Will Jaroslav Spacek be offered a contract

Giving Spacho a multiyear 3M+ deal at this point is the wrong move.

And I really like Spach.

He'll test the market. Tampa would do well to sign him.

Good post. I agree with each thing you have written.

He would do well in Tampa. It will hurt to have him leave here. However anything more than 3 for anymore than 1 year is just to much.

I'm okay with a 1 year offer for Spacek. I think the right offer is probably 2 years at $5.5 million with it being $3 million in the first year and $2.5 million in the second year. Spacek is not that young, so I think a one year deal or two year max is the right offer. Having said that, I do think even after he tests the market, given that he wants to stay in Buffalo and some comments made by his agent, I think he might give the Sabres a chance to match or negotiate even after he receives an offer on the open market. There may be teams interested in signing him, but given the cap is basically the same as last year, no real playoff contender has the cap room to sign him, and the only teams that could afford to sign him are probably bottom feeders. He is likely best served staying with Buffalo, but we'll see how it plays out. I hope he re-signs with Buffalo, but I think Buffalo could replace his offense on the open market with maybe a Jordan Leopold or someone else. By the way, I don't think Leopold stays in Florida. We'll see.

And I really like Spach.

I agree generally, but I think Tampa is in pretty rough shape financially and, unless they unload Vinny, will probably not be in the market for $3MM per year UFAs.

Offering a 1 year deal to Spach is pretty much saying they don't expect to resign him. That would give us some cap room to work with though, so it could be a good thing. And as someone posted in the McKee thread, the defensive pairings without him provided we move Tallinder and Myers makes the cut, and we add McKee, doesn't look so bad.

Guest Sloth
Offering a 1 year deal to Spach is pretty much saying they don't expect to resign him. That would give us some cap room to work with though, so it could be a good thing. And as someone posted in the McKee thread, the defensive pairings without him provided we move Tallinder and Myers makes the cut, and we add McKee, doesn't look so bad.

I just can't see McKee coming back to Buffalo. Actually, I have no desire to have him back in Buffalo. Injuries, lack of performance when healthy, etc..., prevent me from wanting him back as a Sabre. If the Sabres can't keep Spach in town, they need to reach for someone else. I know Spach is not worth 3 mill, but I do believe he is worth a 2, if not 3, year deal averaging 2 to 2.5 per year. Spach will continue to provide leadership, guidance to the upcoming d-men, and solid play. Playing D in Buffalo is Spach's "bread and butter." I'd hate to see Spach leave town. I'm sure he wants to be on a playoff caliber team. Tampa will not be one in the 09/10 season, but Buffalo will. The Sabres barely missed the playoffs the past two seasons, and I'm sure Spach has that on his mind. I'm certainly not saying Buffalo is a Cup contender, but they are a playoff contender. If Miller and Vanek didn't go down, the Sabres would've been in the playoffs. Darcy needs to keep Spach, and bring in somone to take pressure off of Vanek. Man, I just wish Darcy would be agressive. I wish the Patrick Marleau rumors were true...

And I really like Spach.

I'd bring him back for 3 years at $9.3MM total, but I doubt the Sabres have that kind of salary in mind for him.

If they get McKee back at around $1.6MM, it'll ease the pain of losing Spach.

Actually, if they had both of them, I'd be pretty happy w/ the D

Spach - Sekara

Rivet - Lydman

Butler - McKee

Paetsch in the press box, w/ Myers and Weber both available to be called up for the inevitable injury parade. That's got 2 strong leaders and another guy who wore the C during the rotating captaincy. Too bad it won't happen.

And yeah, Tampa HAS to do something.

I'd bring him back for 3 years at $9.3MM total, but I doubt the Sabres have that kind of salary in mind for him.

If they get McKee back at around $1.6MM, it'll ease the pain of losing Spach.

Actually, if they had both of them, I'd be pretty happy w/ the D

Spach - Sekara

Rivet - Lydman

Butler - McKee

Paetsch in the press box, w/ Myers and Weber both available to be called up for the inevitable injury parade. That's got 2 strong leaders and another guy who wore the C during the rotating captaincy. Too bad it won't happen.

And yeah, Tampa HAS to do something.

In that scenario, Myers would be back in juniors. They won't keep him up to be a 7th.

He could be a late season call-up....9 games and sent down....or wait for somebody to blow a

piston for the permanent call.

Based on what I hear about Myers he should be up with the big club get some real NHL time for the kid.

In that scenario, Myers would be back in juniors. They won't keep him up to be a 7th.

I didn't say they'd keep him up to be a 7th.

He could be a late season call-up....9 games and sent down....or wait for somebody to blow a

piston for the permanent call.

Yeah, what he said.

Sorry if this already was posted...

'GR is reporting that the Sabres have made an offer to Spacek.

Here's a tidbit worthy (IMHO) of bumping this thread -- Darcy said today that they had offered Spacek a 1-year contract (ie he specifically said it wasn't a multi-year deal), and that he expected Spacek to look around and see what else he could get in free agency.

Apology accepted.

What about Scuderi with Pitts. He would be a younger version and more mobile version of Mckee. He had a heckuv a final. Also there are that NJ defenseman Oduya who may reach the market... 20 pts and +20 +- rating.

Spacek looks like one the best out there after Bouwmeester was signed.

What about Scuderi with Pitts. He would be a younger version and more mobile version of Mckee. He had a heckuv a final. Also there are that NJ defenseman Oduya who may reach the market... 20 pts and +20 +- rating.

Spacek looks like one the best out there after Bouwmeester was signed.

TSN shows Oduya signed with NJ for 10.5 for 3 years.

TSN Tracker

So, 7 year at 3.75 average per. So who expects Spacek back with the Sabres?

From TSN:

"After spending his entire 12-year career with the Vancouver Canucks, defenceman Mattias Ohlund is going to the Tampa Bay Lightning with a new seven-year contract worth $26.25 million.

The 32-year-old native of Sweden had six goals and 19 assists in 81 games with the Canucks last season.

Ohlund was drafted by the Vancouver 13th overall in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

In 770 career regular season games, Ohlund has 93 goals and 232 assists for 325 points. He the leads the franchise all-time for defencemen in goals and points."

Archived