GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7::30pm

My source from deep within the organEYEzation tells me that there will be 18 skaters and 2 goalies dressed in blue and gold for tonight's game. Take it to the bank. Also, take it to the bank that the Sabres will put forth a better effort than they did on the island. These last few games have been ridiculous. Ruff has publicly taken the blame for the lack of scoring. Hopefully the players will rally around their coach and put on a show. Unless he's traded by 3, Afinogenov should play. He sucks, but he does have speed which can open up some holes. Vanek will possibly be back, and hopefully will contribute, although he has been drinking through a straw for the past month. How far can he go on his legs tonight? We shall see i guess... LETS GO BUFFALO!

7::30pm

My source from deep within the organEYEzation tells me that there will be 18 skaters and 2 goalies dressed in blue and gold for tonight's game. Take it to the bank. Also, take it to the bank that the Sabres will put forth a better effort than they did on the island. These last few games have been ridiculous. Ruff has publicly taken the blame for the lack of scoring. Hopefully the players will rally around their coach and put on a show. Unless he's traded by 3, Afinogenov should play. He sucks, but he does have speed which can open up some holes. Vanek will possibly be back, and hopefully will contribute, although he has been drinking through a straw for the past month. How far can he go on his legs tonight? We shall see i guess... LETS GO BUFFALO!

The last couple games were as physical as we've played and it just led to us not having any offense. Let's hope we find the balance tonight. We need a big game to get us goin for the home stretch.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't like the Sabres after more than a few days off. It seems that they always come out flat after not playing for a few days. If anyone has ever looked at their record after 3 days off I'd be interested to know what their record is. Yeah, I know Lindy's been riding them hard and all but this team just seems to lack the maturity (read: focus) to do what it takes to stay sharp during their off time. You can bet the Habs will come out hell bent for leather (I have NO idea what that means, BTW) so it'll be interesting to see how the Sabres respond to that.

GO SABRES!!!

It's been said, many tiiiiimes..maaaaany waaaaays (no, not Merry Christmas)

This game is the playoffs. Yes, there have been a lot of important games that the Sabres have blown in order to get above water but this one..THIS ONE is the grand daddy of them all. I don't think that it is too extreme to say that without this win, they will have dropped too far below to catch up to teams that are on the rise.

They better be freakin' flying tonight with no let down in ANY period. NO LET DOWN!! I want to be watching this game with ZERO stress in the last 5 minutes (highly unlikely I know)

Let's go and make a push

You can bet the Habs will come out hell bent for leather (I have NO idea what that means, BTW) so it'll be interesting to see how the Sabres respond to that.

GO SABRES!!!

Hell bent -- "I Hear America Talking" by Stuart Berg Flexner (1976, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company) says "hell bent, 1835; hell bent for leather, late 1920s; hell bent for breakfast, 1931" are American terms for moving fast or doing something quickly, the earliest ones coined during the period of growth called the Industrial Revolution. However, Charles Earle Funk, in "A Hog on Ice," (1948, Harper & Row) says that "hell for leather.is a British expression, apparently originating in the British army in India. Possibly (Rudyard) Kipling coined it, for he was the first to record it, though he may have been actually quoting army speech. His first usage is in 'The Story of the Gadsbys,' .Though the term must originally have referred to the terrific beating inflicted upon leather saddles by heavy troopers at full speed, even by Kipling's time it had acquired a figurative sense indicating great speed, on foot, by vehicle, or by horse." Kipling was born in 1865 and died in 1936.

Link

NHL Network tonight folks.

You have got to be kidding me. I actually have the time to watch a game tonight and it won't be on center ice. God I hate that channel. I guess I'll be looking for that online feed that people usually post on here.

Anyway, hopefully Connolly has a big game thanks to the contract.

This is one of our games-in-hand on Caroline and Pittsburgh. We need to win to keep that last little sliver of hope that we haven't slipped out of 8th place (for even games played) alive. Given their last three games, the fact that they've been passed (sort of) in the standings and are getting Vanek back, I hope that they come out on fire. However, I fear that either they will come out flat or their offense will come finally fire, but Lalime's inconsistency will burn them the other way.

Back in one of those how many games will Timmy play threads, I said that he would receive a season-ending injury in tonight's game just to completely screw us. Boy, I really hope that I am wrong, now.

Hell bent -- "I Hear America Talking" by Stuart Berg Flexner (1976, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company) says "hell bent, 1835; hell bent for leather, late 1920s; hell bent for breakfast, 1931" are American terms for moving fast or doing something quickly, the earliest ones coined during the period of growth called the Industrial Revolution. However, Charles Earle Funk, in "A Hog on Ice," (1948, Harper & Row) says that "hell for leather.is a British expression, apparently originating in the British army in India. Possibly (Rudyard) Kipling coined it, for he was the first to record it, though he may have been actually quoting army speech. His first usage is in 'The Story of the Gadsbys,' .Though the term must originally have referred to the terrific beating inflicted upon leather saddles by heavy troopers at full speed, even by Kipling's time it had acquired a figurative sense indicating great speed, on foot, by vehicle, or by horse." Kipling was born in 1865 and died in 1936.

Link

Thank-you, sir. Seems you were hell bent for leather to get a definition. I hope the Sabres match your intensity.

GO SABRES!!!

You have got to be kidding me. I actually have the time to watch a game tonight and it won't be on center ice. God I hate that channel. I guess I'll be looking for that online feed that people usually post on here.

NHL Network is free right now, if you're in the right area. I'll assume it's blacked out because of MSG in Buffalo for the game. I'm at the game tonight so I'm hoping I record the right channel.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't like the Sabres after more than a few days off. It seems that they always come out flat after not playing for a few days. If anyone has ever looked at their record after 3 days off I'd be interested to know what their record is. Yeah, I know Lindy's been riding them hard and all but this team just seems to lack the maturity (read: focus) to do what it takes to stay sharp during their off time. You can bet the Habs will come out hell bent for leather (I have NO idea what that means, BTW) so it'll be interesting to see how the Sabres respond to that.

GO SABRES!!!

For this season only and not counting the first game of the season, Sabres are 3-5-1 when having 3+ full days off between games.

For this season only and not counting the first game of the season, Sabres are 3-5-1 when having 3+ full days off between games.

Man, this BB is better than Wiki or Elias Sports Bereau. First I get the definition of "hell bent for leather" and now the Sabres' record after 3 days off. I'm not surprised at all that it's a losing record. FWIW, their losing record after extended layoffs is also reflective of the reason for their maddening inconsistency; maturity.

Thanks for the research.

BTW, I've got to give a presentation on "Effective Communication in the Healthcare Facility" in a couple weeks. Just wondering if you or BuffalOhio could do the research for me. Figure about 15-20 minutes worth of material on PowerPoint.

Thanks again.

GO SABRES!!!

Man, this BB is better than Wiki or Elias Sports Bereau. First I get the definition of "hell bent for leather" and now the Sabres' record after 3 days off. I'm not surprised at all that it's a losing record. FWIW, there losing record after extended layoffs is also reflective of the reason for their maddening inconsistency; maturity.

Thanks for the research.

BTW, I've got to give a presentation on "Effective Communication in the Healthcare Facility" in a couple weeks. Just wondering if you or BuffalOhio could do the research for me. Figure about 15-20 minutes worth of material on PowerPoint.

Thanks again.

GO SABRES!!!

You're on your own, pal!

NHL Network is free right now, if you're in the right area. I'll assume it's blacked out because of MSG in Buffalo for the game. I'm at the game tonight so I'm hoping I record the right channel.

Yeah, but down here in Raleigh, TWC is not showing it. :censored: Bastards!

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't like the Sabres . It seems that they always come out flat after not playing for a few days. If anyone has ever looked at their record after 3 days off I'd be interested to know what their record is. Yeah, I know Lindy's been riding them hard and all but this team just seems to lack the maturity (read: focus) to do what it takes to stay sharp during their off time. You can bet the Habs will come out hell bent for leather (I have NO idea what that means, BTW) so it'll be interesting to see how the Sabres respond to that.

GO SABRES!!!

fixed...

Okay, dealings done. Game time set. Players's now know who's here. The Playoffs are on the line starting tonight through the reminder of the season. Time to see who wants' to be here next year. (although I think we know some will not)

No margin for error and I don't know what to expect with our record of streakiness but I'll be watching faithfully as ever and hope I'm not yelling at the TV.... Lets GO Sabres..... show us all you've been playing possum and know what it's going to take... :chris: ...

So Tellqvist was in Boston with Phoenix and Moore was up in Toronto and Kotalik has to go to Ottawa to meet up with Edmonton. Will all of the players make it in time for their respective games? I'm hoping Tellqvist and Moore make it tonight, but I wouldn't expect much from Moore tonight if he makes it in time. If Moore makes it, what are the lines?

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

Hecht-Gaustad-Pominville

Roy?-Moore?-Max

Paille-Mair-Kaleta

I know Ellis has the flu and won't play tonight. Regardless, this is a must win game from here on out. Overall, I like Darcy's work today although I think he overpaid for Connolly. Now, it's time to put up or shut up. Big game and we have to get a big win.

I'd venture to guess that Moore was in DC with the Leafs, who play there tomorrow. Teams don't like to travel on game days. Not sure though. That could be the reason, although there are plenty of Southwest flights from Baltimore to Buffalo all day long.

Archived