Jim Kelley on Trade Deadline

topshelfcookies

Here's a link http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/06trade_deadline.html to an article regarding Jim Kelley's (former Buffalo News reporter) thoughts on the trade deadline. Just 5 days to go...

Some quick info on Greene, in case you're not familiar with him:

6'3", 223 lbs, 22 years old from Michigan.

2005-06: 18 GP, 0G, 1A, -2 +/-, 34 PIM

tsn.ca's scouting report states the following regarding Greene

Assets: Owns impressive size and strength, and loves to initiate contact in the defensive zone. Should become a stabilizing force in the NHL with more experience.

Flaws: Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside, and will mainly stick as a stay-at-home blueliner. Still needs to get better with his footwork.

"Career Potential": Top four defenseman

Also, Kelley sure doesn't sound very optimistic the Sabres will be able to retain McKee after this season, which is disappointing to me. Would anyone else be surprised if the Sabres didn't make a considerable effort to resign Jay?

Here's a link http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/06trade_deadline.html to an article regarding Jim Kelley's (former Buffalo News reporter) thoughts on the trade deadline. Just 5 days to go...

Assets: Owns impressive size and strength, and loves to initiate contact in the defensive zone. Should become a stabilizing force in the NHL with more experience.

Flaws: Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside, and will mainly stick as a stay-at-home blueliner. Still needs to get better with his footwork.

Also, Kelley sure doesn't sound very optimistic the Sabres will be able to retain McKee after this season, which is disappointing to me. Would anyone else be surprised if the Sabres didn't make a considerable effort to resign Jay?

I guess it all depends how his salary fits into the Sabres plans. Several other players are due raises. They will need to tender offers for the Restricted Fee Agents. After that I doubt they will have a lot of $ left over for Jay.

It would be nice to keep Mckee but not at the expense of throwing off the salary structure

of the team.

My bet is that McKee won't command more than $2M-$2.3M on the open market, and I'd also bet that he'd take less--such as a modest increase over his current salary--to stay if management got the deal done now.

DeLuca, why are you worried about Golisano's money? I'm sure the guy can cough up some change to keep a player like McKee around. Like I've said all along, this offseason will be very telling about Golisano's commitment to winning. If a player like McKee goes over a few bucks, that's sad. You have to spend money to make money, and McKee is a big part of why fans are filling the building again.

DeLuca, why are you worried about Golisano's money? I'm sure the guy can cough up some change to keep a player like McKee around. Like I've said all along, this offseason will be very telling about Golisano's commitment to winning. If a player like McKee goes over a few bucks, that's sad. You have to spend money to make money, and McKee is a big part of why fans are filling the building again.

I stated earlier this week, that I fear in this era of UFA at a younger age, that the Sabres will be letting a lot of players walk when they hit this point and try to replace them with cheaper players and/or prospects. There will be an exception every now and then(hopefully Ryan Miller down the road ;) ), but most will walk. Do not underestimate McKee's worth to the blue line corps.

I don't want to see it, but I think they let McKee walk. Anybody believe he would sign for 3 years 6 million total?

PS I like Greene and would do this trade in a heartbeat!

The Sabres are a business. Golisano is not just going to toss money around and ring up losses. It's what got the Sabres into the mess a few years ago. The Sabres have a strict budget and a solid business plan which has to work inorder for the Sabres to remain in Buffalo.

There has been talk that the Sabres are on their way to a profit for the first time in 20 years. They would be idiots to go out and lose ther heads and get away from the plan at the first sign of success.

The Stanley Cup would be nice. But it means nothing if the Sabres go back to the way of doing business that almost cost this city it's franchise. Long term stability on the ice will only come with long term stability off the ice.

Enjoy this season. It's the first step in building a model NHL organIzation. For years fans have been screaming to be like the Bruins or Devils or Leafs. The path the Sabres are on will have those other teams wanting to be like the Sabres. :)

Golisano is on record as saying that when revenues increased, payroll would follow along. So what's the problem? I can't believe Jay McKee is going to bust the Sabres budget. People are so shortsighted. Look what just a little winning has done for the bottom line. Who wants to go back to the old days? Sure increasing payroll to try and win involves a risk. Risk-taking is what entrepreneurs like Golisano do. And, please, let's stop fretting over Tom's bottom line. He had no concerns whatsoever about throwing almost $100 million down the drain in runs for governor he had zero chance of winning. Act like a fan for once, DeLuca. Winning the Stanley Cup "means nothing" if the Sabres lose money to do it? Who cares? Give me a Cup and move the Sabres to Huntsville!

Golisano is on record as saying that when revenues increased, payroll would follow along. So what's the problem? I can't believe Jay McKee is going to bust the Sabres budget. People are so shortsighted. Look what just a little winning has done for the bottom line. Who wants to go back to the old days? Sure increasing payroll to try and win involves a risk. Risk-taking is what entrepreneurs like Golisano do. And, please, let's stop fretting over Tom's bottom line. He had no concerns whatsoever about throwing almost $100 million down the drain in runs for governor he had zero chance of winning. Act like a fan for once, DeLuca. Winning the Stanley Cup "means nothing" if the Sabres lose money to do it? Who cares? Give me a Cup and move the Sabres to Huntsville!

PA, I do hope you are exaggerating with this one. I assume you are, but if you aren't, why bother rooting for this team that has had 2 extended periods of mediocrity?

If the Sabres ever leave Buffalo, I will not cheer for them ever again. I don't know if I would still follow the NHL for that matter, I probably would come back after a few years and pick a different team to pull for, but it wouldn't be the same.

That's a real good point. If it's the case that he won't pay then we better make the run now for the cup because this team won't be staying together much longer

It's amazing how a little success has blurred the vision of some. Win a few games then it's doom and gloom if they don't break the bank?

Where are all the posters that told me I was wrong when I was down on Regier earlier in the season? The season is playing out like many of you have said. They have a young team that is playing well and now fans want to cash it all in for a quick fix run that history shows it never works? :huh:

Enjoy this season. It's the first step in building a model NHL organIzation. For years fans have been screaming to be like the Bruins or Devils or Leafs. The path the Sabres are on will have those other teams wanting to be like the Sabres. :)

Don't let the fans in Boston hear you say that. They've been calling for Jeremy Jacobs' head for years now.

It's amazing how a little success has blurred the vision of some. Win a few games then it's doom and gloom if they don't break the bank?

Where are all the posters that told me I was wrong when I was down on Regier earlier in the season? The season is playing out like many of you have said. They have a young team that is playing well and now fans want to cash it all in for a quick fix run that history shows it never works? :huh:

I'm here. :D I'd be happy with a trade to improve depth at the blue line. I certainly don't think a blockbuster is necessary...

Only problem is Greene was placed on IR yesterday. While I don't think is a bad trade if Greene's healthy, in that we get a young Dman we need (as the long term status of McKee, Numinen and Lydman are in doubt) my biggest issue is not clearing up a roster spot or two. As I really think we need to clear up two spots (for when Connolly and Kalinin return). So I'd prefer to package Marty and Pyatt and possibly more for a bigger name if at all possible. Or maybe Marty and Pominville or Roy for a bonafide #1 winger and or Dman and then maybe move Pyatt in another deal for a Dman prospect/draft pick.

Archived