Zherdev / Siedenburg To Sabres? Updated

BamBam

Interested? I think we all are, otherwise we'd be checking out the rabbit show schedule for the upcoming county fair. I guess I just cannot share all of your optimism.

Let's say you have a small company - less than 100 employees. You finish each of the last two fiscal years just breaking even. So, rather than bringing in new sales people OR a new CFO, you decide that for the next fiscal year, you will pretty much keep things the same, but exhort your employees to do better. Would you really expect your company to turn a profit without making SOME improvements? I think not. So, with the same coaches and scouts and nearly the same players you are expecting the Sabres to.....what, finish first? I think not. Make the playoffs? Maybe, but likely not. Win the Cup? Please. Watching this year's Sabres will be like watching re-runs of old soap operas; the drama might be there, but we already know how it's going to turn out. ;)

Well, the "interested" part of my post was just a response to the statement that Zherdev was more interesting than anyone on the Sabres' roster.

As for the rest of your post -- I can't really argue with it. It's quite likely you're right. But I do think the Sabres were more than a little bit better last year than they were the year before, and they were in 6th place when Miller and Vanek got hurt, and their new captain (who I think very highly of) was injured several times last year, and I sort of expect real improvement from guys like Pommer, Hecht, Stafford, Butler and Sekera...

So while I'm not expecting a Cup run, I also don't think I know how it's going to turn out.

I just went to hockeybuzz now to read the actual Zherdev rumor to Buffalo... and he's now reporting today that Sabres are closing in on defensman Dennis Seidenberg. No idea where he thinks we'd fit all the d-men.

Man, I sure wish I could get the good kind bud like Hockeybuzz and Eck get!! Where do they come up with this crap?? None of these rumors EVER come true.

It would be nice for the Sabres to actually sign a forward with top six talent. He may actually be top three in Buffalo. Style wise the lack of physical play despite the size gives me concern. Here we are in the first week of August and I would be happy just to know the front office was alive and actually doing something to try to improve the hockey club. Are there many other options available to the Sabres? Are they even considering any other options?

Your kidding right?

Darcy has been Crazy busy.................................. stocking up Portland with a backup goalie, and obtaining a new Andrew Peters, and a guy who disapeared after mysteriously appearing on the Ducks Stanley Cup roster. Oh, and he has also been around to tell us all that pretty much, what we see on the current roster is what we are going to get, but those guys will step it up and improve

Come now. Don't give in to the dark side. There are plenty of good and interesting players on the roster, and plenty that are the kind of guys worth rooting for. Aren't you interested in:

Miller -- rebound from injury; continued maturation into team leader who makes the team play better in front of him?

Rivet -- what can he do for this team if healthy out of the gate?

Buter -- continued progress at both ends towards becoming a legit top-4 defenseman?

Sekera -- continued progress towards becoming a Campbell type?

Montador -- fights; clearing the crease; making opponents pay for running Miller; whether you are right about him being a fringe player as opposed to me being right about him being top-4?

Myers -- can the huge FNG play at this level?

Weber -- can he stay healthy and stick in the NHL?

Pommer -- will he justify that contract and get his production back to, say, 28-48-76?

Vanek -- continued growth? can he start fast and keep it going so he racks up 56 goals or so? Can he be a force down the stretch when it counts?

Roy -- maturity? consistency? leadership?

Stafford -- maturity and consistency? does he make the leap to 27-30-57?

Gaustad -- more consistently a physical presence on every shift? continued growth in leadership?

Kaleta -- can he stay healthy? can he make the leap to regular 3rd-liner?

McCormick -- how often in the lineup? How many minutes? How many fights?

Kennedy, Gerbe -- how much time with the Sabres? How effective at the NHL level?

Paille, MacArthur -- forward progress or stagnation?

I am.

As I said in "Darcy on XM" thread, I would be talking with Zherdev's agent. At minimum, he adds another viable option in the FA market, giving the team some leverage in negotiating with Stafford. At this point, we are so thin on right wing that if a trade can't be made for one, the one of those two really has to be signed, even if just for one year.

Come now. Don't give in to the dark side. There are plenty of good and interesting players on the roster, and plenty that are the kind of guys worth rooting for. Aren't you interested in:

Miller -- rebound from injury; continued maturation into team leader who makes the team play better in front of him?

Rivet -- what can he do for this team if healthy out of the gate?

Buter -- continued progress at both ends towards becoming a legit top-4 defenseman?

Sekera -- continued progress towards becoming a Campbell type?

Montador -- fights; clearing the crease; making opponents pay for running Miller; whether you are right about him being a fringe player as opposed to me being right about him being top-4?

Myers -- can the huge FNG play at this level?

Weber -- can he stay healthy and stick in the NHL?

Pommer -- will he justify that contract and get his production back to, say, 28-48-76?

Vanek -- continued growth? can he start fast and keep it going so he racks up 56 goals or so? Can he be a force down the stretch when it counts?

Roy -- maturity? consistency? leadership?

Stafford -- maturity and consistency? does he make the leap to 27-30-57?

Gaustad -- more consistently a physical presence on every shift? continued growth in leadership?

Kaleta -- can he stay healthy? can he make the leap to regular 3rd-liner?

McCormick -- how often in the lineup? How many minutes? How many fights?

Kennedy, Gerbe -- how much time with the Sabres? How effective at the NHL level?

Paille, MacArthur -- forward progress or stagnation?

I am.

Don't forget Connolly--If he stays healthy, he's a point a game almost guaranteed. Put Vanek on his wing and they could lead the league in goals and assists

I'm a big Connolly fan too, but let's not go overboard. :pirate:

Vanek lead the league in goals last season up until he got injured. Connolly averaged a point per game when he was healthy. I'm not going overboard at all. It's well within reality.

Vanek lead the league in goals last season up until he got injured. Connolly averaged a point per game when he was healthy. I'm not going overboard at all. It's well within reality.

Vanek was not leading the league in goals when he got injured. He was in a minor slump shortly before the injury IIRC.

Vanek was not leading the league in goals when he got injured. He was in a minor slump shortly before the injury IIRC.

I may have to spend some time to total the numbers unless Carp already has a spreadsheet comparing Vanek's production with and without Connolly in the Lineup. It seems that Vanek's production dropped off once Connolly returned.

Don't forget Connolly--If he stays healthy, he's a point a game almost guaranteed. Put Vanek on his wing and they could lead the league in goals and assists

I'm a big Connolly fan too, but let's not go overboard. :pirate:

Vanek was fastest to 20 goals and hit 24 goals on December 13 (game #30.) However, he then scored just 5 in the next 21 games.

Connolly still has a lot to prove to even begin including him in statements like that. A point-per-game is good if he can maintain it for a whole season, but that doesn't get you near leading the league in anything. Don't forget that Roy had over a point-per-game in 2007-08 (81 points in 78 game.)

When you have pairs like Ovechkin (56 goals and 54 assists in 2008-09) and Backstrom (22 goals and 66 assists), who are putting up almost a goal-a-game combined and 2.4 points-per-game combined, not to mention Crosby or Malkin (each put up over 1.3 points per game in 2008-09) and whatever wing that you want, it's going to take a lot more than what we've seen for Connolly/Vanek to lead the league.

Vanek was fastest to 20 goals and hit 24 goals on December 13 (game #30.) However, he then scored just 5 in the next 21 games.

Connolly still has a lot to prove to even begin including him in statements like that. A point-per-game is good if he can maintain it for a whole season, but that doesn't get you near leading the league in anything. Don't forget that Roy had over a point-per-game in 2007-08 (81 points in 78 game.)

When you have pairs like Ovechkin (56 goals and 54 assists in 2008-09) and Backstrom (22 goals and 66 assists), who are putting up almost a goal-a-game combined and 2.4 points-per-game combined, not to mention Crosby or Malkin (each put up over 1.3 points per game in 2008-09) and whatever wing that you want, it's going to take a lot more than what we've seen for Connolly/Vanek to lead the league.

Crosby and Ovechkin are already peaking, Connolly and Vanek have not yet peaked. Do people really think it's going to be the same bumpkins year after year? Screw last season and the season before and screw all the spoiled little brats. P.S Dont tell me what to think about Connolly "before I include him in statements like that". He does not have a lot to prove. The man has proven how good he is over and over.

Crosby and Ovechkin are already peaking, Connolly and Vanek have not yet peaked. Do people really think it's going to be the same bumpkins year after year? Screw last season and the season before and screw all the spoiled little brats. P.S Dont tell me what to think about Connolly "before I include him in statements like that". He does not have a lot to prove. The man has proven how good he is over and over.

why are you so angry?

Archived