Zherdev / Siedenburg To Sabres? Updated

BamBam

Of Course it goes without saying there is not much info here. Your typical X Player to (Fill in your favorite team) type of rumor. But....Its Eck right?

*Zherdev to Buffalo is a "definite possibility," according to a source in NY. Meanwhile, a league source in NY has confirmed that the Caps are trying to make a deal to free up space and grab Zherdev.

Eck's Rumor

Hold on to yourself but Eck is now saying: "*The Sabres are maybe leading the way for Zherdev currently...I am told they are extremely serious." Z to Sabres...Maybe

Also-Things are starting to get interesting in Buffalo, and I am hearing that the Sabres are in on Dennis Seidenberg following Teppo's retirement. I think Seids makes sense in Buffalo. Sabres and Seidenberg

Of Course it goes without saying there is not much info here. Your typical X Player to (Fill in your favorite team) type of rumor. But....Its Eck right?

*Zherdev to Buffalo is a "definite possibility," according to a source in NY. Meanwhile, a league source in NY has confirmed that the Caps are trying to make a deal to free up space and grab Zherdev.

Eck's Rumor

I'm not going to read Eck....but Zherdev is a UFA so it is just a matter of signing him, right? (any team)

It would be nice for the Sabres to actually sign a forward with top six talent. He may actually be top three in Buffalo. Style wise the lack of physical play despite the size gives me concern. Here we are in the first week of August and I would be happy just to know the front office was alive and actually doing something to try to improve the hockey club. Are there many other options available to the Sabres? Are they even considering any other options?

It would be nice for the Sabres to actually sign a forward with top six talent. He may actually be top three in Buffalo. Style wise the lack of physical play despite the size gives me concern. Here we are in the first week of August and I would be happy just to know the front office was alive and actually doing something to try to improve the hockey club. Are there many other options available to the Sabres? Are they even considering any other options?

I don't think Zherdev would be a good use of money for the Sabres. .....

Much better to spend similar money to get a center.

Style wise the lack of physical play despite the size gives me concern.

As does his reputation for not really caring, taking shifts off and not playing defense (though, there is one highlight off him making a great defensive play on another team's breakaway; of course, Campbell wasn't a big hitter based on one highlight either.) I'm sure that you or someone else will say "oh, he should fit right in, then." However, this is exactly why I think you would hate him halfway through the season.

I will say this, though: Sather chose to let him go, so maybe he would be a good choice. Or, maybe I should say that even Sather wouldn't pay him that much, so he really would be a bad choice.

As does his reputation for not really caring, taking shifts off and not playing defense (though, there is one highlight off him making a great defensive play on another team's breakaway; of course, Campbell wasn't a big hitter based on one highlight either.) I'm sure that you or someone else will say "oh, he should fit right in, then." However, this is exactly why I think you would hate him halfway through the season.

I will say this, though: Sather chose to let him go, so maybe he would be a good choice. Or, maybe I should say that even Sather wouldn't pay him that much, so he really would be a bad choice.

He does seem to fit right in. Which makes it a bad choice. I look at all the marginal talent thay makes up almost 2/3's of the forward lineup and have to wonder. What would the Sabres actually have to lose with a move like this?

It really is the dog days when this "move" is being even half-seriously batted around here. Another overpaid, enigmatic Russian forward? That 2 teams have already given up on? There is zero chance of this happening.

He's a more interesting topic than any current player on the roster.

It really is the dog days when this "move" is being even half-seriously batted around here. Another overpaid, enigmatic Russian forward? That 2 teams have already given up on? There is zero chance of this happening.

Well look who is considering it. Not a surprise at all.

He's a more interesting topic than any current player on the roster.

Come now. Don't give in to the dark side. There are plenty of good and interesting players on the roster, and plenty that are the kind of guys worth rooting for. Aren't you interested in:

Miller -- rebound from injury; continued maturation into team leader who makes the team play better in front of him?

Rivet -- what can he do for this team if healthy out of the gate?

Buter -- continued progress at both ends towards becoming a legit top-4 defenseman?

Sekera -- continued progress towards becoming a Campbell type?

Montador -- fights; clearing the crease; making opponents pay for running Miller; whether you are right about him being a fringe player as opposed to me being right about him being top-4?

Myers -- can the huge FNG play at this level?

Weber -- can he stay healthy and stick in the NHL?

Pommer -- will he justify that contract and get his production back to, say, 28-48-76?

Vanek -- continued growth? can he start fast and keep it going so he racks up 56 goals or so? Can he be a force down the stretch when it counts?

Roy -- maturity? consistency? leadership?

Stafford -- maturity and consistency? does he make the leap to 27-30-57?

Gaustad -- more consistently a physical presence on every shift? continued growth in leadership?

Kaleta -- can he stay healthy? can he make the leap to regular 3rd-liner?

McCormick -- how often in the lineup? How many minutes? How many fights?

Kennedy, Gerbe -- how much time with the Sabres? How effective at the NHL level?

Paille, MacArthur -- forward progress or stagnation?

I am.

Come now. Don't give in to the dark side. There are plenty of good and interesting players on the roster, and plenty that are the kind of guys worth rooting for. Aren't you interested in:

Miller -- rebound from injury; continued maturation into team leader who makes the team play better in front of him?

Buter -- continued progress at both ends towards becoming a legit top-4 defenseman?

Montador -- fights; clearing the crease; making opponents pay for running Miller; whether you are right about him being a fringe player as opposed to me being right about him being top-4?

Pommer -- will he justify that contract and get his production back to, say, 28-48-76?

Vanek -- continued growth? can he start fast and keep it going so he racks up 56 goals or so? Can he be a force down the stretch when it counts?

Gaustad -- more consistently a physical presence on every shift? continued growth in leadership?

Kennedy, Gerbe -- how much time with the Sabres? How effective at the NHL level?

I am.

Made into a video with U2 playing for opening night. Sweeeeet.

While i agree, there is little to no chance Zherdev comes to Buffalo because if they were to bring him in, Darcy really must have deals he's ready to pull the trigger on, and that i don't think is the case. Zherdev doesn't hit but i don't think he's lazy. He's played for two of the most boring styles of hockey in the league... Columbus and NYR. Yet he's still high 20's in goals 2 of the last 4 seasons and 23 last year. Under Lindy Ruff's system, he would be near 30 or even surpass 30 for the first time in his career.

People complain about lack of size and toughness, and that is true. Sabres lack it. Sabres also lack snipers and that's what he is. A top 6 forward. Another guy who could be seen to score some big goals.

I'd have no problem signing Zherdev. But like i said, chances of this happening are slim to none and the source is Eklund, nuff' said.

I am.

Excellent summary!

I am.

Interested? I think we all are, otherwise we'd be checking out the rabbit show schedule for the upcoming county fair. I guess I just cannot share all of your optimism.

Let's say you have a small company - less than 100 employees. You finish each of the last two fiscal years just breaking even. So, rather than bringing in new sales people OR a new CFO, you decide that for the next fiscal year, you will pretty much keep things the same, but exhort your employees to do better. Would you really expect your company to turn a profit without making SOME improvements? I think not. So, with the same coaches and scouts and nearly the same players you are expecting the Sabres to.....what, finish first? I think not. Make the playoffs? Maybe, but likely not. Win the Cup? Please. Watching this year's Sabres will be like watching re-runs of old soap operas; the drama might be there, but we already know how it's going to turn out. ;)

Archived