Will Jaroslav Spacek be offered a contract

I know there is plenty of time until training camp, but I have not seen anything about resigning Spacek, I thought he had a good year, most do in the final year of their three year deals. I may get flamed for wanting him back, but I would miss his one timers from the point on the power plays. He was also one of the few D-liners that would throw his weight around.

If they get rid of Tallinder and Teppo, go ahead and sign Spach. 3 mill. He's one of the few "locker room" guys and guys look up to him. If U keep Teppo and Tallinder there's not enough room.

Unfortunately, the only way they keep Spach, IMHO, is if like you state they get rid of both Teppo and Henrik. I don't see Teppo back next year, but I don't see them unloading Hank either.

Which kind of stinks because Spach is on record as wanting to be back and is a very good support player and can fill multiple roles. Unless Bouwmeester ends up in blue and gold, I don't expect I will be happy w/ the Spach-less Sabres D this coming season.

Unfortunately, the only way they keep Spach, IMHO, is if like you state they get rid of both Teppo and Henrik. I don't see Teppo back next year, but I don't see them unloading Hank either.

Which kind of stinks because Spach is on record as wanting to be back and is a very good support player and can fill multiple roles. Unless Bouwmeester ends up in blue and gold, I don't expect I will be happy w/ the Spach-less Sabres D this coming season.

I think you're right about that being the only way they keep Spacek, and that he is a good support player, but I also think Jaro is overpriced at $3MM. By comparison, Kronwall on Detroit is also a $3MM guy (cap hit), and is, IMHO, a much better player. The Sabres have too many overpriced middling players. I'd get rid of Hecht, Tallinder, Teppo and Paille before I got rid of Jaro, but I don't think I'd bring Jaro back for more than $2MM. I'd rather pay Weber $560K and live with his growing pains and big hits, and save the cash to get a better player (which I don't think will be Bouwmeester).

I think you're right about that being the only way they keep Spacek, and that he is a good support player, but I also think Jaro is overpriced at $3MM. By comparison, Kronwall on Detroit is also a $3MM guy (cap hit), and is, IMHO, a much better player. The Sabres have too many overpriced middling players. I'd get rid of Hecht, Tallinder, Teppo and Paille before I got rid of Jaro, but I don't think I'd bring Jaro back for more than $2MM. I'd rather pay Weber $560K and live with his growing pains and big hits, and save the cash to get a better player (which I don't think will be Bouwmeester).

But, on Detroit Kronwall is arguably the 2nd best D-man on the team (a case could be made for Rafalski or Stuart) but is no where near the top man on the team.

Spach, unfortunately, is the Sabres best D-man (a case could be made for Rivet (I wouldn't make it, but one could be made) but I'd have a hard time saying Lydman or Sekara was the top D-man this year).

(Going on D stats) Kronwall's 51 points were 3rd behind Lidstrom and Rafalski; Spach's 45 were 3 shy of doubling the 2nd most on the team. They both were 2nd on their team in hits and takeaways. Spach was 2nd in blocked shots, whereas Kronwall was 1st but Spach blocked more total. They had a comparable # of shots, but Spach had a slightly higher scoring %age. And they both were a +2.

How good would Kronwall be if he HAD to be the #1 guy? Kronwall on the Sabres would not be Kronwall on the Wings. That stated, Kronwall is at the age where D men step up and Spach is at an age where mortals take a step back. Someone will give Spach $3MM, I'd like it to be the Sabres.

This is pretty much my perspective. I don't see Teppo coming back, but we'll see what goes down on draft day...

20 days.

But, on Detroit Kronwall is arguably the 2nd best D-man on the team (a case could be made for Rafalski or Stuart) but is no where near the top man on the team.

Spach, unfortunately, is the Sabres best D-man (a case could be made for Rivet (I wouldn't make it, but one could be made) but I'd have a hard time saying Lydman or Sekara was the top D-man this year).

(Going on D stats) Kronwall's 51 points were 3rd behind Lidstrom and Rafalski; Spach's 45 were 3 shy of doubling the 2nd most on the team. They both were 2nd on their team in hits and takeaways. Spach was 2nd in blocked shots, whereas Kronwall was 1st but Spach blocked more total. They had a comparable # of shots, but Spach had a slightly higher scoring %age. And they both were a +2.

How good would Kronwall be if he HAD to be the #1 guy? Kronwall on the Sabres would not be Kronwall on the Wings. That stated, Kronwall is at the age where D men step up and Spach is at an age where mortals take a step back. Someone will give Spach $3MM, I'd like it to be the Sabres.

Good post, as always. I will say that I think Kronwall would be better on the Sabres than Spacek is (although I agree that Kronwall wouldn't be as good on the Sabres as he is on the Wings). In any case, I don't think I'd be unhappy with Spacek back at $3MM, but I wouldn't be unhappy with the Sabres choosing not to go that high either in favor of allocating the cash elsewhere. I would, however, be unhappy with letting Spacek sign for $3MM elsewhere but keeping Tallinder.

I have a bad feeling that Spacek is going to walk. I dont think theres much Darcy can do to move Tallinder,and Sekera will be aiming for a pay raise. So Darcy will probably hand out a 3 year deal to Shakira,based on potential. Who knows mayb by the 2012/13 season shakira will know how to hit.

Unfortunately i don't see spacek returning next season, with the year he had he could get awy with 3-3.5MM next season and thats money the sabres don't have right now although they can free it up easily. I think it's common sense that teppo will not be returning along with his 2.5 MM contract. Ruffs patience has run out with tallinder and I believe he is done as a sabre. thats two vacancies and a possible unloading of paestch could free more space for spacek to get a 2 or 3 year contract. We need this guy on the team, he is the leader on the PP. Hopefully management realizes this an realizes some easy cost cutting moves to bring him back. I read some posts about Kronwall, I would love for Kronwall to come to buffalo is spacek doesn't return, it's an upgrade in terms of skating ability and age.

Unfortunately i don't see spacek returning next season, with the year he had he could get awy with 3-3.5MM next season and thats money the sabres don't have right now although they can free it up easily. I think it's common sense that teppo will not be returning along with his 2.5 MM contract. Ruffs patience has run out with tallinder and I believe he is done as a sabre. thats two vacancies and a possible unloading of paestch could free more space for spacek to get a 2 or 3 year contract. We need this guy on the team, he is the leader on the PP. Hopefully management realizes this an realizes some easy cost cutting moves to bring him back. I read some posts about Kronwall, I would love for Kronwall to come to buffalo is spacek doesn't return, it's an upgrade in terms of skating ability and age.

Kronwall is a dirty Mofo. I was watching him tonight take Ruutu like liberties all night. Maybe this is just what this team needs.

I've considered the moving of Paetsch, but it really doesn't free much of anything. Even his total cash number of $1.05 million means very little right now.

looking at t tallinder and numminen leaving would free up enough money for spacek to be resigned, tallinder is making 3.25MM next year and numminen is gone so is his 2.5MM thats 6 MM right there, i don't see why a resigning of spacekis not plausible

looking at t tallinder and numminen leaving would free up enough money for spacek to be resigned, tallinder is making 3.25MM next year and numminen is gone so is his 2.5MM thats 6 MM right there, i don't see why a resigning of spacekis not plausible

Teppo only made 1.1 million last season, before that he was 2.6.

You'd have to find a trade for Tallinder. Maybe him and a few picks for someone better, but we haven't seen them do much of anything and may stick with the status woe.

Teppo only made 1.1 million last season, before that he was 2.6.

You'd have to find a trade for Tallinder. Maybe him and a few picks for someone better, but we haven't seen them do much of anything and may stick with the status woe.

there are so many moves they can make to keep spacek, hecht is another idiot they could waive along with paille

there are so many moves they can make to keep spacek, hecht is another idiot they could waive along with paille

IMO...The Sabres are not waiving anyone. It not their MO. If it was, Max would have been put on waivers very early last season.

Kronwall is a dirty Mofo. I was watching him tonight take Ruutu like liberties all night. Maybe this is just what this team needs.

Yes he is, but we hve to clear cap room for him, ust like we have todo if we want spacek

We also need to stop living in fantasyland. How in the world would we get Kronwall? I mentioned him earlier solely for the purpose of illustrating that the Sabres shouldn't be paying Spacek $3.3MM (and they need to stop paying $3MM+ to guys who are just OK), since that is pretty close to what Kronwall gets, and Kronwall is a much better player.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a tidbit worthy (IMHO) of bumping this thread -- Darcy said today that they had offered Spacek a 1-year contract (ie he specifically said it wasn't a multi-year deal), and that he expected Spacek to look around and see what else he could get in free agency.

Here's a tidbit worthy (IMHO) of bumping this thread -- Darcy said today that they had offered Spacek a 1-year contract (ie he specifically said it wasn't a multi-year deal), and that he expected Spacek to look around and see what else he could get in free agency.

Ah, the 1-year contract offer. The see we tried to sign him; but good luck with your new team deal.

Sabres are playing a dangerous game. They offered a 1-year deal, probably at a discount rate and will hope nobody realized how good Spacek was last season. Someone else will offer him a multi-year deal, and those who don't, will offer him more $$$ for one year then we offered. Say good-bye to Spacek guys.

Archived