Trade Deadline Moves

wonderbread

I think they still have to move someone else to get under the cap for Danny's return.

Unless I am missing something, they didn't even have to move these guys for cap room. They currently have $13 million in LTIR cap cushion to cover Briere (12/3-end of season, currently), Hatcher (season), Rathje (season), Jones (10/9-12/21) and Parent (10/9-12/28). If they brought Danny back today, they would lose that bonus for the last 46 days of the season, which works out to about $1.7 million ($6.5 million * 46/186.) Currently, they have $2.86 in cap space (including the LTIR cushion.) So, if they brought back Briere, they should still have $1.1 million left. Both Briere and Timonen are returning to the lineup, which I thought might explain the move (i.e., they are coming off LTIR/IR and need the roster spots), but even with those two, they only have 23 players. Hmm ...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268795&amp...s=topStory_main

Steve Begin to Dallas for Doug Janik. Janik has trade value. Who knew?

I'm not sure what Montreal was thinking when they made this trade. Isn't Begin the kind of guy you would want on your team come playoff time? They trade him for a blueliner who will be your #7 or #8 guy(unless they are relying on Janik to be in their top 6 and if that is the case they are really in trouble).

I'm not sure what Montreal was thinking when they made this trade. Isn't Begin the kind of guy you would want on your team come playoff time? They trade him for a blueliner who will be your #7 or #8 guy(unless they are relying on Janik to be in their top 6 and if that is the case they are really in trouble).

to think we may been able to have this guy in place of Paetsch.

Metropolit has been playing well recently... I think they still have to move someone else to get under the cap for Danny's return.

Waiving Metropolit? From what I've observed, he's normally a really decent player and not one that comes up in conversation as being "asleep at the wheel". I am a bit surprised at that.

Would it be worthwhile for us to pick him up, or would he put us over the cap?

Waiving Metropolit? From what I've observed, he's normally a really decent player and not one that comes up in conversation as being "asleep at the wheel". I am a bit surprised at that.

I was cruising a Flyers board and I think someone mentioned he clears 1 million from their cap but I really don't know.

We have $5.7 million in cap space (see here) and prorated over the remaining 46 days of the season (out of 186 total), his cap hit would be about $253k. So, I think we'd be OK cap-wise. ;)

We don't have really have a roster spot for him, though, and are expecting guys back off of IR.

Blue, I haven't looked at the numbers, but could it be a salary dump to make room for Lecavalier?

We have $5.7 million in cap space (see here) and prorated over the remaining 46 days of the season (out of 186 total), his cap hit would be about $253k. So, I think we'd be OK cap-wise. ;)

We don't have really have a roster spot for him, though, and are expecting guys back off of IR.

What can I say other than it was worth a shot? :)

Begin has been a healthy scratch for the last five games and "quietly" approached management about getting moved to a team where he could play regularly (as reported in video on TSN.ca.) They also said that Janik will likely go down to the AHL.

Blue, I haven't looked at the numbers, but could it be a salary dump to make room for Lecavalier?

Vinny has about $1.7 million left on his cap hit this season. Montreal has about $875k free and Begin's prorated cap loss is another $256k. They would still need to drop another $533k, which works out to a $2.2 million (season) cap player.

Archived