Game Discussion Thread: Sabres @ Flyers 2/19/09

nfreeman

That's actually how he pronounced his name before coming to the Sabres. When everyone started calling him "R-oi", he just :rolleyes: and said whatever. There was an interview where someone asked him about it and he said it wasn't a big deal, but confirmed that he is, in fact, Derek "W-ah", just Patrick Roy was Patrick "W-ah".

Why did you have to say anything? Now his prediction went from 5-2 to 4-2 and now to 3-2. Your making this a closer game. :ph34r:

nfreeman..."we"?? u dont play for the team. i hate when people refer to THEIR team as "we"

It (a peeve) is with me too... EXCEPT I will sometimes use "we" only with the Sabres... Really, not/never with the Bills. I can't relate to football (how it is and was marketed especially during the Bills SB days) as much as I do with the Sabres. The Sabres are truly "more" BFLO/S. ONT./WNY ( I will also count parts of Ohio/PA... :nana: )... So it is sometimes "we" for the Sabres. The only time I met a Sabre fan is a guy I work with and he is few years younger than me... He grew up on the South Side of Chicago and is a 'Hawks fan... He was also a huge Sabre fan when Mogilny defected... I attribute that little outside blip to being alienated from the 'Hawks by Wirtz back in the day... Even to this day, the Sabres hold a place in his heart. Now in football, and the Bills... You find theses "delocalized" mercenaries all over the NFL... :doh:

Anyway, keeping with tradition (mine for predicting doom!)... "We" get crushed tonight by the Cryers... Sabres look lazy and Miller's eye's rear up vengenance to do damage by letting in a couple softies! ;) ;)

Signed,

CassandraInIllinois

nfreeman..."we"?? u dont play for the team. i hate when people refer to THEIR team as "we"

I refer to all of my teams as if I played on them. I also refer to all the other fans as if they were also on the roster. It's like a continuation of "Us" and "Our" "We" team versus "Them" "Theirs" "They".

Individually, none of us have any real affect on the Sabres (we each have some marginal financial impact, at best), yet we spend so much time worrying about how they play or where they are in the standings. The "we" part comes from the fact that, in aggregate, we the fans are an integral and necessary part of the team. Without fans, the team does not exist, no matter how well the players perform. Really, though, it's just an extension of caring at all about how a team, for which you do not play, does. If you care, you've already extended your emotional investment beyond what your role on the team actually warrants.

Huge game tonight.

Not only in the standings,it also will show us how the Sabs stack up against one of the top teams in the conference. Philly's defense is there weak point,and i dont think they will be able to hang in a chess match with us.

The Sabs however can't afford to open up with the Fly boys. They easily have more offense than us. If we dont make smart decisons with the puck,this one will be over quickly. We need to sit back tonight and wait for the right chances to attack.

Having the Goose back should provide a spark. Hopefully hes not the only one throwing his weight around.Goose's return might stablize the PK. As his absence has been felt while a man down.

This is primetime for Paille to show some consistency. He had a great game tuesday. But with Goose back,it will be easy for him to take a step back. I dont think Lindy has alot of confidence in Paille yet. So he needs to show Ruff he can be worthy of more ice time. Two good back to back performances will be a nice start.

Miller seems due for a poor game,and i hope its not tonight. He played well against the Leafs and lets hope he doesn't start to burnout tonight.

Prediction:

Sabres:3

Philly:2

Philly-Buf, probably the games, of all games, I really enjoy watching.. Seems like there is always a subcurrent to these games. Last year, Buffalo saved Philly's season. This year, they put Philly into a tailspin. I predict an overconfident Phiily squad against a depleted, but spirited, Buffalo corp. My prediction, team that scores first, wins the game tonight. Why, just a hunch...

Labatt's record with the Sabres this year is like my all time record seeing the Sabres at Wachovia Center. I have not once gone to a Sabres game at Wachovia Center and been treated to a win. This includes both regular season and playoff games (yes, you can blame me for the Cryers tying up the series 2-2 back in the 05-06 playoffs and thank me for NOT going to the 7-1 series clincher).

I won't be there tonight, so the Sabres will win. :thumbsup:

Peters in for Kaleta. UGH!

:death:

Why?

Cause it's Philly.. One could legitimately ask why Kaleta isn't in for Hecht... Sure there is that lefty-righty-thingy... But Hecht is nearly invisible on the ice... Use to be that no one could muscle the puck away from him... Now, not so much...

Individually, none of us have any real affect on the Sabres (we each have some marginal financial impact, at best), yet we spend so much time worrying about how they play or where they are in the standings. The "we" part comes from the fact that, in aggregate, we the fans are an integral and necessary part of the team. Without fans, the team does not exist, no matter how well the players perform. Really, though, it's just an extension of caring at all about how a team, for which you do not play, does. If you care, you've already extended your emotional investment beyond what your role on the team actually warrants.

I'd like to think that my very loud booing of Gerbe each time he touched the puck back over Christmas against the Caps played a large role in him not scoring a single goal with the Sabres.

I'd like to think that my very loud booing of Gerbe each time he touched the puck back over Christmas against the Caps played a large role in him not scoring a single goal with the Sabres.

C'mon Shrades, why would you boo him. His scoring could have been used for good, not evil.!

Cause it's Philly.. One could legitimately ask why Kaleta isn't in for Hecht... Sure there is that lefty-righty-thingy... But Hecht is nearly invisible on the ice... Use to be that no one could muscle the puck away from him... Now, not so much...

True about Hecht, but maybe if Lindy can find a place for him instead of juggling him around, maybe Hecht can play with a little more consistency and produce.

Peters :wallbash: :wallbash:

Archived