Tallinder fighting for his job? I don't think so!

LabattBlue

Hank has to go. It's clear his head isn't in it any longer. The kids need to play, so let them play. You know Myers won't take any shifts off, can't say the same for Hank.

I really hoped he'd changes his spots, but his effort on the Leafs 2nd goal was downright embarrassing.

Cut him, take the hit and move on. Sometimes you gotta just let go.

Releasing him will cost the Sabres 2/3 of his salary. I think it will still count against the cap for the next 2 years. So that's roughly 2 mil per for a non-roster player. Can they even afford to do that while paying his replacement? It would have to be Myers or Weber because they make less than the difference between Hank current salary and 2/3 of his salary, roughly 1 million dollars.

If the front office thought about it that way then maybe they would cut him.

Releasing him will cost the Sabres 2/3 of his salary. I think it will still count against the cap for the next 2 years. So that's roughly 2 mil per for a non-roster player. Can they even afford to do that while paying his replacement? It would have to be Myers or Weber because they make less than the difference between Hank current salary and 2/3 of his salary, roughly 1 million dollars.

Tallinder only has a cap hit of 2.5 million per season. However, he makes 3.25 this year (the final year of his contract).

If we were to buy him out of his contract, what would that entail? Im a little fuzzy on the exact details.

If the front office thought about it that way then maybe they would cut him.

I actually think I did the math wrong. The CBA says 2/3 his salary over twice the contract, so 2/3 of his salary is 2 million spread over 2 years (last year of his deal, is only 1 mill per year. Get rid of him now!

I actually think I did the math wrong. The CBA says 2/3 his salary over twice the contract, so 2/3 of his salary is 2 million spread over 2 years (last year of his deal, is only 1 mill per year. Get rid of him now!

:thumbsup:

Begin the revolution. Let's throw some economic reasoning behind ditching Tallinder: The opportunity cost of Tallinder is Tyler Myers. 'Nuff said.

B-)

:thumbsup:

Begin the revolution. Let's throw some economic reasoning behind ditching Tallinder: The opportunity cost of Tallinder is Tyler Myers. 'Nuff said.

B-)

Pack Tallinder's bags, take the cap hit, pay Myers and after one season it's a wash. Upside. Myers learns how to play in the bigs, Tallinder is gone.

It's the right move, but it's still flushing $2.35MM. I'd be very surprised if the Sabres did this.

Geez, nobody ever pays attention to my tables/graphs. I've posted this about five times:

post-1053-12538418592617_thumb.jpg

Due to the increasing salary, he gets a very low cap hit this year. Basically, the Sabres overpaid (in cap hits) for him over the past three seasons and, therefore, get a refund (again, in cap.) Buying him out would give them over $2 million in cap space this year, but would add just over $1 million next year.

These calcs are "clearly" laid out in the CBA. :thumbsup:

Geez, nobody ever pays attention to my tables/graphs. I've posted this about five times:

Due to the increasing salary, he gets a very low cap hit this year. Basically, the Sabres overpaid (in cap hits) for him over the past three seasons and, therefore, get a refund (again, in cap.) Buying him out would give them over $2 million in cap space this year, but would add just over $1 million next year.

I read your charts. I cherish them.

However, I think the Sabres are more focused on avoiding the flushing of actual cash than on avoiding the flushing of cap space. Your chart, as powerful and concise as it is, tragically focuses on the cap hit and not salary.

Carry on.

The chart doesn't take into account the Sabres' unwillingness to admit mistakes. Tallinder's cap hit/salary could be a dollar and the Sabres still wouldn't dump him.

I know negative. Sir, you were not negative.

This is negative.

As far as Tallinder. His problems are not the injuries or deteriorating skills. Tallinder's problem is that fear has crept inside his game. He plays with such a pronounced fear of getting injured that it effects every aspect of his game. He rushes passes to avoid defenders baring down on him. He spins away from contact in the corners freely giving the puck away. Any physicality that may have been a part of his game is gone. A new contract, new coach or new team can't drive that fear away. This may not only be his last year with the Sabers. It is more than likely his last in the NHL. No team is going to waste cap space on a player who skates scared.

I wouldn't say this is negative at all. In fact, I think it's spot on, including the prognostication that this may actually be his last year in the NHL. With that much negative consensus toward one player in particular, that doesn't bode well for him at all.

However, I think the Sabres are more focused on avoiding the flushing of actual cash than on avoiding the flushing of cap space. Your chart, as powerful and concise as it is, tragically focuses on the cap hit and not salary.

The chart doesn't take into account the Sabres' unwillingness to admit mistakes. Tallinder's cap hit/salary could be a dollar and the Sabres still wouldn't dump him.

Both legitimate arguments. However, I should point out, free, that since both cap and actual salary are bolded, one can't really say that it is focused on cap any more than on salary. ;)

Dont bet any money on Tallinder being on this team much more longer...His clock struck midnite one way or the other...

Dont bet any money on Tallinder being on this team much more longer...His clock struck midnite one way or the other...

When is the last time this front office dumped a player under contract before the trade deadline? If they couldn't bring themselves to dump Max why would you think Tallinder would be treated any differently.

I think DeLuca meant BEFORE the trade deadline(as in October to January), not AT the trade deadline(as in mid-February). I could be wrong though...you never know what DeLuca is "really" thinking. :lol:

Well, technically, they were all done before the deadline. He should have been more specific about how far before he meant. Hours? Days? Weeks? Months?

:nana:

Going back to the buyout move, I always get caught up in the numbers and forget the fact that you can't buy a player out during the season. There are only two points where you can buy a player out and both are during the Summer (around July 1 and after arbitration.) Tallinder cannot be bought out by the Sabres, anymore. They can trade him (if they can find a trade partner) or waive him, but unless he is picked up by another team on the way down, they are on the hook for at least half of his salary. Actually, barring a trade, the best choice may be to waive him and hope he's picked up. On the way down would be nice, but more likely, he would be claimed on reentry waivers, leaving the Sabres on the hook for half of his salary.

Going back to the buyout move, I always get caught up in the numbers and forget the fact that you can't buy a player out during the season. There are only two points where you can buy a player out and both are during the Summer (around July 1 and after arbitration.) Tallinder cannot be bought out by the Sabres, anymore. They can trade him (if they can find a trade partner) or waive him, but unless he is picked up by another team on the way down, they are on the hook for at least half of his salary. Actually, barring a trade, the best choice may be to waive him and hope he's picked up. On the way down would be nice, but more likely, he would be claimed on reentry waivers, leaving the Sabres on the hook for half of his salary.

I was trying to find that buyout period the other day. Searching the CBA for "buyout" didn't help at all.

Archived