Miller and the Olympics

Mbossy

Me too. I wish he would bow out. The problem is -- he would have to care more about the Sabres than the Olympics to make such a decision. Given how he's playing this Olympic year, it's apparently the other way around. I see no other explanation for this light bulb that has gone off over his head. I'm not mad about it. I'm happy, of course, that he's playing so well and hope he can carry it through the Olympics and bring it right back to Buffalo for a long run in the playoffs.

Nonsense.

(It's been a while since I've had to bring that one out. And you were doing so well. Oh well -- back to the drawing board.)

Me too. I wish he would bow out. The problem is -- he would have to care more about the Sabres than the Olympics to make such a decision. Given how he's playing this Olympic year, it's apparently the other way around. I see no other explanation for this light bulb that has gone off over his head. I'm not mad about it. I'm happy, of course, that he's playing so well and hope he can carry it through the Olympics and bring it right back to Buffalo for a long run in the playoffs.

capricious.

Nonsense.

(It's been a while since I've had to bring that one out. And you were doing so well. Oh well -- back to the drawing board.)

You don't think Miller's play has anything to do with his trying to become the starting goaltender for the U.S. Olympic team?

You don't think Miller's play has anything to do with his trying to become the starting goaltender for the U.S. Olympic team?

I think he wants to be the man on the US olympic team, but I don't think that is the reason for his excellent play and I certainly don't think he cares more about the olympic team than he does about the Sabres. For example, if playing for the olympic team would've required him to miss the Sabres' season, I think he would've bailed on the olympics.

I think Miller's excellent play this year is the result of high talent level (I've been singing his praises for several years now), natural career progression (he's at the age where he should be entering his prime) and the best team defense he's ever had in front of him. Also, the Sabres' schedule has been pretty kind so far.

On a side note, I think it's great that most NHL players would go through a wall to play for their olympic teams and to win the tournament. They don't make a dime for winning, but they do it because they love the game, they love playing with other great players, and they want to win for their countries. I don't watch much olympics but I'm going to watch a lot of the hockey this year. It's going to be a great tournament.

I think he wants to be the man on the US olympic team, but I don't think that is the reason for his excellent play and I certainly don't think he cares more about the olympic team than he does about the Sabres. For example, if playing for the olympic team would've required him to miss the Sabres' season, I think he would've bailed on the olympics.

I think Miller's excellent play this year is the result of high talent level (I've been singing his praises for several years now), natural career progression (he's at the age where he should be entering his prime) and the best team defense he's ever had in front of him. Also, the Sabres' schedule has been pretty kind so far.

On a side note, I think it's great that most NHL players would go through a wall to play for their olympic teams and to win the tournament. They don't make a dime for winning, but they do it because they love the game, they love playing with other great players, and they want to win for their countries. I don't watch much olympics but I'm going to watch a lot of the hockey this year. It's going to be a great tournament.

It's interesting to look at Ryan's save % through his career. He's been very consistent, going .914, .911, .906 and .918 his first full four seasons. Good but not elite. This year, he's sitting at .941. Does improved defensive play really explain it? And if you believe that, aren't you giving Miller the short end of the goalie stick? It's a backhanded compliment, if you ask me, damning with faint praise.

All we really have to evaluate the defense is perception. The stats are no good. The Sabres have cut 1.5 shots against per game from last year, but they're giving up half a shot a game more than two years ago. But that doesn't account for scoring chances. I imagine the chances are down, but maybe not as much as we think. Ryan has had to make a lot of tremendous saves. Some of them fly under the radar because he's under such control, not swimming around and having to make spectacular saves while getting back in position. Harry Neale keeps saying Miller has the quickest feet, implying it's been there his whole career. This novice has noticed it only this year -- think that rebound save in New Jersey.

There's no doubt in my mind that Ryan's game is on because of the Olympics. In an odd way, it lowers my opinion of him, but if it helps the Sabres, great. I fully expect Ryan to continue on a roll through the Olympics. What happens after the Olympics, IMHO, will be a defining moment in his career. If there's no dropoff and he takes the Sabres on a nice run, he'll finally enter the pantheon of the elite. If there's a dropoff, he will be lifted on that Olympic torch and rightly lit afire.

P.S. I hate the pros in the Olympics. It means we will never feel what we felt at Lake Placid again. The U.S. could win Gold this year, and the country would yawn. Well, maybe it's good that 1980 will be a once in history event.

He's been very consistent, going .914, .911, .906 and .918 his first full four seasons. Good but not elite.

As compared to the goalie considered by some to be the best ever, Brodeur had a SV% above .918 in only 3 seasons of his elite career. He had a SV% of .906 or less 4 times in his 15 full seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is it a given that Miller will play in all the preliminary games? If he doesn't and the USA does not make the medal round(which I also believe is not a given), Miller may not come back all that exhausted.

...and if the food is good at the Olympic Village he may even gain a few pounds! :D

If USA makes the Bronze/Silver game then Millsie plays Sat, gets two days rest if he plays against Pens on Tuesday. I would think that Lalime would play vs. the Pens. He's been outstanding against them letting in only one goal in 51 shots.

So if USA goes to B/S game, Millsie gets 3 days rest, if they go Gold (assuming he plays) he gets 2 days off.

At the most I see him playing 3 games in 13 days, a piece of cake for him.

Archived