GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

That said, there wasn't much to like about the last 5 periods this team has played. I can't wait for this team to get through this soft patch of the schedule and start going up against the better teams in the league. Is this team for real or are they simply fattening up by feeding off the bottom.

Hey, you can only play the schedule thats in front of you...

Phoenix is playing pretty well this year, and they absolutely dominated Detroit, who although not playin gtoo well right now, is a good team. The rest of the teams have been average at best, but they have won all but 2 games, and have picked up a point in one of the ones they lost. The schedule will get tougher eventually, but this team usually plays to the level of the competition, so that is actually encouraging...

-Vanek needs to take skating lessons. If he added his legs to his game he would be unstoppable.

-The year Carolina beat us and went on to win the cup, Rod Brind'Amour was unbeatable on faceoffs and Laviolette used him the same way as Lindy is using Gaustad. Kinda goes against Lindy's line from last year that possession isn't all that important.

-Butler is our best defenseman, in my opinion by a lot. He's really good.

-It's funny, but I feel like this team is going to have more trouble with the fast skating,"softer" teams this year than the lock down, grittier teams. I know it's early but that make me hopeful for later in the year (and beyond?).

Vanek's skating is fine when he decides to put forth the effort. While his goal totals go up, the rest of his offensive game IMO is not nearly as good as it was a couple of years ago.

I'm glad about the 2pts and it looks like (i know it's really early) they hit the jackpot with Myers. It also looks like Miller may be taking that next step up.

That said, there wasn't much to like about the last 5 periods this team has played. I can't wait for this team to get through this soft patch of the schedule and start going up against the better teams in the league. Is this team for real or are they simply fattening up by feeding off the bottom.

Two other things.

1) If Connolly isn't scoring he is useless.

2) If Tallinder continues to play well do the Sabres consider extending him? I think it would be a huge mistake. I don't trust that Tallinder has rediscovered his game enough to tie up more money into him.

Connolly's assists serve no purpose?

When I replied, I considered "assists" to be "scoring," because they do serve a purpose. I took DeLuca to mean that Connolly's game is one-dimensional.

I think Connolly's game is anti-dimensional... It doesn't exist...

-Butler is our best defenseman, in my opinion by a lot. He's really good.

He is, isn't he? I am really thrilled by his performance this season, no sophomore slump or anything - though technically this is his first 'full' season.

Butler is getting major ice time the last few games, is on both the PP and PK, and has been firing more shots on goal, and is leading the Sabres in time-on-ice!

GP - 8, G - 0, A - 3, P - 3, +/- - 0, PIM - 2, S - 13, TOI/G - 23:02, Sft/G - 28.3

His +/- is only 0, and Rivet's is +1, but he has looked a little older this season - considering they are on ice matched up against most teams' best lines, I'm not too surprised.

4. I'll be the first to call it, Roy is in a funk. Sure he is getting the assists, but he is on the ice more than other forwards. His shot just seems off. His instincts just seem off.

I agree.

Somehow the stats don't look as miserable: 7 pts (all assists) in 8 games, 23 SOG (3rd on team), and about 50% on faceoffs - makes you think how much better they can be if he finds his mojo!

Ruff knows he's not at peak form this season, his ice time is also cut down to 18:39 - I had him on a fantasy team last season and he was regularly over 20 min.

makes you think how much better they can be if he finds his mojo!

51 points in his final 38 games (1.34 PPG) in 2007-08. Good enough for 3rd in the NHL from the All-Star Break to the end of the season, behind only Ovechkin and Malkin. That's how good! :thumbsup:

Archived