4.5 mil for Connolly or in the offseason on FA?

LabattBlue

44 members have voted

1. 1. How would you have liked DR to spend 4.5 mil?

• Connolly
    • Free Agency

I don't know what the Sabres budget is going to be for next year(we know they won't be spending to the cap), but with the 4.5 mil committed to Connolly, they may not have much wiggle room for FA signings unless they trade dead weight like Tallinder and Hecht. So, did DR make the right move in committing a huge chuck of the budget on Connolly or should he have waited and see what opens up in FA or trade in the offseason?

Take a look at the cap dollars committed for next year and then look at the holes to fill and players to be signed...

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=BUF&season=0809

I'll let you know in 2 years.

Took the words out of my mouth.

If Connolly pans out and we see this summer that there isn't anything better in FA to pick from, then it'll have been a smart move. But if we get to FA and there are clearly better choices to be had for similar money, I'm not gonna be happy.

I don't have much doubt that if you could guarantee that each player would stay healthy, that we couldn't spend $4.5 million any better. However, it's much closer to what I think a healthy player of his caliber would cost than I think he should have been given with his injury history. Basically, what I'm saying is that he took a health-history based discount, especially given the short term of the deal, but not nearly as much of one as I would have expected.

Sure, there's lots of #1 centers hanging around, waiting to play for # 2 center $. Good luck w/ that. Connolly would have garnered $5 mil plus on the open market this summer. He took a hometown discount to stay, and he makes this team far better than any mid level player that would have come in for $4.5. I know I'm WAY in the minority, but I think this was a super move by our FO. Gomez, Briere, and Drury make $7, LeCalvilier and Thornton make $10. You don't think The Skill is worth half that? We'd be a lesser team w/ out him, me thinks......

Sure, there's lots of #1 centers hanging around, waiting to play for # 2 center $. Good luck w/ that. Connolly would have garnered $5 mil plus on the open market this summer. He took a hometown discount to stay, and he makes this team far better than any mid level player that would have come in for $4.5. I know I'm WAY in the minority, but I think this was a super move by our FO. Gomez, Briere, and Drury make $7, LeCalvilier and Thornton make $10. You don't think The Skill is worth half that? We'd be a lesser team w/ out him, me thinks......

What exactly is that based on? It sounds a lot like when Reuben Brown thought he was going to cash in on free agency and crawled back to the Bills.

Teams are tight with money. No team, other than the Sabres, is going to throw that type of money at a player who, if lucky, plays over a 100 games the next two seasons.

Took the words out of my mouth.

If Connolly pans out and we see this summer that there isn't anything better in FA to pick from, then it'll have been a smart move. But if we get to FA and there are clearly better choices to be had for similar money, I'm not gonna be happy.

Darcy didn't have to wait til this summer to find out there's nothing better out there in FA. He said as much.

I would take the $4.5 million and try to change the make up of this team. Even with a healthy Tim Connolly (lmao) the Sabres are still a soft team. They maybe even softer with him in the lineup.

Oh??? Connolly has nothing to do with being a hard hitting team, he is about points, which you need to win. If the game was all about running people over, Pat Kaleta would be the highest paid player on the team. You can't win without scoring goals, that's why Darcy signed Timmy. Good move, IMO

Oh??? Connolly has nothing to do with being a hard hitting team, he is about points, which you need to win. If the game was all about running people over, Pat Kaleta would be the highest paid player on the team. You can't win without scoring goals, that's why Darcy signed Timmy. Good move, IMO

You missed the point like a Zhitnik slapshot.

What exactly is that based on? It sounds a lot like when Reuben Brown thought he was going to cash in on free agency and crawled back to the Bills.

Teams are tight with money. No team, other than the Sabres, is going to throw that type of money at a player who, if lucky, plays over a 100 games the next two seasons.

Care to make a small wager on the 100 games?

Provided Timmy makes it through this season healthy, I'd be very surprised if he only plays in 100 in the next 2. (I'd be willing to put a pair of "value level" tix on it today; after I know he made it through to the off-season training regimin, I'd be willing to put a pair of "platinums" on it.)

Personally, I would like to have seen the Sabres ink him to something around $4MM/ for 2-3, but I can live w/ the deal they gave him. I really like having him center for The Shot (if Timmy's "the Skill", Tommy should be "the Shot", right?) It puts Roy on the 2nd line where he should be able to do some damage. I really like Roy on the 2nd line; to me he is too good for #2 duty, but not quite what I want from a #1.

Care to make a small wager on the 100 games?

Provided Timmy makes it through this season healthy, I'd be very surprised if he only plays in 100 in the next 2. (I'd be willing to put a pair of "value level" tix on it today; after I know he made it through to the off-season training regimin, I'd be willing to put a pair of "platinums" on it.)

Personally, I would like to have seen the Sabres ink him to something around $4MM/ for 2-3, but I can live w/ the deal they gave him. I really like having him center for The Shot (if Timmy's "the Skill", Tommy should be "the Shot", right?) It puts Roy on the 2nd line where he should be able to do some damage. I really like Roy on the 2nd line; to me he is too good for #2 duty, but not quite what I want from a #1.

Care to give me odds?

"Provided Timmy makes it through this season healthy," really doesn't say much for your conviction on the matter. <_<

Care to give me odds?

"Provided Timmy makes it through this season healthy," really doesn't say much for your conviction on the matter. <_<

I told you what I'd put up today. I told you what I'd expect to put up in 2 months. What sort of odds are you expecting on an over/under?

And the reason for that proviso is simply that he has not had a full off-season of a regular training regimen since they came back from the lockout. Having a full off-season, w/ no rehab, should give him a very realistic chance to play the full year. IMHO, doing absolutely no training for several months followed by a (from all reports) ferocious training regimen set him up for lower body injuries he suffered post concussion/mis-diagnosed neck injury.

I told you what I'd put up today. I told you what I'd expect to put up in 2 months. What sort of odds are you expecting on an over/under?

And the reason for that proviso is simply that he has not had a full off-season of a regular training regimen since they came back from the lockout. Having a full off-season, w/ no rehab, should give him a very realistic chance to play the full year. IMHO, doing absolutely no training for several months followed by a (from all reports) ferocious training regimen set him up for lower body injuries he suffered post concussion/mis-diagnosed neck injury.

How about this. I'll give you $1 for every regular season game he plays over 100 the next two seasons. You give me $3 for every game under 100. What do you say?

How about this. I'll give you $1 for every regular season game he plays over 100 the next two seasons. You give me $3 for every game under 100. What do you say?

I don't think so; you are out at most $64; I could be out $300. Make it $2 each way, and you've got a deal. The most I can collect is $128 (not counting long playof runs, which only brings me over $200 w/ 2 REAL long playoff runs); and you can still get a cool $200.

I don't think so; you are out at most $64; I could be out $300. Make it $2 each way, and you've got a deal. The most I can collect is $128 (not counting long playof runs, which only brings me over $200 w/ 2 REAL long playoff runs); and you can still get a cool $200.

My biggest concern is the second year. Connolly tends to get "really healthy" at contract time.

You give me $2 bucks for every regular season game under 100 he plays. I'll give you $2 for every game over 50 he plays next season and $1 for every game over 50 the season after that.

We can put in two provisions.

1) If he is traded the bet ends there.

2) If his career is ended the bet also ends.

My biggest concern is the second year. Connolly tends to get "really healthy" at contract time.

You give me $2 bucks for every regular season game under 100 he plays. I'll give you $2 for every game over 50 he plays next season and $1 for every game over 50 the season after that.

I'll go w/ the $2/game under 100 total. If you go w/ $3 for each game over 50 next year, $1 for each over 50 the following; if he is traded, we only look at full season '09-'10 stats and you get $2/game under 50 he plays, and I get $2/game over 50 he plays.

I'll man up, and give you your full winnings, provided he plays at least 1 game in the next 2 years. So if his world gets rocked on Oct 10, 2009, you'll get ~$196.

I would take the $4.5 million and try to change the make up of this team. Even with a healthy Tim Connolly (lmao) the Sabres are still a soft team. They maybe even softer with him in the lineup.

i don't think sauve missed your point entirely, deluca. if connolly's "softness" does not owe to his inability to lay people out and grind forechecks like a beaver working a log, then to what does his "softness" owe? while there's plenty of dangle and finesse to the guy's game, i can't say he's soft. x. benedict had a better take on this than i can provide here, but the bottom line is that connolly regularly puts himself in dangerous situations/positions, probably too much so (you can be sure he had a plan when he got in those trolley tracks in ottawa in 2006).

by soft, are you saying that he lacks heart? that he disappears? floats? i think you need to be more precise.

oh, and fwiw, i don't like the signing. to me, relying on connolly to be our #1-A or -B center guarantees that we won't contend for three years, minimum. i just don't think his health will hold up -- it was a bad risk. (god, let me be wrong.) in truth, i'd rather we sever ties with the guy, spiral downward and even genuinely stink for a couple years, which would compel the franchise to rebuild.

wtf is with all this equivocation -- when you're just griping about the guy, you're as unequivocal as rush limbaugh talking about our 44th president ... then taro t. asks you to put or shut up and you start equivocating like

. :nana:

Darcy didn't have to wait til this summer to find out there's nothing better out there in FA. He said as much.

I don't know if that's going to be true or not...a lot of the analysts were saying (on deadline day) that the consensus seems to be that there will be a lot of players available this summer due to the anticipated drop in the salary cap. The guys on the NHL Live deadline show were under the impression that there would be more significant wheeling and dealing at/around the draft.

I'll go w/ the $2/game under 100 total. If you go w/ $3 for each game over 50 next year, $1 for each over 50 the following; if he is traded, we only look at full season '09-'10 stats and you get $2/game under 50 he plays, and I get $2/game over 50 he plays.

I'll man up, and give you your full winnings, provided he plays at least 1 game in the next 2 years. So if his world gets rocked on Oct 10, 2009, you'll get ~$196.

It's a bet.

Just keeping it real and interesting. Try it sometime. You may actually enjoy it.

Interesting? Definately.

Real? Only if one is delusional. But that's ok in my book, too. Fans need to get delusional from time to time.

GO SABRES!!!

Archived