GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

The Sabres showed allot of character snatching a win away from the lightning who must be stunned. This Tyler Myers fella is a freak of nature on ice, its just not natural for someone so big to move so well, unbelievable,wow, what a hockey game!

Now thats hockey at its best. :thumbsup:

I don't think there was ever chance he would be sent back to Kelowna, but now, there is absolutely zero chance he's sent back to Kelowna. What a great win by Buffalo, and how awesome was it that Myers wins the game? That's just fantastic. This kid's a keeper. He's made Tallinder a better player, which many of us thought would be impossible, and seriously looks like the best defenseman on the team right now.

What a tough game! I did not like the Sabres in the first, thought they played well in the second, and then Montador with the horrible play in the third and Stafford ties it up. Miller continues to be red hot, and I feel like the two goals he gave up were in large part due to bad plays by his defenseman and he didn't have much chance on either of those goals. Say what you want, but Miller was perfect in OT and the shootout, and that's a money goalie.

Overall, I felt pretty bleh about the game. I thought by and large the Sabres were outworked in the first, but then they started to get their game going. Tampa and Mike Smith played really well, so you have to give them credit, but it looked like a pretty sloppy game.

By the way, maybe it's just me, but the officiating was horrible tonight. There were a ton of non-calls for both teams. There were some really clear penalties on Tampa that were not called, and in fairness, there were some Buffalo penalties that were not called either. But, overall, pretty lousy officiating.

I'm happy to come out of the state of Florida with 4 out of 4 points. Now, it's onto New Jersey, which will be a real test.

Myers has more giveaways than any other player on the team, offense or defense.

Roy usually leads the team in that category, and was in the top 10 in the NHL last year in that category. FWIW, Ovechkin, I believe, led the NHL in giveaways last year. Don't know what it means, but it was the case. Myers is going to make his mistakes, but I'm okay with a guy giving the puck away because he's aggressive in the offensive zone, which is the case with Myers, than one who's giving the puck up in the defensive zone creating chances for the other team. The latter does not seem to be the case given his +/- for this year.

Edit: Here's the stat line from last season in terms of giveaways and sure enough Ovechkin led the NHL and Roy was third. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20092ALLAASAll&sort=giveaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Game thoughts...

- Myers with an awesome move in the shootout! Despite the occasional giveaway and the lack of physical play, I continue to be amazed with his skating and puck handling skills. Maybe he should be "The Skill".

- Miller with his best game of the year and probably his best performance in a shootout as a Sabre. Outstanding!

- Grier was the best player in a Sabre uniform not named Miller.

- I thought Kennedy had another good game and seems to be settling in with Grier and Hecht.

- Vanek with another yawner including his shootout attempt.

- Butler with a really good hit on Drew Miller. More please!

- On both Tampa goals the Sabres had two dmen caught behind the net. If Butler had rubbed out Lecavalier even a little bit, time would have run out with no shot on goal.

- I'm not one to normally complain about this, but the officiating was terrible.

- I thought Montador was more physical tonight than he was in all the other games combined to date.

- I thought Lindy was caught napping on Tampa's first goal. He had two chances in the last 30 seconds to get the Roy line off and instead chose to leave them out on the ice.

- Glad to see the win for all the Sabres fans that turned out at the game!

Go Sabres!!!

Game thoughts...

- Myers with an awesome move in the shootout! Despite the occasional giveaway and the lack of physical play, I continue to be amazed with his skating and puck handling skills. Maybe he should be "The Skill".

- Miller with his best game of the year and probably his best performance in a shootout as a Sabre. Outstanding!

- Grier was the best player in a Sabre uniform not named Miller.

- I thought Kennedy had another good game and seems to be settling in with Grier and Hecht.

- Vanek with another yawner including his shootout attempt.

- Butler with a really good hit on Drew Miller. More please!

- On both Tampa goals the Sabres had two dmen caught behind the net. If Butler had rubbed out Lecavalier even a little bit, time would have run out with no shot on goal.

- I'm not one to normally complain about this, but the officiating was terrible.

- I thought Montador was more physical tonight than he was in all the other games combined to date.

- I thought Lindy was caught napping on Tampa's first goal. He had two chances in the last 30 seconds to get the Roy line off and instead chose to leave them out on the ice.

- Glad to see the win for all the Sabres fans that turned out at the game!

Go Sabres!!!

Just my two cents. Grier was the best forward....

And as excited as we should be about Myers........Butler looks like the most seasoned player out there. What a solid road trip for him.

Archived