Stafford

Buffalo Fan

This thread is mind numbing.

The guy has been on fire for the last 2+ months and plays his best game of the season last night, so today we conclude the guy is over confident, chokes under pressure, and should be traded at the deadline?

Holy crap.

Now that my brain has recovered, a response:

1) He certainly doesn't appear to lack confidence but personally, I think that's a good thing. Dan Paille clearly has lost his confidence and it's made him invisible.

2) The premise that he doesn't do well under pressure is totally wrong, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you've seen to give you that impression but your perception is way off on this one.

The shoot out is probably the most pressure-packed non-playoff situation there is and his record is excellent in that. He also played well as a rookie in the playoffs. He scored big goals in crunch time against the Rangers in the playoffs that year as well as the game winning goal late against Toronto in the big come back game that year.

3) Stafford is exactly the kind of player we need to build around. Guys with size and skill aren't all that plentiful and we're not exactly stocked with that type of player.

Not too exasperated...well maybe a little. I just find it funny that the day after a blowout win we have threads contemplating dumping two of our younger players, including one who had a hat trick the night before.

I think being stuck in the house is starting to get to me...

For the record it's only three.

When life gives you snow, build a snowman. And I can't wait for Thursday to complain that I can't write my name in the snow.

I just read an article on Fox about overconfident kids so maybe that's what got me thinking about this guy....

He seems to do really well in spots that aren't too pressure packed. i.e. the hatrick last night in a 10-2 blowout against a rookie goaltender. I think it is time to fish or cut bait with this guy...maybe he should be the guy to move at the trade deadline. Thoughts?

Miro Satan-syndrome :unsure:

Agreed, trade....considering he has spent alot of time with Vanek & Roy.

Stafford is always only going to be a 40-50 pt guy in my opinion. He's a younger version of Jochen Hecht more or less. So if Darcy can get a return that will be better than that; he should definitely think about a trade.

This thread is mind numbing.

The guy has been on fire for the last 2+ months and plays his best game of the season last night, so today we conclude the guy is over confident, chokes under pressure, and should be traded at the deadline?

Holy crap.

Now that my brain has recovered, a response:

1) He certainly doesn't appear to lack confidence but personally, I think that's a good thing. Dan Paille clearly has lost his confidence and it's made him invisible.

2) The premise that he doesn't do well under pressure is totally wrong, in my opinion. I'm not sure what you've seen to give you that impression but your perception is way off on this one.

The shoot out is probably the most pressure-packed non-playoff situation there is and his record is excellent in that. He also played well as a rookie in the playoffs. He scored big goals in crunch time against the Rangers in the playoffs that year as well as the game winning goal late against Toronto in the big come back game this year.

3) Stafford is exactly the kind of player we need to build around. Guys with size and skill aren't all that plentiful and we're not exactly stocked with that type of player.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not committedly advocating for the trade of such a fine young stud. And no, I'm not sure exactly what I would expect in return other than results. As a discussion, I brought the topic up. There's not enough room on my back for all 3 of you, so please take easy. I do think at this point there is a fine line between the tradable and the untradable. To that end just about anyone is up for discussion.

I just read an article on Fox about overconfident kids so maybe that's what got me thinking about this guy....

He seems to do really well in spots that aren't too pressure packed. i.e. the hatrick last night in a 10-2 blowout against a rookie goaltender. I think it is time to fish or cut bait with this guy...maybe he should be the guy to move at the trade deadline. Thoughts?

I've liked his game in the last month.

I think moving him away from Vanek was prudent. They play in the same space, while playing slightly different games, I don't think Drew functions well with Vanek. Not to mention Timmy has been a big plus.

But isn't he playing on the top line with Vanek and Connolly?

BTW: Connolly led all centers in ice time last night. You wanted a top-2 center? Well, here he is. Enjoy him while he stays in the lineup, folks.

BTW: Connolly led all centers in ice time last night. You wanted a top-2 center? Well, here he is. Enjoy him while he stays in the lineup, folks.

You beat me to it but with a self proclaimed "hot wife", who can blame Ink for missing it.

Anyone that doesn't see Connolly's value to this team is blind. Dude changes the entire lineup when he's healthy. What a talent. He just needs to stay healthy, and that's the biggest problem.

I have no problem with him being on our team, I just wish he could stay healthy.

Complain about his health and his contract all you want; he's on the team and he's not going anywhere this season because nobody will take him. Hopefully the Sabres can sign him for a much more reasonable rate in the off season.

Anyone that doesn't see Connolly's value to this team is blind. Dude changes the entire lineup when he's healthy. What a talent. He just needs to stay healthy, and that's the biggest problem.

I have no problem with him being on our team, I just wish he could stay healthy.

Complain about his health and his contract all you want; he's on the team and he's not going anywhere this season because nobody will take him. Hopefully the Sabres can sign him for a much more reasonable rate in the off season.

Everyone here knows his value when he plays. Our frustration is he barely plays half the games. We would all love to have a healthy Connolly on this team.

Everyone here knows his value when he plays. Our frustration is he barely plays half the games. We would all love to have a healthy Connolly on this team.

Just give him the same bubble-rap pads that they gave Roy after he got injured last year, for his whole body that is and we can hope for the best. I mean what's the worst that could happen?

post-1428-1233188559_thumbjpg

And as for Stafford being overconfident, whether it's being overconfident or cocky, you can't argue with the way he has been playing. He is trade bait but I'd put money on it if he stays with the team long term we will eventually see an 'A' on his shoulder. Hell, he'd probably end up with one on most teams if he got traded.

'

Exactly (to nucci.) BuffalOhio, you are confusing complaints about his value to the team with complaints about his value to this team when he is healthy. Very few really complain about the latter. It's the former that every one complains about. He is worth absolutely nothing when he is out injured. Less than nothing actually, since he takes up cap space, a roster spot and most importantly, keeps Darcy from looking to acquire another top-two center. Take any player in the league and he isn't worth a dime if he's out injured.

You beat me to it but with a self proclaimed "hot wife", who can blame Ink for missing it.

I meant to say, he needs to play with Vanek, their games compliment each other so well. :unsure:

(I'm just going to keep my fat mouth shut, and my wife is hot)

One of the reasons I like Stafford:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and for those of you that don't think fighting is part of hockey, try to hold back after your teammate gets a shot like that (legal or not)

If I'm Darcy, I'm willing to trade anyone if I am getting someone better in return.

Generally, I'd say that's completely true. Nobody is ever truly untouchable. Some guys, you'd hate to see go, because they've been with the team so long and you like them as a player. For me, I like Roy and Gaustad as players, and would probably consider their value higher than what they would actually command in a trade. However, if the Red Wings said Datsyuk for Roy, straight up, I'd miss him, but he'd be on a plane to Detroit so fast it would make his head spin.

The real question is more what you feel a particular player is worth going forward, especially when either (a) his value is based a lot on "potential" or "intangibles", or (b) he's getting to the point where age may start to adversely effect his game. Will Stafford continue to grow and eventually be a star forward, in which case trading him should only be for similar potential or a proven player, or will he plateau as a decent forward that could be replace, if necessary, by someone coming up in the system, so that he could be traded for a decent player that fills a role needed now?

I said earlier that I put him as a 40-50 pt ranger (probably should have said 45-55 pointer; but in my mind 40-50 could be 49-59). I have no problem with that. I like Stafford and will be quite happy if he stays a Sabre for a long time if he keeps up at that range.

Maybe, as long as he has the right linemates, he is able to be a consistent 50-60 ranger. Sure, nothing to complain about if he keeps that up! If he gets into to 70-80 point range then I am more then happy.

But I'll still trade him today if I can get someone I know will be a consistent 80 pointer.

I would just like to say that Hecht would never score a goal like Stafford scored against Toronto.

Neither would Miller. :nana:

Seriously, though, that's not Hecht's game. In the last year and a half, Hecht has 300+ minutes of SHTOI; Drew has less than 6. Drew is a goal scorer; that's what they brought him in to do. Hecht is a two-way forward. Prior to this year, he was the best penalty killer on the team. He grinds, he gets ugly "junk" goals and has enough talent to contribute on a second-line. Totally different guys. Besides, if Stafford starts making that type of goal on a regular basis, he will demand a lot more money than Hecht is being paid. I hope that are able to get him relatively cheaply this summer (or sooner) before he has totally proven his consistency, because if/when he does, his price will go way up.

It does seem Stafford has snapped out of the funk he was in, but I think anyone could get hot on a line with Vanek and a healthy Connolly.

True, but he started his hot streak long before Connolly returned. I don't remember exactly when he was moved to the line with Connolly and Vanek, but in the 19 games before Connolly even returned to the lineup, Drew had 19 points. In the next two, where Connolly was still on the bottom lines getting back up to speed, he added another two points. In fact, since those two games, with Connolly actually playing his natural position, Drew has only 8 points in 10 games. So, he's actually slipped from his point-per-game pace*. ;)

* Note: he has 6 points in his last 5 games, 5 of which were goals, so I am totally kidding.

Archived