Jay Mckee to the Pens....

iceryche

:censored: Consider the Pens a favorite again this year for a repeat. Really Darcy, are you just gonna sit back and do nothing to improve this team......

ok, can we all just get a fricken grip? Jay McKee was so valuable that he signed for $800k. That is what Adam Mair makes. Every GM in the league had the chance to sign him and all he got was $800k. In a market full of stupid deals, this is all he could get. How this makes the Pens a favorite is beyond me.

:censored: Consider the Pens a favorite again this year for a repeat. Really Darcy, are you just gonna sit back and do nothing to improve this team......

hey, I have an idea. It's called "we're already discussing this in another thread." You know, that pinned one, right there at the top, that says Free Agency. Yeah that one, go in there and complain. Not that you wont get flamed anyways for being an uneducated whiner.

edit: oh, I have noticed it is no longer pinned. But you know, it's like...right there. Point still stands.

ok, can we all just get a fricken grip? Jay McKee was so valuable that he signed for $800k. That is what Adam Mair makes. Every GM in the league had the chance to sign him and all he got was $800k. In a market full of stupid deals, this is all he could get. How this makes the Pens a favorite is beyond me.

They're already a favorite as defending champion. He probably gets a bonus if they win the cup again.

This really irritates me that Regier is doing little to nothing to improve this team. Having McKee back would have given the Sabres another veteran presence on the blue line, and he would have been able to teach the younger defensemen shot blocking skills. Craig Ludwig was very effective in his later years with Dallas as a player and a tutor. McKee could have done the same here. After watching free agent after free agent leave this team the past few years, it would have been nice to do something for the fans and bring a favorite back to Buffalo. Our front office sucks beyond belief.

Has there even been a Darcy Regier sighting or is he on holiday in England catching Wimbledon tennis and the British Open?

They're already a favorite as defending champion. He probably gets a bonus if they win the cup again.

This really irritates me that Regier is doing little to nothing to improve this team. Having McKee back would have given the Sabres another veteran presence on the blue line, and he would have been able to teach the younger defensemen shot blocking skills. Craig Ludwig was very effective in his later years with Dallas as a player and a tutor. McKee could have done the same here. After watching free agent after free agent leave this team the past few years, it would have been nice to do something for the fans and bring a favorite back to Buffalo. Our front office sucks beyond belief.

Has there even been a Darcy Regier sighting or is he on holiday in England catching Wimbledon tennis and the British Open?

He was, in fact, just at the rookie camp, watching the scrimmage with Lindy.

He was, in fact, just at the rookie camp, watching the scrimmage with Lindy.

I would have felt better if he was on vacation.

In essence, management is hoping the rookies progress very quickly and have no need for any more FA's. Awesome. Here's to another 9th or 10th place finish.

I would have felt better if he was on vacation.

In essence, management is hoping the rookies progress very quickly and have no need for any more FA's. Awesome. Here's to another 9th or 10th place finish.

and you know for a fact that he didn't call Jay and he said no thanks? Or maybe because there is an issue of Myers finding a spot, let alone Jay?

Incentive clauses are not allowed in the CBA. The only bonus he'll earn is if he plays well enough to land another contract somewhere in the league the following year.

I have to agree with you SDS about Mckee. He is on the downside of his career and really didn't do much in St Louis. I really don't see how he can put any team over the top. HOWEVER... Darcy really needs to look at acquiring several veteran wingers or centerman before summers end. A guy like Tyler Kennedy was HUGE for Pitt in the playoffs. Not saying to get him, but a player like him. I really hope for the Sabres sake Darcy is working out some deals to trade the dead weight and get players who've been around and want to win. Get some new blood in there on offense. OK, enough of my rant.

Because of McKee? Really?

No, because they are already the Stanley Cup champs, have a bunch more talent and a higher work ethic than the Sabres AND they just added another veteran defenseman who already proved his worth to the Sabres a while back. At some point, maybe McKee could replace James Patrick behind the bench....

No, because they are already the Stanley Cup champs, have a bunch more talent and a higher work ethic than the Sabres AND they just added another veteran defenseman who already proved his worth to the Sabres a while back. At some point, maybe McKee could replace James Patrick behind the bench....

I was responding to the OP regarding McKee. He seemed to imply the Pens are favorites to repeat because they signed McKee. But thank you for the information on the Pens. I did not realize any of those things you pointed out. <_<

So why would McKee be a better D-coach than Patrick?

As other people have mentioned, the Sabres already have enough (or even too many) D-men. Perhaps they should get rid of one or two, but we need a taker first. If McKee is getting 800k, how many teams do you figure want Tallinder at $3M+?

McKee is an EXCELLENT pick up for the Pens.

I actually agree that the Pens have a decent shot at back to back cups. The Guerin and McKee signing give them a great deal of veteran depth and leadership.

Its unfortunate for Buffalo he signed with the Pens; this constitutes a huge wasted opportunity for the Sabres.

The 800k deal means that he isn't expected by any GM to be a star player next year.

But it also means that we wouldn't have been out much if we made McKee our 7th defenseman this year.

Or he took a cheap deal because he knew he doesn't have many more shots at the cup left in him.

and you know for a fact that he didn't call Jay and he said no thanks? Or maybe because there is an issue of Myers finding a spot, let alone Jay?

Isn't that more damning of this front office than anything anyone else has posted? What is worse. Having a front office that can't recognize the flaws of this roster and refuse to actively pursue improving it or having a front office that has destroyed the reputation of this team that they can't even sign quality players that used to play for them?

There is a reason that Regier may be trying to trade to bring in players. Quality players wouldn't come here unless forced to by a contract.

Isn't that more damning of this front office than anything anyone else has posted? What is worse. Having a front office that can't recognize the flaws of this roster and refuse to actively pursue improving it or having a front office that has destroyed the reputation of this team that they can't even sign quality players that used to play for them?

There is a reason that Regier may be trying to trade to bring in players. Quality players wouldn't come here unless forced to by a contract.

What exactly has this front office destroyed? Have the Sabres EVER brought in a big-name free agent, under any GM?

You are right that DR generally has to trade to bring in quality players, but I suspect the reasons are not DR and LQ. They are (i) they don't have room in the budget to pay what it costs to bring them in as free agents and (ii) Buffalo is an undesirable city compared with just about every other alternative in the NHL.

What exactly has this front office destroyed? Have the Sabres EVER brought in a big-name free agent, under any GM?

You are right that DR generally has to trade to bring in quality players, but I suspect the reasons are not DR and LQ. They are (i) they don't have room in the budget to pay what it costs to bring them in as free agents and (ii) Buffalo is an undesirable city compared with just about every other alternative in the NHL.

FWIW, I got your back on this issue...

Incentive clauses are not allowed in the CBA.

They are if you are a rookie, old (over 35) or spent the last year of your contract mostly on IR (100+ days), none of which Jay qualifies for. But, I'm sure that you already knew that. ;)

They are if you are a rookie, old (over 35) or spent the last year of your contract mostly on IR (100+ days), none of which Jay qualifies for. But, I'm sure that you already knew that. ;)

Nerd fight!

"Room in the budget" is the biggest load of crap spewed on this board. The Sabres are going into this season with about a $50 million dollar budget. Not to far off from the NHL cap. Let's not blame the budget because Regier has completely mishandled the budget he was allotted.

And let's also not blame the City or region. If you have a well run organization it doesn't matter what city it is in. Buffalo may not be near the top of the list for US cities, it sure as hell is at the top of NHL cities.

Archived