Game Discussion Thread: Sabres @ Flyers 2/19/09

nfreeman

I've defended Ruff all season when people would question if he'd been here too long, shuffling lines, etc.

If Kaleta wasn't out due to something serious like a Severed Soul, Lucy will have some "'splainin" to do......

I can name 5-6 guys right off the bat who should have been sitting instead of him, namely the 3 shifter who played for him. I don't get this one, and we may not have won the game with him in, but dammit, it just doesn't make sense. Why play Hecht?? Why play the General??

And please, if any of you locals see Lydman at a bar or a Natural Foods Store or wherever the F%#@ he hangs out, please for all of us, kick him in his D%#@ and remind him he's a man!!!!

I'm done now, and sorry if I offended anyone. WE won't be making the playoffs if these things continue, and the fans shouldn't be the only ones picking up on these things. We aren't paid to do so......

Because they have more talent.

A lot of good points already made. I was at the game and it was there for the taking.

Sabres played just poorly enough at times to lose. The final score was not indicative of the sabres being that much worse than Philly.

Rumors of the Flyers trying to get Khababulin floating here--not sure how with the salary ramifications (and Briere set to come back).

I am mistified at how poorly Hecht played. Miller clearly misplayed the puck on the second goal against, but Hecht HAD to get the puck out before coughing it up. HAD to. He has absolutely no confidence with the puck on his stick. Sad to see.

Not sure how much ice Connolly had to make up on the Richards SH but looked like he let up at the end.

Injuries have complicated things but I'd really like to see some consistency on the lines. No cohesiveness.

Kotalik, Paille, Roy, Spacek, Stafford were playing well with and without the puck.

Vanek cannot come back soon enough.

Philly fans were outraged with the refs (shocker), but the non-call on Roy getting hauled down and Lydman's phantom hook evened things out, at least from what I saw.

Why was Kaleta not dressed? I recall Peters on the ice twice.

No one was able to get in Marty's face.

Not a great game for Connolly, but man the guy is slick with the puck. Stafford also showed some shifty moves.

All-in-all, a very tough loss but I didn't walk away thinking the Sabres were outclassed by any means.

Agreed. Consistency is the biggest killer for the Sabs. We've seen it all season. From the early start,to the failure to maintain the streak. All the way up to last fridays almost disaster against the sharks. Lets just hope it doesnt take another late season let down for them to find that consistency.

I dont think the Flyers are much of a deadly team,but like you say,our glaring errors handed them the win.

How they bounce back from this one dictates the rest of their season in my opinion. If they play strong against the Rangers (all game!) then we may be okay for the stretch and sneak in. If they play another sloppy one, however, I think they are just about done. They can no longer afford to take shifts off - you would think they know that by now.

Flyers second goal was all on Hecht. He had the puck 5 feet from the blue line and what does he do? He tries to skate it out and the end of an already long shift. What happens? An eternity in the zone and a Coburn goal. Nice going Joker. I'm officially tired of Hecht now.

Hecht was trying to skate it out so he could dump the puck and get the change. Perhaps icing the puck might have changed things a bit (would've given them an extra 10 seconds to rest), but I don't fault him for trying to get a legitimate clear-out.

How they bounce back from this one dictates the rest of their season in my opinion. If they play strong against the Rangers (all game!) then we may be okay for the stretch and sneak in. If they play another sloppy one, however, I think they are just about done. They can no longer afford to take shifts off - you would think they know that by now.

You are going to decide the season based on one game when there are 22 more to play after tonight? :blink: What you have seen for the last two years is pretty much what you are going to get the rest of the season. Up and down efforts with the occasional game where they really look good. Poor play in their own end. Numeorus games where they only play for 20 minutes or so. Ultra soft defense. Goaltending which can be great at times and very average at others. Etc, etc, etc...

If I had to guess, the Sabres will finish the season with somewhere around 88-92 points(which means they will play the rest of the season around .500) and whether they make the playoffs will be dependent on Pittsburgh or Carolina getting their act together.

I just don't think .500 hockey down the stretch is going to get it done. The Rangers and Habs probably will make moves to halt their free falls. Since they started 2009 4-0 the Sabres have been win 1 lose 1 win 2 lose 2 over the last 18 games. At some point the Sabres need to put together a stretch were they make a push for a playoff spot instead of hoping one falls to them.

Yep. 9-8-1 last 18 games.

Rivet looked like a circa 2006 Philly pylon last night.

This guy goes to the bench in agony more often than any Sabre I can remember.

You are going to decide the season based on one game when there are 22 more to play after tonight? :blink: What you have seen for the last two years is pretty much what you are going to get the rest of the season. Up and down efforts with the occasional game where they really look good. Poor play in their own end. Numeorus games where they only play for 20 minutes or so. Ultra soft defense. Goaltending which can be great at times and very average at others. Etc, etc, etc...

Have to agree, I don't see what more we can really expect from these guys.

Player by player, this just isn't a very scary hockey team by any means, and I should think the fact that we are where we are at this moment is a positive surprise to most people?

I've pretty much come to terms with what we have, and I realise that if there are to be made moves to make this team better, these will be long term moves, i.e. unloading dead wood for picks, the occasional free agent replacing a retired/unrestricted player, etc.

It's a shame we weren't able to keep the momentum of 05-06 and 06-07 going a little longer than we did, but the new NHL is gone and both Briere and Drury are having problems with their new teams, so in hindsight maybe getting rid of them was the right thing to do, even if management did drop the ball on them?

We'll get better eventually, but for now, this team has too many faceless players who are not all that offensively gifted but not completely bad either, not overly defensive-minded or physical but not completely bad in their own end either, and ONE maybe-to-be star forward. The current Sabres are just too "vanilla" to be any better than 8th in this conference. Not all that great, but not all that bad either.

So is the cup half-empty or half-full? Well, it's half-something.

*edit

06-07 of course, not 07-08

Why was Kaleta not dressed? I recall Peters on the ice twice.

I'm begging anyone for information on why Peters is even on the roster anymore....and please spare me the "good locker room presence" garbage. He does nothing for this team.

All-in-all, a very tough loss but I didn't walk away thinking the Sabres were outclassed by any means.

Agreed. Some poor plays that led to goals, but they answered Philly three times and kept in the game. I knew this one would be tough and I was praying they'd make it through the 3rd tied...I would have been happy with a point.

But it's time to step things up now. Yet another huge game on Saturday.

Have to agree, I don't see what more we can really expect from these guys.

Player by player, this just isn't a very scary hockey team by any means, and I should think the fact that we are where we are at this moment is a positive surprise to most people?

I've pretty much come to terms with what we have, and I realise that if there are to be made moves to make this team better, these will be long term moves, i.e. unloading dead wood for picks, the occasional free agent replacing a retired/unrestricted player, etc.

It's a shame we weren't able to keep the momentum of 05-06 and 07-08 going a little longer than we did, but the new NHL is gone and both Briere and Drury are having problems with their new teams, so in hindsight maybe getting rid of them was the right thing to do, even if management did drop the ball on them?

We'll get better eventually, but for now, this team has too many faceless players who are not all that offensively gifted but not completely bad either, not overly defensive-minded or physical but not completely bad in their own end either, and ONE maybe-to-be star forward. The current Sabres are just too "vanilla" to be any better than 8th in this conference. Not all that great, but not all that bad either.

So is the cup half-empty or half-full? Well, it's half-something.

Yep.

And it still beats watching basketball.

Hecht was trying to skate it out so he could dump the puck and get the change. Perhaps icing the puck might have changed things a bit (would've given them an extra 10 seconds to rest), but I don't fault him for trying to get a legitimate clear-out.

He should have sent it out cross ice, between the defensemen and off the far side board (hitting somewhere around the intersection with the Flyers' blue line.) Basically, taking the long path so that they avoid icing, but by all means getting it out of the zone, so that they could change. Very common and smart play.

They are, far and away, the most deadline team shorthanded. Tonight's SH goal was their 15th of the season (second against us.) You could add the two EN goals since they were down a skater (6-on-5) and, even if there were a goalie, Richards would have had a breakaway on the first one. Not making excuses; just pointing out on area where they are deadly.

I should of rephrased that. I dont feel there very deadly 5 on 5. I think there defense is soft and they have average goaltending. There offense however,is among the most potent in the east. And that covers up the weak d.

I should of rephrased that. I dont feel there very deadly 5 on 5. I think there defense is soft and they have average goaltending. There offense however,is among the most potent in the east. And that covers up the weak d.

Their second tier guys are scoring unlike Pommer, Hecht et al.

Their defense isn't much different than ours.

Afraid Miller may be showing signs of springing leaks from overuse again.

Archived