Mr. Balsillie tables $212 million offer for Phoenix

joe w bags

Larry Quinn comments on the situation this afternoon, and also talks generally about the decision to keep Lindy and Darcy and what direction they plan to take over the summer.

http://sabres.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=23&id=41503

"We took every team in the league, injuries to core players, top...top two centers, top two forwards, top two D, goaltender, and there were only two teams that actually had more injuries to the core group than our team, that made the playoffs, that was Montreal and Pittsburgh. So uh we were pretty...we...the injury thing was real. Nobody wants to hear it but it was very real."

Stuff it Larry. Stop making excuses.

All that interview shows me is that he doesn't really have a plan. Just the same old rhetoric garbage. How about instead of talking and getting nice haircuts every week, you do something? You polo shirt wearin' douche.

Let the guy buy a Team and just get it over with..Worse case is at least we might have a chance of watching playoff hockey live and in person..Seeing how the Sabres nor the Leafs can get it right maybe third teams the charm!!!

A dancing banana, and posts like this one. And we're supposed to take you seriously. C'mon, Stenbaro. Pick it up a little bit.

I've got to ask, what do you think this means for Buffalo?

I'd love another close rival, but how close is too close and now are we worried about the Sabres survival. I don't know all that much about their draw from the southern Ontario market but this can be a negative from Buffalo's point of view and even Toronto.

Toronto could easily support a second team---hell, possibly even a third team...noone can even get into a Maple Leaf game unless they are willing to travel to road games...

Balsillie is trying to muscle his way in, even more so than previously. I don't see this is as a wise move -- Bettman and the owners are not the kind of guys who react well to this kind of tactic.

Bottom line is that the owners will have to change the operating philosophy that's guided them for 20 years -- i.e. that a greater US presence is the key to economic success -- in order for a team to relocate to Canada. While this could happen, there is no indication that it will.

I'd be very surprised if Balsillie gets a team anytime soon.

I find it funny that Bettman is trying to dissuade Balsillie saying the owners aren't going to approve it...

I guess the owners would rather have a team in a big US city that has no interest in hockey causing the team to hemorrhage money every year eventually forcing the owner into bankruptcy than a team with an actual fan base who wants and is willing to support a hockey team? No wonder why the NHL is so far down the pecking order of sports...

Seems the NHL got a bit blindsided by this one http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421608

NEW YORK - National Hockey League Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly issued the following statement regarding the Phoenix Coyotes:

"The League will appear and proceed before the Bankruptcy Court in the best interests of all of the Club's constituencies, including its fans in Arizona and the League's 29 other Member Clubs."

If Arizona had any fans the team wouldn't be in bankruptcy court you idiot!!!

A dancing banana, and posts like this one. And we're supposed to take you seriously. C'mon, Stenbaro. Pick it up a little bit.

Here let me repeat what I said last year and the year before...NO changes will be made and the Sabres will be looking at the playoffs from the Transit VAlley Golf Club bar again...Thats as serious as I need to be...Doesnt much matter after that does it.. :thumbsup:

SOrry if I am coming across as a AHOLE but watching these playoffs only make me angrier knowing that with a few additions to our team from 3 yrs ago instead of mass subtractions we would be playing now...THis time of year pisses me of now..

"We took every team in the league, injuries to core players, top...top two centers, top two forwards, top two D, goaltender, and there were only two teams that actually had more injuries to the core group than our team, that made the playoffs, that was Montreal and Pittsburgh. So uh we were pretty...we...the injury thing was real. Nobody wants to hear it but it was very real."

Stuff it Larry. Stop making excuses.

All that interview shows me is that he doesn't really have a plan. Just the same old rhetoric garbage. How about instead of talking and getting nice haircuts every week, you do something? You polo shirt wearin' douche.

Were LQ's statistical findings the other 95% of the review? What an a-hole. :angry:

I find it funny that Bettman is trying to dissuade Balsillie saying the owners aren't going to approve it...

I guess the owners would rather have a team in a big US city that has no interest in hockey causing the team to hemorrhage money every year eventually forcing the owner into bankruptcy than a team with an actual fan base who wants and is willing to support a hockey team? No wonder why the NHL is so far down the pecking order of sports...

If Arizona had any fans the team wouldn't be in bankruptcy court you idiot!!!

Maybe the team doesn't have enough support because it stinks every year. Most markets won't support a team in any sport that performs so poorly year after year. I understand that this isn't true of most NFL teams, and of the Leafs and probably the Habs, but it is true of most of the NBA, NHL and MLB.

Also I don't think Bettman is trying to dissuade Balsillie. He knows Balsillie is going to keep playing hardball, and he's just letting him know that the money and the legal strong-arming isn't going to work.

Yeah, just like the Sabres and Senators.

Good call.

Penguins, too? Or did they just barely manage to avoid filing? I forget.

My memory must be fault because according to wikipedia (yeah, I know) they did declare bankrupcy back in 98. I would've swore that I remember them just barely avoiding it.

I saw that too. I have a hard time tying a bankrupcy from the 70s into this conversation though. It was a whole different sports world back then. It is interesting to see just how lucky those fans are though. Buffalo and Pittsburgh seem to be pretty similar cities, but just their luck, their fans have won so many championships.

I do doubt Hartford would ever get back in the game. In retrospect, how did they ever get a franchise to start with, right?

The Hartford Whalers (along with the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques and the Winnepeg Jets) were all originally teams in the short-lived World Hockey Association. The NHL absorbed these four teams (the most viable ones) when the WHA began to look as if it would fold, which it did. Edmonton is the only team left that stayed in its original city. The Jets are now the Coyotes, The Nordiques are the Avalanche and the Whalers are the Hurricanes.

I think that despite the NHL's insistence to the contrary, Phoenix was never a good fit for a pro hockey team. However, the money to make the move was too good to pass up. The Jets owners at the time neglected the team's on-ice needs for a couple of seasons, attendance dropped off, and when the Phoenix offer was made, Winnepeg lost the team. Although I'd love to see another Canadian team, I fear them moving anywhere close to Buffalo. I don't know how many Sabres' season ticket holders are from Ontario, but I'm going to guess that a mediocre on-ice performance coupled with another NHL franchise close by could mean that Sabres' attendance would plummet. If so, it may be only a matter of time before Tommy G. wants to sell the team to KC (or wherever) and bail. Maybe it's just me being paranoid.....

Toronto could easily support a second team---hell, possibly even a third team...noone can even get into a Maple Leaf game unless they are willing to travel to road games...

Yeah, but the Leafs aren't going to give up that market, at any price. There's no way that Toronto is going to share its corporate base, television market, and advertising revenue with another NHL team.

Bettman isn't the one saying no here, it's the Leafs, and they'll continue to say no.

Just a heads up: Larry Quinn will be on WGR during the 5pm hour to discuss Balsillie.

Oh goody. I am sure that Schoop and the Bulldog will be coming at him with hard hitting questions. Here are 5 that they can feel free to use...

1. How did you determine after your year end review was only 5% done that LR & DR would be back and what does the other 95% consist of?

2. Do you still think the Sabres have an elite defense?

3. How much did your friendship with Connolly's father have to do with handing over another 9 mil to the tinman?

4. Even though the platinum tier of pricing backfired on you, what is the next metal level for 09-10?

5. Whatever happened to the hulking nets and blue ice?

The Hartford Whalers (along with the Edmonton Oilers, Quebec Nordiques and the Winnepeg Jets) were all originally teams in the short-lived World Hockey Association. The NHL absorbed these four teams (the most viable ones) when the WHA began to look as if it would fold, which it did. Edmonton is the only team left that stayed in its original city. The Jets are now the Coyotes, The Nordiques are the Avalanche and the Whalers are the Hurricanes.

I think that despite the NHL's insistence to the contrary, Phoenix was never a good fit for a pro hockey team. However, the money to make the move was too good to pass up. The Jets owners at the time neglected the team's on-ice needs for a couple of seasons, attendance dropped off, and when the Phoenix offer was made, Winnepeg lost the team. Although I'd love to see another Canadian team, I fear them moving anywhere close to Buffalo. I don't know how many Sabres' season ticket holders are from Ontario, but I'm going to guess that a mediocre on-ice performance coupled with another NHL franchise close by could mean that Sabres' attendance would plummet. If so, it may be only a matter of time before Tommy G. wants to sell the team to KC (or wherever) and bail. Maybe it's just me being paranoid.....

20%

20%

Well, if it doesn't happen, fine; the Sabres keep those season ticket holders.

And if it does happen, fine; the Sabres lose half of that 20% and folks like me can buy season tickets.

Let's not forget that demand exceeds supply right now, and the Sabres aren't doing the Adam Smith thing and regulating demand with prices (the price increases do not, apparently, affect demand). And let's also not forget that there are a lot of season ticket holders who are profiteers, when some of us actually want to buy tickets for the purpose of going to the games. (And I don't mean ticket companies. I mean regular folks who don't go to games, but who profit like crazy off of their tix.)

Fine by me either way.

Maybe another team in our market could be a good thing for us as fans, seeing as ownership would HAVE to field a consistently competitive team or else ticket sales would suffer drastically.

Of course then they'd just move the Sabres, but I'd like to dream that ownership actually wants to make the Sabres profitable.

Archived