Jay Mckee to the Pens....

iceryche

hey, I have an idea. It's called "we're already discussing this in another thread." You know, that pinned one, right there at the top, that says Free Agency. Yeah that one, go in there and complain. Not that you wont get flamed anyways for being an uneducated whiner.

edit: oh, I have noticed it is no longer pinned. But you know, it's like...right there. Point still stands.

You and your freakin rules dfork...just lighten up.

Being aggressive in free agency is exactly what screwed TB up last year. They made a bunch of dumb moves for the sake of chasing headlines and came nowhere close to creating a viable team. Arguably the same was true of Dallas' moves last year, esp. bringing in Avery, although to be fair losing Morrow was probably the biggest reason for their downfall.

I agree that the Hecht contract was a bad move and is fairly laid at Darcy's feet. However, you seem determined to hold him accountable not only for Grier, Drury and Briere, but for the team's failure to replace them in free agency. But if DR's bosses were unwilling to pay to keep those guys, why on earth would they be willing to pay for replacements?

And, for the record, I've not said that ownership is low-balling DR. What I have said is that when the team's payroll is in the bottom 3rd of the NHL -- and that doesn't even take into account the extra dollars the wealthier teams are able to spend by buyouts and sending guys to the minors -- a team has much less margin for error. When DR makes mistakes, as he seems to have done with Hecht and Pommer (and it's probably fair to blame him for Tallinder as well), it's more difficult for the Sabres to recover than it is for Philly or the Rangers. However, those mistakes weren't nearly as crippling as the ones foisted on him from above, which were much harder to recover from.

They were willing to pay Drury and Grier. When they left why weren't they replaced?

I'm not here to say that TG or OSPs is a great owner. He's a absentee owner. It would be nice if he paid as close attention to free agent NHL players as he does to free agent state senators. There is no arguing that the Sabres do not have the full spectrum of options when it comes to eating bad contracts. That's the job. Just because the job may have limitations similar positions in the NHL don't it doesn't mean you settle for lessor results. The Sabres had $50 million to spend in 2008 and will have $50 to spend in 2009. That $50 mil and how it was spent falls directly on Regier. Regier doesn't have a owner that is going to cover his mistakes by buying out bad contracts. It's doesn't excuse Regier. Also, it's not like we are talking 1 or 2 bad contracts. Regier is responsible for as many as 5 or 6 really bad contracts depending on who want to count on that list. Is it reasonable for fans to expect any owner to buyout $15-20 million in bad contracts?

I'm not going to deny Regier works with a small margin or error. Simply put, that is the job. Regier doesn't appear to be up to the task. Except for being handed the best goalie to ever play and catching lighting in a bottle coming out of the lockout the Regier resume is lackluster. It's time for a change. Let's see if someone can get this to work here in Buffalo.

To the Tampa and Dallas point, not to go around and around, at least they were interesting. Their fans had things to talk about. Look at this board over the past two years. The conversations are pretty much the same. We could probably take our July 13th 2008 posts, change a name or two, and use them today. In the world of professional sports the only thing worse than losing is losing while being incredibly boring. The Sabres and Regier are guilty of being boring while losing.

They were willing to pay Drury and Grier. When they left why weren't they replaced?

I'm not here to say that TG or OSPs is a great owner. He's a absentee owner. It would be nice if he paid as close attention to free agent NHL players as he does to free agent state senators. There is no arguing that the Sabres do not have the full spectrum of options when it comes to eating bad contracts. That's the job. Just because the job may have limitations similar positions in the NHL don't it doesn't mean you settle for lessor results. The Sabres had $50 million to spend in 2008 and will have $50 to spend in 2009. That $50 mil and how it was spent falls directly on Regier. Regier doesn't have a owner that is going to cover his mistakes by buying out bad contracts. It's doesn't excuse Regier. Also, it's not like we are talking 1 or 2 bad contracts. Regier is responsible for as many as 5 or 6 really bad contracts depending on who want to count on that list. Is it reasonable for fans to expect any owner to buyout $15-20 million in bad contracts?

I'm not going to deny Regier works with a small margin or error. Simply put, that is the job. Regier doesn't appear to be up to the task. Except for being handed the best goalie to ever play and catching lighting in a bottle coming out of the lockout the Regier resume is lackluster. It's time for a change. Let's see if someone can get this to work here in Buffalo.

To the Tampa and Dallas point, not to go around and around, at least they were interesting. Their fans had things to talk about. Look at this board over the past two years. The conversations are pretty much the same. We could probably take our July 13th 2008 posts, change a name or two, and use them today. In the world of professional sports the only thing worse than losing is losing while being incredibly boring. The Sabres and Regier are guilty of being boring while losing.

So you are demanding more than a good team.....you need an interesting off-season as well?

I think it is Confucian Curse.....may the heavens preserve us from interesting off-seasons.

Last Year -

Tampa was interesting

New York Rangers were interesting

this year

New York Rangers - Interesting

Canadiens - Interesting

We'll check their records a few months from now.

Edit: not really criticizing you here - but there is something relentlessly tiring about waiting for a pot to boil when it isn't on the fire.....the compass is going to point north all the time, unless there is a magnetic storm.

So you are demanding more than a good team.....you need an interesting off-season as well?

I think it is Confucian Curse.....may the heavens preserve us from interesting off-seasons.

Last Year -

Tampa was interesting

this year

Canadiens - Interesting

The Rangers made the playoffs so any point you thought you were making is gone, IMO.

Are you saying the Sabres are a good team? If so, we have far differing opinions on that subject. The point I thought was pretty clear. The Sabres are a bad team. Two consecutive 10th place finishes are fact. The only thing worse than being a bad team is being boring while being a bad team. It's why the Bills signed TO. As little faith as I do have in the Bills front office they seem to at least realize how devastating being irrelevant can be for a professional sports franchise. The Sabres are on the verge of irrelevance. One more event-less off season followed by a third non playoff year and the Sabres might as well be the Atlanta Thrashers on the NHL landscape.

The Rangers made the playoffs so any point you thought you were making is gone, IMO.

Are you saying the Sabres are a good team? If so, we have far differing opinions on that subject. The point I thought was pretty clear. The Sabres are a bad team. Two consecutive 10th place finishes are fact. The only thing worse than being a bad team is being boring while being a bad team. It's why the Bills signed TO. As little faith as I do have in the Bills front office they seem to at least realize how devastating being irrelevant can be for a professional sports franchise. The Sabres are on the verge of irrelevance. One more event-less off season followed by a third non playoff year and the Sabres might as well be the Atlanta Thrashers on the NHL landscape.

Please check edit.

But I would argue that the Rangers were a much better team the year before.

Last Year -

Tampa was interesting

this year

Canadiens - Interesting

Edit: not really criticizing you here - but there is something relentlessly tiring about waiting for a pot to boil when it isn't on the fire.....the compass is going to point north all the time, unless there is a magnetic storm.

I just want to know that someone besides the fans cares.

the compass is going to point north all the time

Actually, there is some evidence to suggest that we are in process of a magnetic reversal, in which the Earth's magnetic poles essentially flip. This has occurred many, many times during Earth's history at seemingly random (or, at least, not yet explainable; something to do with movement within the iron core of the planet) intervals, ranging from hundreds of thousands to millions of years between occurrences. Evidence suggests that the last flip was nearly 800,000 years ago and it will likely be thousands (possibly 10's or 100's of thousands) of years before the flip is complete. Regardless of the actual timing, compasses (should any still exist) will eventually point South. Actually, in the middle of the flip, it may point in many different directions as the Earth may temporarily stop being a dipole, instead having multiple smaller poles.

But I digress ... :death:

Actually, there is some evidence to suggest that we are in process of a magnetic reversal, in which the Earth's magnetic poles essentially flip. This has occurred many, many times during Earth's history at seemingly random (or, at least, not yet explainable; something to do with movement within the iron core of the planet) intervals, ranging from hundreds of thousands to millions of years between occurrences. Evidence suggests that the last flip was nearly 800,000 years ago and it will likely be thousands (possibly 10's or 100's of thousands) of years before the flip is complete. Regardless of the actual timing, compasses (should any still exist) will eventually point South. Actually, in the middle of the flip, it may point in many different directions as the Earth may temporarily stop being a dipole, instead having multiple smaller poles.

So if Iowa becomes a magnetic pole....the geese probably stop shitting in my yard because they'll winter in Mexico.

I wonder if the Sabres will have a cup by then.

Hey I was stoned and watched that too!

Regier plays a slow hand....usually he weathers through the volatile days on the NY stock exchange....

and then looks for shrewd trades on the AMEX.

I'm starting to sound like Chauncey Gardener here.

When was the last time this happened? The Drury trade?

Also, a 2nd-rounder for Rivet was a good trade.

And I would have wanted no part of Tampa's offseason last year. Most hockey observers thought -- correctly -- that the team had been taken over by a bunch of bozos.

Wasn't that 2 second rounders? And they lost Steve Bernier. I'm not sure if they got real value there.

Lydman was back in 2006? It's the 2009-10 season. That's a long time between.

Wasn't that 2 second rounders? And they lost Steve Bernier. I'm not sure if they got real value there.

He could have re-signed Kalinin.

The popular choice here was to sign Jason Smith.

My opinion - great deal.

You and your freakin rules dfork...just lighten up.

No. Not dork rules. Rules to keep this place from being a sh*thole.

Because this place turns into a cesspool of douchebaggery come free agency when every schmuck decides he needs to start a new thread ranting about something we're already talking about three threads down. This board is typically a clutter free place where a little intelligence and a little reading is expected. If you're too lazy/dumb to read the threads through on the first page before you go ahead and make your own, all you're doing is being obnoxiously redundant.

Sorry but I view this place as having higher standards than that and I will not hesitate to ridicule some 4 post count schlub for pissing on it.

I think we traded a second in 2010 for a seventh round 2010 pick, plus a second in 09 for Rivet.

We got the 2nd round 09 pick back for Kotalik.

Which we gave to Toronto for Moore.

No. Not dork rules. Rules to keep this place from being a sh*thole.

Because this place turns into a cesspool of douchebaggery come free agency when every schmuck decides he needs to start a new thread ranting about something we're already talking about three threads down. This board is typically a clutter free place where a little intelligence and a little reading is expected. If you're too lazy/dumb to read the threads through on the first page before you go ahead and make your own, all you're doing is being obnoxiously redundant.

Sorry but I view this place as having higher standards than that and I will not hesitate to ridicule some 4 post count schlub for pissing on it.

I'll agree with you, but are your cheerios dried out yet?

I think we traded a second in 2010 for a seventh round 2010 pick, plus a second in 09 for Rivet.

We got the 2nd round 09 pick back for Kotalik.

Which we gave to Toronto for Moore.

The movement of the 2009/2010 2nd round picks:

Sabres: Steve Bernier's rights (RFA)

Vancouver: 2009 3rd (LA's, 66th overall), 2010 2nd (Vancouver's)

Sabres: 2009 2nd (Sabres, 43rd overall), 2010 2nd (Sabres)

San Jose: Craig Rivet (3 yr, $3.5 million per contract), 2010 7th (San Jose's)

Sabres: Ales Kotalik (2 months, then UFA)

Edmonton: 2009 2nd (Carolina's, 58th overall)

Sabres: 2009 2nd (Carolina's, 58th overall)

Toronto: Dominic Moore (2 months, then UFA)

Net result: Our 2009 and 2010 2nds, Bernier's RFA rights and two months of Kotalik went out, while LA's 2009 3rd, Vancouver's 2010 2nd, San Jose's 2010 7th, two months of Dominic Moore and three years of Craig Rivet came back.

Archived