Game Discussion Thread: Sabres @ Flyers 2/19/09

nfreeman

Already 8:07 AM and no one has started the GDT? Don't mind if I do! A few thoughts:

1. I still hate the Flyers.

2. I expect Miller tonight.

3. Since we're playing a good team, and we're on the road, I expect the boys to come out playing hard and pretty well. If Miller plays well and the D plays solid, we should be able to stay in it.

4. Looks like Marty will play tonight -- after losing the starting job to Nittimaki, Nitty got the flu and Marty won the past 2 games.

5. I expect Gaustad to come out skating and hitting. I'd like to see him on the 3rd line with Hecht and Kaleta.

Go Sabres.

I think this is our first "gauge" game in a while. Even though that Hurricane game SHOULD have been one, I just had a feeling they would come out flat. This one feels different as the Goose returns and the Flyers are a pretty solid team. I think the direction this team takes will be a reflection on the effort tonight (win or lose).

Let's at least get a point tonight and leave it on the ice. I plan on buying two tickets for Saturday night IF and ONLY IF I see good effort tonight.

let's go boys.....

nfreeman..."we"?? u dont play for the team. i hate when people refer to THEIR team as "we"

While it is a pet peeve of mine as well, I'm not going to come to a message board and harp on how people relate to their team. At the very least you could have put this in the complaint thread.

I think this is our first "gauge" game in a while. Even though that Hurricane game SHOULD have been one, I just had a feeling they would come out flat. This one feels different as the Goose returns and the Flyers are a pretty solid team. I think the direction this team takes will be a reflection on the effort tonight (win or lose).

Let's at least get a point tonight and leave it on the ice. I plan on buying two tickets for Saturday night IF and ONLY IF I see good effort tonight.

let's go boys.....

Since you beat me to posting those thoughts I then just second the mentions. :thumbsup:

I am really axious to see how we handle tonight and Saturday. It will tell me if this team is really getting ready for the playoff's. Short of bad bounces or phenonemal plays by the other team their is no excuse not being ready for this game. Given similar records and talent levels not much separates the teams as evidenced by point totals, this should be a good close game. (However No Vanek does suck more for us then no Briere does for them).

With a win we leapfrog Montreal and tie the Rangers who we play Saturday and then we get to see the drama continue to unfold part duece.

This is going to be a real wild and fun finish to the season with all the games we have left with the teams we are jockeying with for 4th through 10th place. Time to start to separate the contender's from the pretender's, what's it gonna be boys :rolleyes: ..... Man I love the smell of hockey playoff's in the air :wub:

nfreeman..."we"?? u dont play for the team. i hate when people refer to THEIR team as "we"

13 posts since '05 (ok, maybe you lost a couple in the great board crash of '07) and you take the time to make this one?

But anyway, hey look, I actually get to watch this one tonight. I'm still not sure whether or not that's a good thing.

One for Derek Wa.

That's actually how he pronounced his name before coming to the Sabres. When everyone started calling him "R-oi", he just :rolleyes: and said whatever. There was an interview where someone asked him about it and he said it wasn't a big deal, but confirmed that he is, in fact, Derek "W-ah", just like Patrick Roy was Patrick "W-ah".

As for tonight, I went to the clunker that they pitched against Philly back in late November at HSBC. I'm really hope this game makes up for it in terms of effort. This will be a tough one to win with full effort, but at least make a game of it; don't roll over for them like the last game.

Defense absolutely needs to step up and limit Philly's offensive weapons. If they can manage that and put together some good scoring changes on Marty, who has lost his starting job to an ill Nittymaki (sp?), I see very good things happening for US tonight.

I have no words for this. You come onto a game day thread and basically try to insult someone that is passionate about their team. Perhaps you should be posting on the Flyers board.

That's actually how he pronounced his name before coming to the Sabres. When everyone started calling him "R-oi", he just :rolleyes: and said whatever. There was an interview where someone asked him about it and he said it wasn't a big deal, but confirmed that he is, in fact, Derek "W-ah", just Patrick Roy was Patrick "W-ah".

As for tonight, I went to the clunker that they pitched against Philly back in late November at HSBC. I'm really hope this game makes up for it in terms of effort. This will be a tough one to win with full effort, but at least make a game of it; don't roll over for them like the last game.

As I recall, Sabres had a lot of shots in November but they were all poor quality/bad angle shots. The effort wasn't there. I'd like to see the muckers come up big and crash the net a bit. Marty used to get rattled by this.

The three biggest differences between these teams as I see it: Philly's deep pockets, Philly's secondary scorers have stepped up while Buffalo's have not in large part, goaltending (the only edge Bflo currently holds). That said, a W for the Sabres gets them very close in the standings.

Special Teams will decide the game tonight IMO and suddenly, I'm very concerned about the PK.

Look for me screaming at that punk Hartnell.

I tried Center Ice last night and I didn't have a free preview. It just said the usual "to order this channel ..."

Worked for me. Only one game a night in HD with TWC in the Buffalo area. I would totally pay the money if all the games were in HD, in SD it not worth it at all.

And why wasn't the Montreal/Caps game?

EDIT: I need to proofread. That was pathetic.

Special Teams will decide the game tonight IMO and suddenly, I'm very concerned about the PK.

Having Goose back should help both sides of the special teams. Stafford has certainly been progressing nicely in the net-front PP position, but having two capable players (Ellis did OK, but he's no Goose) will help a lot. Also, Goose has been one of our best PKers this season.

Archived