Sabres sign Kaleta today Terms not disclosed

San Diego Sabres Fan

just hearing the 30-second recap on kaleta's signing last night on the local news prompted me to remember his rather lengthy injury-related absence last year ("out with a neck," as the nfl fantasy football types might say (they started that stuff with "out with an ankle" and "out with a knee" -- i always loved the rejoinder that one writer made to that trend when a running back went down, "what's next, out with a rib?")).

anyway, thinking about kaleta's injury, in turn, prompted me to consider the notion -- as many have expressed on this board -- that our resident agitator seems destined for (doomed to) an injury-riddled and -shortened career.

which is a shame; i can't help but enjoy watching him when he plays.

just hearing the 30-second recap on kaleta's signing last night on the local news prompted me to remember his rather lengthy injury-related absence last year ("out with a neck," as the nfl fantasy football types might say (they started that stuff with "out with an ankle" and "out with a knee" -- i always loved the rejoinder that one writer made to that trend when a running back went down, "what's next, out with a rib?")).

anyway, thinking about kaleta's injury, in turn, prompted me to consider the notion -- as many have expressed on this board -- that our resident agitator seems destined for (doomed to) an injury-riddled and -shortened career.

which is a shame; i can't help but enjoy watching him when he plays.

This will be a big year for him. He's going to get a chance to dress for every game and, I'd guess, to compete for a spot on the 3rd line. In order to make good on those opportunities, he's going to have to continue his hitting/agitating game, which is going to result in his continuing to be a marked man. We'll see if he can stay healthy for 75 games or so. I agree it's very questionable.

This will be a big year for him. He's going to get a chance to dress for every game and, I'd guess, to compete for a spot on the 3rd line. In order to make good on those opportunities, he's going to have to continue his hitting/agitating game, which is going to result in his continuing to be a marked man. We'll see if he can stay healthy for 75 games or so. I agree it's very questionable.

with that being said who plays more games this year PK or TC?

with that being said who plays more games this year PK or TC?

Timmy. I think Patty falls victim to some nasty headhunting early on. :( I'm highly concerned that on a team like ours, he's going to have a target painted on him. If the rest of the team steps up and plays with a little more edge, maybe not. But without a physical effort from the whole team, Pat is gonna look like a one man army out there again. And nobody likes the sniper in the tower.

Timmy. I think Patty falls victim to some nasty headhunting early on. :( I'm highly concerned that on a team like ours, he's going to have a target painted on him. If the rest of the team steps up and plays with a little more edge, maybe not. But without a physical effort from the whole team, Pat is gonna look like a one man army out there again. And nobody likes the sniper in the tower.

Wait ... I thought it was the skill guys who were targets because the team was soft ... now the physical guys are also in danger because the skill guys are too soft?

Come on. He will be a target because he runs his mouth and is generally a pain in the a$$. He would be a target on any team. We all want the team to be tougher but let's not create issues out of thin air ... if Mair/Kaleta/Goose/Rivet/Montador need to be protected by Vanek and Roy and Connolly ... I am confused ...

Wait ... I thought it was the skill guys who were targets because the team was soft ... now the physical guys are also in danger because the skill guys are too soft?

Come on. He will be a target because he runs his mouth and is generally a pain in the a$$. He would be a target on any team. We all want the team to be tougher but let's not create issues out of thin air ... if Mair/Kaleta/Goose/Rivet/Montador need to be protected by Vanek and Roy and Connolly ... I am confused ...

I agree. I think the biggest factor in whether Kaleta stays healthy will be whether he develops the same kind of radar that Avery and Neil have developed. Those guys are also marked men, but they know it and they never seem to get blindsided or really wiped out -- even though everyone wants to do so.

I agree. I think the biggest factor in whether Kaleta stays healthy will be whether he develops the same kind of radar that Avery and Neil have developed. Those guys are also marked men, but they know it and they never seem to get blindsided or really wiped out -- even though everyone wants to do so.

Kaleta wants the target. He cherishes that role and that's what make him so effective. I highly doubt he has any misunderstanding about what his job is. I'd love to know how many penalties he drew by annoying people last season. It's a no-brainer signing if he can stay healthy. The price is right and he's that fringe player they can take in or out of the line up as needed, so it gives them some roster flexibility. They don't have to worry about him pouting about playing time.

It's a no-brainer signing if he can stay healthy. The price is right and he's that fringe player they can take in or out of the line up as needed, so it gives them some roster flexibility. They don't have to worry about him pouting about playing time.

Who's arguing that?

No way Kaleta plays 65 games IMO....

Not the way he goes about business......injury, suspension, occasional scratch......

I hope I'm wrong.

No way Kaleta plays 65 games IMO....

Not the way he goes about business......injury, suspension, occasional scratch......

I hope I'm wrong.

Certainly a reasonable prediction, but I think Lindy will give him a shot at the 3rd line, and I think Kaleta has enough hockey skills and IQ to make it to that level (although it would be nice if Paille and/or MacArthur played well enough to force his way in front of Kaleta). As for injury/suspension -- Chris Neil, who I think is a fair comparable in terms of hitting/being a target/getting suspended, has played 82, 79, 82, 68 and 60 games in the past 5 years.

Certainly a reasonable prediction, but I think Lindy will give him a shot at the 3rd line, and I think Kaleta has enough hockey skills and IQ to make it to that level (although it would be nice if Paille and/or MacArthur played well enough to force his way in front of Kaleta). As for injury/suspension -- Chris Neil, who I think is a fair comparable in terms of hitting/being a target/getting suspended, has played 82, 79, 82, 68 and 60 games in the past 5 years.

Nice.

Let me think about that one.

I would think Neil puts up huge PIM numbers compared to Patty.

More fighting in general....

I would check Darcy Tuckers numbers and calculate a drop in line....

the biggest factor in whether Kaleta stays healthy will be whether he develops the same kind of radar that Avery and Neil have developed.

exactly. it's something not unlike the "pocket presence" that elite quarterbacks have.

Chris Neil, who I think is a fair comparable in terms of hitting/being a target/getting suspended, has played 82, 79, 82, 68 and 60 games in the past 5 years.

neil's a different weight class. as x. suggested, we're better off looking at tucker and avery, both of whom are about kaleta's height/weight.

You've sorta got me figured out then. By trying to be as much of a dick as possible, now all the whiners know how silly they sound on this end. I enjoy reading posts where people air their complaints in an organized, logical, and factually supported manner. That's why I love this board. It's mind numbing ranting that gets me all riled up, especially during a stressful offseason where the only thing I want to do is have it be October 3rd.

As far as going off on tangents, I love completely derailing a thread. I just had no idea where to go with what you said. :P

Sorry I figured you were also on two bills drive and the pollitical section under a different moniker as many here are and would understand the Messiah reference to Obama. But it still was a tangent.

LOL... about time I earned my first one.

As for Kaleta, I was amazed at how small both he and Stafford are. I saw them in their street clothes after a game at MSG and a neither are particularly tall and Stafford is skinny too. I am 6'2" 195 and felt huge compared to them. Granted they had been skating all year round and had lost weight toward the end of the year and yet still Kaleta hits like a runaway truck. Wish Stafford would do so.

As for Kaleta, I was amazed at how small both he and Stafford are. I saw them in their street clothes after a game at MSG and a neither are particularly tall and Stafford is skinny too. I am 6'2" 195 and felt huge compared to them. Granted they had been skating all year round and had lost weight toward the end of the year and yet still Kaleta hits like a runaway truck. Wish Stafford would do so.

I would prefer Stafford to score 30 goals.

Nice.

Let me think about that one.

I would think Neil puts up huge PIM numbers compared to Patty.

More fighting in general....

I would check Darcy Tuckers numbers and calculate a drop in line....

neil's a different weight class. as x. suggested, we're better off looking at tucker and avery, both of whom are about kaleta's height/weight.

Good points on body type. At first I thought XB was right about Kaleta being more similar to Tucker, but on further review:

Tucker -- 5'10", 178, age 34

Avery -- 5'9", 185, age 29

Kaleta -- 5'11, 195, age 23

Neil -- 6'1", 209, age 30

So Neil is in a different weight class from Kaleta, but Kaleta is also in a different weight class from Avery and Tucker. And Kaleta is only 23 and presumably can put on a few more pounds with NHL nutrition, weight training, etc.

Games played in full NHL seasons starting at earlier points in career:

Tucker -- 73, 74, 82, 77, 82, 77, 77 -- starting at age 21, which was his 1st full year in the NHL

Avery -- 76, 75, 74, 57, 41 (note the 41-game season was last year, which included the sloppy seconds suspension & being kicked off the Stars) -- starting at age 23, which was his 1st full year in the NHL

Neil -- 72, 68, 82, 79, 82 -- starting at age 23, which was his 1st full year in the NHL

So, I think the instigator types can survive and play plenty of games, but they gotta have that self-preservation radar.

Stafford is like 6'-2" and 213 pounds

Kaleta's 6 foot and 200.

You must've been wearing ur cowboy boots.

You'll find that with just about any hockey player you might encounter. I'm sure it has a lot to do with watching them wearing that body armor all the time, but hockey players in general aren't big people. Maybe it's also because basketball players are ridiculously tall and football players have their fair share of 6'7, 300lb guys.

Archived