Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

And the power play was extremely good this past year.

The surprise was that the PK wasn't.

If you want to cherry pick seasons in a discussion of Ruff's career offensive (stress the second syllable, please) record, fine. In 05-06, his power play was third. It was the first time in his head coaching career his power play cracked the Top 17.

Circular logic anyone?

I think money motivates most professional athletes, most people period. What drives salaries for offensive players? Stats. Guys around the league see a defensive-minded coach for life in Lindy who is far from an offensive mind. His teams and power plays routinely go on months-long scoring droughts (hell, sometimes full seasons), and he is clueless as to what to do. Although it's a very strange example for me to bring up, given his payday from '07, other players see how an offensively gifted player like Thomas Vanek, a potential superstar, lands in Ruff's lap, and Ruff says he wants to turn him into a two-way player and keeps him chained to the bench. We're not the only ones who see the miserable expression on Vanek's face.

Not every available free agent is a 30-40 goal scorer.

None of us will really ever know the 100% truth. I just hope this team isn't losing out on potential free agents because of the incompetence of the front office coming back to haunt this franchise. That would only mean this franchise is further behind the eight ball than any of use could imagine.

Right. It's never Ruff, his attitude, practices, system, in-game adjustments, line combinations...

I have some complaints.....mostly how he handles goaltenders.

But the PP has been good.

I generally like his in-game choices. No complaints there.

The guy is a stickler for positional play.....there are times I would like to see more hitting

or freewheeling .....but generally with the post lockout rosters he has had an active defense with

more pinches than most teams. When he had the team trapping this past year more than others

it surprised some teams at first, but I can't say I ever thought he mishandled the team.

This past year they gave up too many leads. They really lacked a shut-down line and lost

too many faceoffs in the defensive zone.

Is it bad coaching when your best option is to double shift Roy on the first line and checking line?

If it is, he's a bad coach.

I have some complaints.....mostly how he handles goaltenders.

But the PP has been good.

I generally like his in-game choices. No complaints there.

The guy is a stickler for positional play.....there are times I would like to see more hitting

or freewheeling .....but generally with the post lockout rosters he has had an active defense with

more pinches than most teams. When he had the team trapping this past year more than others

it surprised some teams at first, but I can't say I ever thought he mishandled the team.

This past year they gave up too many leads. They really lacked a shut-down line and lost

too many faceoffs in the defensive zone.

Is it bad coaching when your best option is to double shift Roy on the first line and checking line?

If it is, he's a bad coach.

This is getting far-flung from the question: Is the idea of coming to Buffalo and playing for Lindy Ruff an attractive option for offensively talented players. I'll let his record speak for itself. I often wonder how the guy would handle a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.

I don't think Lindy has ever been willing to bring in independent, strong-minded offensive assistants. Just the good ole boys network.

This is getting far-flung from the question: Is the idea of coming to Buffalo and playing for Lindy Ruff an attractive option for offensively talented players. I'll let his record speak for itself. I often wonder how the guy would handle a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin.

I don't think Lindy has ever been willing to bring in independent, strong-minded offensive assistants. Just the good ole boys network.

I don't think the coach is really a high consideration when going to a team.

With Buffalo it might be...but I think location, money, teammates, family, and nightlife have a higher priority with most men over coach or coaching style. Heatly the immediate exception.

I never had the sense that Ruff has lost a room......although I can think of many good coaches that have: Tortorella, Keenan, Hitchcock, recently Guy Carbenoue (sp?)......

Then I can think of some very mediocre coaches that have lost their GM.....Savard, Nolan, Hartsburg, Theirren, Hanlon

You forgot 5th in 05-06.

And 17th, 17th, 20th, 16th, 17th, 25th...

So...where does that leave you? It seems pretty clear to me that when Lindy has more to work with than Curtis Brown and Brian Holzinger, he can implement a system that generates a highly productive offense. In fact, in retrospect it seems like that offense was greater than the sum of the parts, when you consider how the production of the departed has fallen on their new teams (other than JP).

It's clear that you want Lindy gone. I'm sure you're not alone. But it's simply not credible to assert that he's some kind of boring, defense-oriented coach and this is what scares off the Gaboriks and Bouwmeesters. Those guys aren't coming here because (i) the Sabres aren't interested in breaking the bank for high-end UFAs and (ii) when wealthy young men have their choice of places to live, they don't choose Buffalo.

So...where does that leave you? It seems pretty clear to me that when Lindy has more to work with than Curtis Brown and Brian Holzinger, he can implement a system that generates a highly productive offense. In fact, in retrospect it seems like that offense was greater than the sum of the parts, when you consider how the production of the departed has fallen on their new teams (other than JP).

It's clear that you want Lindy gone. I'm sure you're not alone. But it's simply not credible to assert that he's some kind of boring, defense-oriented coach and this is what scares off the Gaboriks and Bouwmeesters. Those guys aren't coming here because (i) the Sabres aren't interested in breaking the bank for high-end UFAs and (ii) when wealthy young men have their choice of places to live, they don't choose Buffalo.

But they will go to Detroit?

But they will go to Detroit?

Detroit isn't Chicago, Toronto or NYC, but it isn't Buffalo either. It has 5x Buffalo's population, and the team will pay $6MM or $7MM for a UFA here and there. A better comparison would be Pittsburgh, Columbus or Raleigh.

I couldn't agree more....Front Office must think our team is well set...So, if we start poorly (2-8, etc.)...FIRE QUINN, DARCY, and LINDY....

I remember how they seemed to be very impressed with the replies they got from the player's individual post season interviews.

I think it was LQ who made these statements though.

The overall sentiment was that LQ was won over by the guys on the roster.

They were said to take full responsibility for the missed post-season.

It is definitely not enough though.

The roster needs some bodies removed from it.

Especially the veterans that really are letting their teammates down.

You know the names.

If they think that going into the 09-10 season with the, mostly, same lineup.

They are mistaken.

Or maybe the lack of moves works out well for the team.

I have believed in the Darcy/ Lindy camp for the whole ride...mistakes and all.

They get their opportunity now to turn this ship in the right direction.

Playoffs are mandatory here on out. End of story.

This is their last chance....LAST chance.

They falter...they are gone.

Gone like Gainey (will be). If B. Gleason thinks the supposed 'magic' will be rekindled between Gionta and Gomez...he is fooling himself.

And Ryan Smyth???

Not for that money. Ridiculous.

Good for LA though. I hope they get their ship together.

Gone like Gainey (will be). If B. Gleason thinks the supposed 'magic' will be rekindled between Gionta and Gomez...he is fooling himself.

I actually think they will put up old numbers, and it still won't matter.

Gainey had to blow up a culture in Montreal. I'm not sure if he keeps his job, but

the question is if he can rebuild that team before he runs out of time.

Detroit isn't Chicago, Toronto or NYC, but it isn't Buffalo either. It has 5x Buffalo's population, and the team will pay $6MM or $7MM for a UFA here and there. A better comparison would be Pittsburgh, Columbus or Raleigh.

Whoa big fella. Your argument was that Buffalo's quality of life keeps the young bucks out of town. I don't see how population figures would matter to anyone. The city of Detroit, with poverty, crime and population decline rates that probably exceed Buffalo's, cannot possibly be a more attractive destination for hockey players. Or anyone. Not that any of these guys are going to be living with the folks in the city anyway.

Whoa big fella. Your argument was that Buffalo's quality of life keeps the young bucks out of town. I don't see how population figures would matter to anyone. The city of Detroit, with poverty, crime and population decline rates that probably exceed Buffalo's, cannot possibly be a more attractive destination for hockey players. Or anyone. Not that any of these guys are going to be living with the folks in the city anyway.

What are you arguing here?

Detroit compares itself to Chicago in terms of nightlife, music, food, etc.

Lifestyle? your family can get anywhere in the country without a connecting flight.

Chicago wins of course.....but Detroit is a major league town in 4 sports and you

have Anne Arbor and big 10 sports within a commute.

Even though Detroit can be downright scary, it has a big league vibe.

Obtuse.

Lifestyle? your family can get anywhere in the country without a connecting flight.

Chicago wins of course.....but Detroit is a major league town in 4 sports and you

What he said. I am considering putting XB on retainer for items like these.

Wow, someone needs to tell the people of Detroit, who've moved away in droves equaled only by post-Katrina New Orleans in this decade.

What are we arguing? Good question. We're all trying to figure out what's important to people we don't even know.

Wow, someone needs to tell the people of Detroit, who've moved away in droves equaled only by post-Katrina New Orleans in this decade.

What are we arguing? Good question. We're all trying to figure out what's important to people we don't even know.

I have a friend here from Windsor, she wants everyone to know that you have to actually drive across the Detroit river north to get to Joe Louis and she technically grew up south of Buffalo and Detroit.

"Who would want to live so far north when you can live in sunny Canada?"

reading through this exchange would have been worthwhile even without PA's rejoinder there at the end -- that made me laugh.

Look at you throwing down the word of the day... well done!

Francois Beauchemin signs with Toronto..... 3 years, $10 million.

per Sportsnet.

damn. there goes another one.

by the way, looks like the Preds have the same needs we do - experienced d-man and scoring winger - linky

Archived