Trade Deadline Moves

wonderbread

Darcy has already tipped his hand.

"You know what the variables are," Regier said (to Bucky). "You just don't know how they're going to play out.... The marketplace hasn't been determined yet. It's still in a tire-kicking mode. The asking price for the few teams selling is pretty high right now. It hasn't settled out yet, and I'm not sure what that will mean going into the deadline..."

I mean, it's not like the Sabres are PART of the NHL. We don't participate in determining marketplaces. We sit back, and at 2:55 every deadline day, we understand it, it's just too late.

Darcy will always have a fallback position. I've said it before. Everyone surrounding the Sabres is too comfortable. Golisano's investment has multiplied. LQ got a piece of the action. Darcy is GM for life, and Lindy is along for the ride. The "core" got their nice long term deals. Everyone's comfortable, except the fans! As usual.

The better analogy with the Bills is that Sabre fans will also grow soft, sell out the arena every night and demand nothing in return, out of a deep seated fear the team is going to be pulled out from under them.

Great. Another year where the Sabres are shocked by the market place.

Great. Another year where the Sabres are shocked by the market place.

It's like being shocked that Mercedes are expensive.

"We just didn't know what to expect going into the dealership. We feel the MSRP is much too high for our purposes, so we're going to stick with the 07 Kias we bought which we hope will turn into worthwhile investments. We're also going to keep the 76 MG even though it breaks down all the time, it still has potential. And we're going to stock the rest of the team with Volkswagen Rabbits because they look neat. Only downside is they have no balls."

It's like being shocked that Mercedes are expensive.

"We just didn't know what to expect going into the dealership. We feel the MSRP is much too high for our purposes, so we're going to stick with the 07 Kias we bought which we hope will turn into worthwhile investments. We're also going to keep the 76 MG even though it breaks down all the time, it still has potential. And we're going to stock the rest of the team with Volkswagen Rabbits because they look neat. Only downside is they have no balls."

I will admit that I have been shocked each year that somebody has been willing to buy our old Toyotas and Hondas for Mercedes prices. That's not to say that we shouldn't have bought them for the much lower prices that they were available to us for, but there are some really stupid buyers out there.

I came here for updates and instead find conversations comparing the Bills and Sabres..... great.

The bottom line with the Sabres is that there has to be a market for our crap. There isn't, plain and simple. Maybe as the deadline nears, GM's will get ansy and make a call to Darcy just to say they did something. Odds are, though, Connolly will be the only guy moved come deadline.

Blaming Darcy for not making a move is ridiculous. He can't just force guys onto teams. Is it his fault we're in this position? O.K., sure. But focusing on the deadline, what are his options?? As much as I'd love a new bucket of pucks, nobody's going to part ways with a brand new pile of great looking pucks for a turnover machine, a headcase, a flimsy piece of paper, or a soft D man who can't pass, shoot, or stay out of the penalty box (Tallinder AND Lydman). Let's face it, we may be stuck with these guys until season's end.....

I came here for updates and instead find conversations comparing the Bills and Sabres..... great.

The bottom line with the Sabres is that there has to be a market for our crap. There isn't, plain and simple. Maybe as the deadline nears, GM's will get ansy and make a call to Darcy just to say they did something. Odds are, though, Connolly will be the only guy moved come deadline.

Blaming Darcy for not making a move is ridiculous. He can't just force guys onto teams. Is it his fault we're in this position? O.K., sure. But focusing on the deadline, what are his options?? As much as I'd love a new bucket of pucks, nobody's going to part ways with a brand new pile of great looking pucks for a turnover machine, a headcase, a flimsy piece of paper, or a soft D man who can't pass, shoot, or stay out of the penalty box (Tallinder AND Lydman). Let's face it, we may be stuck with these guys until season's end.....

We shouldn't blame Darcy for not trying to fix problems you admit he caused? :huh:

The Sabres problems aren't going to be fixed by Wednesday. Regier can surely get the process started by then. He doesn't need to clean house by the deadline but he can certainly get the smelliest pieces of garbage to the curb.

They want their top prospect playing in the NHL right now. He's been up for most of the season anyway, as he was just sent down in mid-february.

Why not go after a player like Turris? The Sabres have a hole at center throughout the organization. Maybe move some of the prospects on the back end to even out the depth a little.

Why not go after a player like Turris? The Sabres have a hole at center throughout the organization. Maybe move some of the prospects on the back end to even out the depth a little.

I think we're headed towards the no rumor stuff in the thread title with this comment, but I'll answer anyway. Why would Phoenix move him? He's the top guy in their system and then made sure to get him out of Wisconsin and into the big time as quick as possible. Not only that, he's young and cheap, something that they love with their current money problems.

On another note, Turris isn't the kind of guy you'd want to see here. He needs to bulk up quite a bit and has a reputation for being soft.

I think we're headed towards the no rumor stuff in the thread title with this comment, but I'll answer anyway. Why would Phoenix move him? He's the top guy in their system and then made sure to get him out of Wisconsin and into the big time as quick as possible. Not only that, he's young and cheap, something that they love with their current money problems.

On another note, Turris isn't the kind of guy you'd want to see here. He needs to bulk up quite a bit and has a reputation for being soft.

Not heading towards rumor, it's more of a question of the direction the front office should take.

My point wasn't specific to Turris. He was just the name mentioned above. The point I was trying to make is to maybe move a player from the Sabres strongest position at this point and convert it into a young center.

Not sure if this was posted: Havelid to NJ per TSN

The Atlanta Thrashers have traded defenceman Niclas Havelid to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for blueliner Anssi Salmela. The 35-year old Havelid is heading to his third NHL team in nine seasons, including five seasons with the Anaheim Ducks who drafted him in the 3rd round (83rd overall) in 1999

www.tsn.ca/nhl

Not sure if this was posted: Havelid to NJ per TSN

The Atlanta Thrashers have traded defenceman Niclas Havelid to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for blueliner Anssi Salmela. The 35-year old Havelid is heading to his third NHL team in nine seasons, including five seasons with the Anaheim Ducks who drafted him in the 3rd round (83rd overall) in 1999

www.tsn.ca/nhl

So you really didn't notice that it was mentioned one post before you? :unsure:

Brendan Morrison, a productive center in Vancouver for a long time before wrist/ACL injuries, has been placed on waivers. He's an interesting option, especially if they trade Timmy. Could he return to his old form? Certainly, he hasn't in Anaheim in his first full year back, but maybe it's a system problem more than anything. He's a UFA this summer, so the team could try him out for the rest of the year and see if he's a fit. Wouldn't cost much (roughly $660k in salary and a roster spot.)

LOL, Satan is also on waivers.

Archived