GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:00pm

They won one against a team that they had to look up at, now win one against a team that you look down at. If the Sabres are "for real" they've gotta win tonight and go 2-0 on the weekend. I'm not to the absolute point of confidence with these guys yet, but I do believe that they can win against a terrible senators team. Is there anyone out that has a problem with the ellis, paetsch, mair line? Bueller? Bueller? I really hope that Regier pulls off a great trade with the forward glut that this team has. There's absolutely zero reason to have so many good skaters and not pull off a decent deal. I know it was one game, but if paetsch does well playing forward, where does that leave him in the depth chart? Does he just switch to forward from here on out? These are good arguments to have.

I stated in yesterday's GDT that lalime should get a start just to keep the rotation going. Well, I still think that. However, Ruff will probably go with Miller and start Lalime wednesday. He's a guy that really needs to get a good win and play well. He really hasn't shown much since he's been here, which is too bad, because the Sabres haven't had a decent backup goalie in 3 years now. Either way, I forsee another victory tonight! LETS GO BUFFALO!

I think you will see Lalime tonight. Miller had a pretty active night last night facing 30+ shots...

My confidence is ever growing in this team. I have no doubt those injuries to the defense along with Lindy's coaching have gotten this team playing the type of hockey they were playing as the season got started. A prime example was last night when MSG spotlighted Timmy C's excellent backchecking. And he is not the only one, all of the forwards are getting back to help on D, and turning it into opportunites up the ice. They didn't have their best offensive game last night and still pulled one out against a good hockey club. If they can play like that in front on Lalime and turn up the Offense a bit, I see another good night on the horizon! GO SABRES!!!

While tonight's game isn't a 'statement' game, I contend that sweeping Ottawa in the next two is mandatory for team pysche. Time to excise the ghost of past failures against this club. I saw Boston-Ottawa the other day. Boston needed a 4-minute minor by Vermette in the last four minutes to tie Ottawa. Ottawa was down 2-0 and was leading late 3-2 until the penalty. The big three were stoned by Thomas in the SO and Boston eventually prevailed. So Ottawa is still fighting. Time to bury these guys.

Like I said in yesterday's GDT, this is a difficult game for the Sabres and they have to win it. I don't care if Ottawa is the worst team in the NHL, they always play the Sabres tough and we just have little luck against them. The Sens could have absolutely no one on their team, but with the big 3, they can generate enough offense to win a game. It is absolutely imperative for the Sabres to shut down the big 3 tonight. If I'm Lindy, I try to match up the Hecht-Kaleta line against the big 3 all night as much as possible and try to get the murderer to take a stupid penalty against Kaleta. This is a must win game if Buffalo is a legitimate playoff team. There is no reason for the Sabres to lose tonight, and they should not as long as they play frustrating, physical, and within the defensive system.

While tonight's game isn't a 'statement' game, I contend that sweeping Ottawa in the next two is mandatory for team pysche. Time to excise the ghost of past failures against this club. I saw Boston-Ottawa the other day. Boston needed a 4-minute minor by Vermette in the last four minutes to tie Ottawa. Ottawa was down 2-0 and was leading late 3-2 until the penalty. The big three were stoned by Thomas in the SO and Boston eventually prevailed. So Ottawa is still fighting. Time to bury these guys.

Couldn't have said it better myself so I cheated within the rules of course, kinda like Ruutu's game time snacks on other players which is my way of leading into the interesting sideshow to tonights rematch between Biter and bitee(peter's).

Given Ottawa's history of playing nasty with us, whether I agree or not I think Lindy plays Peter's albeit more of the appetizer role not a main course, Lets' hope new coach Clouston has Ruutu on a diet. :rolleyes:

I agree this is a statement game in few curious ways;

-The history between the teams and level of play that almost always transpires(we just never seem to have an easy time of it).

-Our recent poor history in the second of back 2 backs.

-Whats Lindy going to do with his goalie call tonight(Personnaly I'm voting for lalime and the start of a regular rotation here the players can adjust too/expect and play around down the stretch run).

-How we handle teams we should beat however I say that with a caveat as Ottawa has been playing better for the new coach and still has plenty of talent and will not be a pushover IMO and therefore not to be taken lightly.

So im not expecting a buffet blowout tonight but more along the lines of a light dinner / nice tight road game however I'm still not convinced we have quite arrived as a team.

So if lalime plays I could see it going 4-3 Bflo or ottawa, If miller I go with last nights 3-2 Bflo. However i really crave a Buffet Buffalo blowout against these bums...

Anyone know if Sekera is back tonight? Otherwise, I'm hoping for same lineup as last night; conservation of greatness (well not that great, but lots of guys got their jobs done vs. Montreal).

DO NOT play Peters. That is all.

Yes, hoping for Lalime. Miller has been great, and we don't want to burn him out. Get Lalime in the regular rotation etc. etc. etc.

Last night, I was impressed again by the D's play in front of Miller. I feel like in Oct-Dec, lots of those rebounds would be scooped up by the opposing offense, but lately (maybe since Rivet's back?) I haven't been as nervous. Miller has been freakin' sweet too.

I'd like to see a couple PP goals, it has been great in recent games.

Go Sabres!

Anyone know if Sekera is back tonight? Otherwise, I'm hoping for same lineup as last night; conservation of greatness (well not that great, but lots of guys got their jobs done vs. Montreal).

DO NOT play Peters. That is all.

Yes, hoping for Lalime. Miller has been great, and we don't want to burn him out. Get Lalime in the regular rotation etc. etc. etc.

Last night, I was impressed again by the D's play in front of Miller. I feel like in Oct-Dec, lots of those rebounds would be scooped up by the opposing offense, but lately (maybe since Rivet's back?) I haven't been as nervous. Miller has been freakin' sweet too.

I'd like to see a couple PP goals, it has been great in recent games.

Go Sabres!

Nah, I say let's put Miller out there. We've got a 3-day rest after this game, and you gotta go with the hot hand as they say. Miller's allowed 2 goals in 3 games, so I say you stick with him.

Nah, I say let's put Miller out there. We've got a 3-day rest after this game, and you gotta go with the hot hand as they say. Miller's allowed 2 goals in 3 games, so I say you stick with him.

According to sabres.com, it sounds like you'll get your wish.

Edit: Oops. In checking out the site, I just scanned the home page, which has some blurb about Miller being the likely starter. I assumed that was some official team info. But in reading the linked article, it's from the AP. So now all bets are off.

Ottawa is always tough for us, whether they are vying for the PT or the draft lottery. Control their top line -- always know when they are on the ice and where they are at every moment -- and exploit their questionable defense/goaltending. Do that and avoid getting sucked into Ruutu/Neil's head games, and they'll have a great chance of winning. Otherwise, it will be difficult, at best.

Ottawa is always tough for us, whether they are vying for the PT or the draft lottery. Control their top line -- always know when they are on the ice and where they are at every moment -- and exploit their questionable defense/goaltending. Do that and avoid getting sucked into Ruutu/Neil's head games, and they'll have a great chance of winning. Otherwise, it will be difficult, at best.

Yup, everytime we let Neil control the game, we lose.

He's a nobody hockeywise - Treat him like one.

I'm pumped for tonights game. The Sabres seem to be playing w/ the type of confidence they had before the 07/08 season. Hockey, as w/ any other sport, is 90% mental and 10% physical. You HAVE to believe in your self and the Sabres seem to be doing that. I'm loving the defense right now. Miller said one of the reasons, if not the main reason, he stayed was the future players he knew he would be playing w/. That future is slowly becoming the present. The Sabres could be back to "scary good" in another year or two.

Kick some ass tonight Buffalo! :w00t:

I'm pumped for tonights game. The Sabres seem to be playing w/ the type of confidence they had before the 07/08 season. Hockey, as w/ any other sport, is 90% mental and 10% physical. You HAVE to believe in your self and the Sabres seem to be doing that. I'm loving the defense right now. Miller said one of the reasons, if not the main reason, he stayed was the future players he knew he would be playing w/. That future is slowly becoming the present. The Sabres could be back to "scary good" in another year or two.

Kick some ass tonight Buffalo! :w00t:

I understand and agree with your point, but I think the guys on the ice might beg to differ that hockey is 10% physical :lol:

There are few things I like better than beating the Maple Leafs. Beating the Canadiens is one of them. There are VERY few things I like better than beating the Canadiens. Beating the Senators is one of them. Let's do it boys!!!!

Beating the Senators in back-to-back games is another...

But nothing beats beating them a short-handed goal to eliminate them from the playoffs...

Beating the Senators in back-to-back games is another...

But nothing beats beating them a short-handed goal to eliminate them from the playoffs...

That's a Sabres moment I'll never forget. I wish my daughter, only 15 months old, could've witnessed that. I have the same feelings about the Drury goal against the Rangers.

She's going to be a die hard Sabres fan. It's kind of a unwritten Hanes family rule. Watching Sabres hockey w/ her when she can understand the game is some thing I can't wait for!

That's a Sabres moment I'll never forget. I wish my daughter, only 15 months old, could've witnessed that. I have the same feelings about the Drury goal against the Rangers.

She's going to be a die hard Sabres fan. It's kind of a unwritten Hanes family rule. Watching Sabres hockey w/ her when she can understand the game is some thing I can't wait for!

All the way down in Magnolia, only in America... :thumbsup:

Now you just need a few rinks down there for her to skate and play on.

Archived