Our Division Did NOT Get Much Better

CallawaySabres

Ottawa is not going to be any better especially when Heatley is gone

Boston will still be good but never scared me to begin with

Toronto has a shot in a few years but certainly not making a run in 2009

and Montreal is going to be the smallest team in the league - skilled yes, built to win - NO.

Sabres are not going to be pushed around this year and I have no doubt that they make the playoffs. To tell you the truth, I'll save the Cup talk for a year or 2 as long as they are in the mix of 1-8 which I know they will be.

Jersey and Carolina are missing the playoffs this year - count on it

Montreal and the Rangers will be floating around 8 all year as well

and Montreal is going to be the smallest team in the league - skilled yes, built to win - NO.

Sabres are not going to be pushed around this year and I have no doubt that they make the playoffs. To tell you the truth, I'll save the Cup talk for a year or 2 as long as they are in the mix of 1-8 which I know they will be.

Yep, our division weakening puts us in a great spot to make the playoffs but get beaten by a real team. Just what I've always wanted.

Yep, our division weakening puts us in a great spot to make the playoffs but get beaten by a real team. Just what I've always wanted.

If you are only going to enjoy the hockey in this town when they are a Cup contender, you are following the wrong team. It's going to take time, luck and you might as well enjoy it until it happens - it's the only team we got...................

I like the way you think and agree with your your first 4 team assessments.

I am not as positive about the other teams prognosis for the devils and canes. I know they lost some good players but I am not familar with what they have in pipeline and whether they have the build from within materials.

Still when it's all said and done I'm still a Sabre fan and lean to the glass is half full philosphy... :thumbsup:

If you are only going to enjoy the hockey in this town when they are a Cup contender, you are following the wrong team. It's going to take time, luck and you might as well enjoy it until it happens - it's the only team we got...................

I never said I wouldn't enjoy beating up on our division this year, I'm just doubtful we're a contender beyond that. Is it so wrong of me to want my team to make the playoffs and have a chance?

I never said I wouldn't enjoy beating up on our division this year, I'm just doubtful we're a contender beyond that. Is it so wrong of me to want my team to make the playoffs and have a chance?

Not at all - and I hope that we become a contender sooner rather than later. We have a goaltender than CAN be special and once you are in the playoffs, we all know where that can take us. This is and always has been Miller's team - let's ride it as hard as we can!

Happy 4th to ALL!!!

i agree with most of the points you made

the one contention i have is with you saying that we are not going to get pushed around this year - how do you figure? adding Montador alone is not going to flip the switch. Kassian will probably not even play at NHL level this year. Myers is still untested, and I fear if we try to rush him faster than we did with Butler the pressure will bring him down, not everyone can be like Phaneuf

that being said, i would love for the team to be meaner and nastier, even if it means getting in a martial arts coach to work with the team!

i agree with most of the points you made

the one contention i have is with you saying that we are not going to get pushed around this year - how do you figure? adding Montador alone is not going to flip the switch. Kassian will probably not even play at NHL level this year. Myers is still untested, and I fear if we try to rush him faster than we did with Butler the pressure will bring him down, not everyone can be like Phaneuf

that being said, i would love for the team to be meaner and nastier, even if it means getting in a martial arts coach to work with the team!

I think you are going to see a minimum of 2 more new faces in this lineup that will bring the heat this year. FA is probably over but trades are what you will likely see.

The way the NHL is now division talk is irrelevant. Here's the question. Are we closer to catching Pittsburgh now or not. The reality is that the Penguins, barring injury, are going to own the league (at least the conference) for a couple years now. Crosby and Malkin are hitting their primes, Fluery has improved, they are getting a new building so will have more money and they have shown the moxie to make a necessary move (acquiring Hossa, and Guerin, firing Therien after a cup run etc.) They are the team to beat now and every move we make should be countering them, not the division. If you're good enough to beat the Pens the division will take care of it itself.

FFIW our best two playoff teams recently were both 7 seeds. The team that ran away with the division got hammered in the ECF by a division opponent. The 7 seed the year before hammered the division champ.

I think the Capitals have a great team, also. If their goaltending continues to stay very good they can beat the Pens. I like that they added Knuble

The way the NHL is now division talk is irrelevant. Here's the question. Are we closer to catching Pittsburgh now or not. The reality is that the Penguins, barring injury, are going to own the league (at least the conference) for a couple years now. Crosby and Malkin are hitting their primes, Fluery has improved, they are getting a new building so will have more money and they have shown the moxie to make a necessary move (acquiring Hossa, and Guerin, firing Therien after a cup run etc.) They are the team to beat now and every move we make should be countering them, not the division. If you're good enough to beat the Pens the division will take care of it itself.

FFIW our best two playoff teams recently were both 7 seeds. The team that ran away with the division got hammered in the ECF by a division opponent. The 7 seed the year before hammered the division champ.

Good point. Who cares about the division? A second good point about the nature of the NHL playoffs. Who cares about the top seed?

Good point. Who cares about the division? A second good point about the nature of the NHL playoffs. Who cares about the top seed?

Philly??? If they hadn't phoned in the last game of the season, they would have finished ahead of Pittsburgh and hosted Game 7. Home ice matters more often than not unless you are Buffalo....

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that Falstaff.

Though I don't dispute the mine of talent and skill collected now in Pittsburgh, I don't think that automatically qualifies them as inherently better than everyone else.

What I saw last year, was that a particular teams style of play and their ability to DICTATE that style or impose their will on the other team (or expose the gaps in the other team) make a much greater difference that any other.

Question: why is it, year after year, no matter what the skill level or lack thereof on the Sabres roster, they just can't seem to get past the Ottawa Senators?

Question: And why is it, that after last season the Bruins ripped up the league, but the lowly Sabres beat them every time?

I would argue that is the Sabres style of play that accounts for that riddle. Ottawa's style causes the Sabres fits, but the Bruins have gaps that the Sabres can expose.

It would also seem that the Sabres style of play beats out alot of skilled (and often bigger) teams out West and has for a few years now.

So, I wouldn't go and hand Sid the Kid (Barf!!) and his cronies the keys to the kingdom just yet.

How a team matches up with another is more important than just skill.

They play more games within the division than they do against teams like Pittsburgh and Washington.

Sabres are not going to be pushed around this year and I have no doubt that they make the playoffs.

I am impressed by your optimism, but unimpressed by your reasoning (lack of).

Why do you conclude the Sabres are not going to be pushed around? The team is almost the same as last year with Spacek and Montador changing places. One guy isn't going to make a significant difference.

In addition, the Sabres may lose Andrew Peters.

What is the area of greatest improvement? At this point, a fading memory of the recent disappointing season is the only positive I see.

The draft went in the direction I had hoped for - bigger, tougher players, but these guys won't be ready for a couple years.

The offseason is early and there may come beneficial changes, but right now there is no evidence of any significant improvement. Tim Connolly just pulled a muscle reading this post.

You like the way things have turned out? The 10th place Sabres make no significant moves and you somehow think the Sabres are now a playoff contender? I know it's June but this is way to Pollyanna for even for this time a year.

Ottawa? The Sabres better hope the Sens don't resolve their issues in goal.

Boston? Are just better than the Sabres.

Toronto? With the size and toughness Burke is adding to the Leafs? The Sabres wont be trying to beat the Leafs this season. They will be trying to survive. Burke is working free agency this year in a way Regier could only dream of.

Montreal? They have done what the Sabres don't have the stones to do. Admit what they built isn't working and get it fixed.

Jersey and Carolina? Not unless Brodeur retires and Carolna changes divisions will they be missing the playoffs.

There are two, maybe three at most, playoffs spots available for the Sabres. Sitting back and watching the NHL world go by is not the way to get this team into the playoffs. It is a good way to remain 10th which appears at this point to be where the Sabres are content to remain.

You like the way things have turned out? The 10th place Sabres make no significant moves and you somehow think the Sabres are now a playoff contender? I know it's June but this is way to Pollyanna for even for this time a year.

Ottawa? The Sabres better hope the Sens don't resolve their issues in goal.

Boston? Are just better than the Sabres.

Toronto? With the size and toughness Burke is adding to the Leafs? The Sabres wont be trying to beat the Leafs this season. They will be trying to survive. Burke is working free agency this year in a way Regier could only dream of.

Montreal? They have done what the Sabres don't have the stones to do. Admit what they built isn't working and get it fixed.

Jersey and Carolina? Not unless Brodeur retires and Carolna changes divisions will they be missing the playoffs.

There are two, maybe three at most, playoffs spots available for the Sabres. Sitting back and watching the NHL world go by is not the way to get this team into the playoffs. It is a good way to remain 10th which appears at this point to be where the Sabres are content to remain.

The whole point of this is to show that the Sabres are moving in a new direction. Yes, they will be battling for an 8 spot again but at least the shape of this team is changing. There will be a few more changes before the season starts and I am willing to bet that they are trying to trade some of these players that have been the reason for their decline. Why would anyone want a player like Hecht or Tallinder when they don't even succeed her? It will take time and there is no use sulking over what has transpired in the past

Try being a Leafs fan - those poor people have been put through hell with all the money that goes through the organization.

I start every October with the same optimism as the previous October. I look at the lineup and see the potential.

Vanek - 40 goals

Pominville - 30 goals

Roy - 30 goals

Connolly - 20 Goals

Moore - 20 goals

Hecht - 20 goals

Stafford - 20 goals

You get a team with 6 twenty goal scorers on it with a decent goalie, you should make the playoffs.

What I'm hoping for is a center that can win faceoffs. Get that and I think we can realistically compete for playoff spots 4-8.

The whole point of this is to show that the Sabres are moving in a new direction. Yes, they will be battling for an 8 spot again but at least the shape of this team is changing. There will be a few more changes before the season starts and I am willing to bet that they are trying to trade some of these players that have been the reason for their decline. Why would anyone want a player like Hecht or Tallinder when they don't even succeed her? It will take time and there is no use sulking over what has transpired in the past

Try being a Leafs fan - those poor people have been put through hell with all the money that goes through the organization.

One draft and one low level free agent signing is not a sign of a direction shift for this organization. Unless they follow those moves with significant changes they will be seen as token gestures, nothing more.

I am as tired about hearing what the Sabres might be doing as I am hearing about Tim Connolly and his point production in imaginary games players. The front office is going to be judged on what they actually do. Not their intentions or what they tried to do. What gets done is all that counts and right now they haven't made any progress in getting this team closer to a playoff spot. Losing their best defenseman and picking up a 6th or 7th defenseman doesn't make this team better or closes the gap between the Sabres and the other teams in the East one bit.

One draft and one low level free agent signing is not a sign of a direction shift for this organization. Unless they follow those moves with significant changes they will be seen as token gestures, nothing more.

I am as tired about hearing what the Sabres might be doing as I am hearing about Tim Connolly and his point production in imaginary games players. The front office is going to be judged on what they actually do. Not their intentions or what they tried to do. What gets done is all that counts and right now they haven't made any progress in getting this team closer to a playoff spot. Losing their best defenseman and picking up a 6th or 7th defenseman doesn't make this team better or closes the gap between the Sabres and the other teams in the East one bit.

let's just see how this organization looks in October before we kill them. Maybe I am blind but there is talent on this team and I am willing to wait it out over the next few months.

Bottom line - they blew it on Briere, Drury and the Dumonts of that team. They really really blew it - no denying that. Then they panicked and signed the wrong players because they feared the same thing was going to happen. They know it, we know it and hopefully they are working to get support players to compliment the skill on this team (yes, there is some). This is a do or die season (not for the Cup) but to prove their plan is working. I think that some are going to be pleasantly surprised when it is all said and done. Don't forget, right before Vanek got injured, he was turning into an All Star. He returned early and never got that back. It WILL be back this year.

Let's see

NJ loses Madden and Gionta

Toronto signs Orr and Komiserik -

Washington signs Knuble - net gain (they also get a hard K out of Kn....go figure) [

Florida loses Boumester/Skraskins/Anderson signs Clemmensen/Reinpreich

NY Rangers Lose Antropov/Gomez/Orr sign Gaborik/Brashear

Philly lose Biron/Knuble/Lupal/Sbisa get Boucher/Emery/Laperriere/Pronger

Ottawa - nothing

Boston - get Begin = Nothing

Montreal - gets Camalleri, Spacek, Gomez, Gionta, Gil, and lose Koivu, Kovalev, Komiserik, Shneider etc although their UFA's are still in play.

Atlanta get Antropov

Buffalo - Montador in spacek out.

Carolina - nothing

Tampa - Ohlund, Walker

Pittsburgh loses Gil, Scuderi, Garon

Islanders - sign Roloson

Pronger in Philly is a huge addition....but other than that....I don't see how anyone in the division has made a significant upgrade, although the Knuble signing in Washinton I really like.

Who got better? Philly clearly....

Boston, Carolina, Ottawa, Pitt, Florida, NJ have stayed out of the market or have signed their own.

Chiarello, Rutherford, Murray, Shero, Lamiarello are all cheap bastards. :beer:

And good hockey men, cheap bastards and good hockey men.

let's just see how this organization looks in October before we kill them. Maybe I am blind but there is talent on this team and I am willing to wait it out over the next few months.

Bottom line - they blew it on Briere, Drury and the Dumonts of that team. They really really blew it - no denying that. Then they panicked and signed the wrong players because they feared the same thing was going to happen. They know it, we know it and hopefully they are working to get support players to compliment the skill on this team (yes, there is some). This is a do or die season (not for the Cup) but to prove their plan is working. I think that some are going to be pleasantly surprised when it is all said and done. Don't forget, right before Vanek got injured, he was turning into an All Star. He returned early and never got that back. It WILL be back this year.

Right before Vanek got injured, he had turned into an All-Star enigma. He scored 24 times in the first 30 games of the season. In the next 24 games before he got hurt, he scored only eight goals. Now, no one expected him to score 60 -- well, some on this board did -- but the dropoff was pretty dramatic. I still maintain Vanek's "slump" coincided with Ruff deciding to cut his ice time. Remember Lindy started the season saying he wanted to turn Vanek into the league's top two-way forward, then pulled the rug, inexplicably, on his shorthanded ice time.

This is just one of the misconceptions that will probably live on about 08-09. The other is that the Sabres were fine and heading for a playoff berth before Miller got hurt. The decline in their game started a month before Miller went down. They started January on fire, going 7-2. The next month they couldn't maintain that momentum, winning one and losing one (6-6-1) before the fateful meeting with Gomez and the Rangers.

I fail to see where MTL did not improve. I would have loved to get Cammilari in Buffalo. Darcy better get some forward vet help this suumer or there will be hell to pay.

Montreal is the new New York Rangers. There will be zero chemistry. They got SMALLER while others are getting bigger.

I don't think Montreal is better than they were. Just different.

Archived