Russia.

I agree with NS guy. There is plenty of room in that tryout roster (which is 5 months old, BTW) for TC if he continues on a 30-50-80 pace.

Separately: I am pretty psyched to watch the Olympic hockey tournament. Any of the games where Canada, Russia, USA or Sweden are facing each other will be really good. And I would love to see Miller put team USA on his back and get an upset over Canada or Russia.

My only problem is I want to cheer Miller on but im Canadian so thats not going to happen but hope he is strong at very least. Also there is no way Roy will make team Canada just to much talent up the middle for Canada

If he puts up a great November and December, maybe he makes the team, but I think it says a lot that he didn't even get invited to the camp over guys like Callahan and Oshie.

If he puts up a great November and December, maybe he makes the team, but I think it says a lot that he didn't even get invited to the camp over guys like Callahan and Oshie.

I would say its because of his history with injury But if he stays off the IR for a bit longer people will take notice and he will be on the team he is better then alot of usa centers.

My only problem is I want to cheer Miller on but im Canadian so thats not going to happen but hope he is strong at very least.

You can cheer for him in non-Canadian games. I'm sure you'd especially enjoy it if Miller upset one of the powerhouses, making the road a little easier for Canada. :thumbsup:

Not to continue busting on him, but isn't Tallinder permanently barred from the Swedish team?

I think Hank is just barred from going to Sweden... but he can still play for them.

Also, Derek Roy won't play for Canada and only player other then Miller who can make USA IMO is Tim Connolly.

Yeah, as other have mentioned, it's got to be the injuries. I'm not a big Connolly fan by any means, but I think it'd be interesting to see what a healthy TC could do with the extra open ice. (Of course I said the same thing about Max, so what the heck do I know.)

Yeah, as other have mentioned, it's got to be the injuries. I'm not a big Connolly fan by any means, but I think it'd be interesting to see what a healthy TC could do with the extra open ice. (Of course I said the same thing about Max, so what the heck do I know.)

This would indeed be interesting, but it won't be the case in Vancouver as they will be playing on a regulation NHL-sized rink. In any case though, it would be pretty cool to see TC with wingers like, say, Parise and Guerin (or Parise and Kane).

Mirtle has a pretty good post about the US team that mentions TC as a possibility here. It doesn't hurt his chances that the list of centers doesn't include any franchise players. Frankly, other than Kesler, I don't see anyone on the list that is a certainty to make the team over TC.

the extra open ice -the reason I love Olympic hockey so much.

I know it will never happen, but the NHL would be so much better than the great game it is if every arena would take out 1 row of seats and put in the full, large european ice surface. That would solve "neutral trap" issues more effectively than any rule change/penalty enforcement ever will.

I'm glad Miller will have a chance to represent the USA. He deserves it and it obviously means alot to him. I can't help but be concerned though. He's in the midst of a fabulous season and could conceivably carry the Sabres to a Stanley Cup if he continues even close to this pace. It would be so typical BUFFALO for him to play in the Olympics and get hurt....derailing any chance the Sabres have to do anything. I'll be gritting my teeth for that whole 2 weeks when he's playing for team USA.

the extra open ice -the reason I love Olympic hockey so much.

I know it will never happen, but the NHL would be so much better than the great game it is if every arena would take out 1 row of seats and put in the full, large european ice surface. That would solve "neutral trap" issues more effectively than any rule change/penalty enforcement ever will.

They can't even get the owners to give up a couple of seats to make the benches big enough to hold all the players let alone eliminate a couple hundred to make the rinks bigger. It is a joke when the goalie if forced to sit in the aisle leading from the bench to the locker room because there is not enough room. How many seats would have to be eliminated to correct this?

I'm glad Miller will have a chance to represent the USA. He deserves it and it obviously means alot to him. I can't help but be concerned though. He's in the midst of a fabulous season and could conceivably carry the Sabres to a Stanley Cup if he continues even close to this pace. It would be so typical BUFFALO for him to play in the Olympics and get hurt....derailing any chance the Sabres have to do anything. I'll be gritting my teeth for that whole 2 weeks when he's playing for team USA.

I'm just glad it's not a contract year ala Briere and the ASG. That way if he wins MVP, it's not going to inflate his immediate contract value...

Is that selfish? You betcha....

They can't even get the owners to give up a couple of seats to make the benches big enough to hold all the players let alone eliminate a couple hundred to make the rinks bigger. It is a joke when the goalie if forced to sit in the aisle leading from the bench to the locker room because there is not enough room. How many seats would have to be eliminated to correct this?

You'd think the NHL would mandate these type of dimensions to enhance the product on the ice but of course they don't think anything is wrong with their game. :wallbash:

Me too. I wish he would bow out. The problem is -- he would have to care more about the Sabres than the Olympics to make such a decision. Given how he's playing this Olympic year, it's apparently the other way around. I see no other explanation for this light bulb that has gone off over his head. I'm not mad about it. I'm happy, of course, that he's playing so well and hope he can carry it through the Olympics and bring it right back to Buffalo for a long run in the playoffs.

You'd think the NHL would mandate these type of dimensions to enhance the product on the ice but of course they don't think anything is wrong with their game. :wallbash:

It's not that long ago that there were no standard dimensions at all. The difference between our little barn and the rink in Calgary used to be staggering.

Archived