Stafford

Buffalo Fan

If this team is going anywhere, it is because guys like Stafford are playing up to their ability. His inconsistent play and lack of production last year really hurt the team, and I am glad to see him return to form. I really like how he consistenly goes to the net and and his abilty to create space for his linemates. I doubt Drew is trade bait because I see him as one of the guys we are going to build around. I advocated trading him earlier in the year if we could pick up an impact player but that is not how the Sabres do business, so our fortunes are going to rise and fall on guys like Stafford emerging to the forefront of the team.

True, but he started his hot streak long before Connolly returned. I don't remember exactly when he was moved to the line with Connolly and Vanek, but in the 19 games before Connolly even returned to the lineup, Drew had 19 points. In the next two, where Connolly was still on the bottom lines getting back up to speed, he added another two points. In fact, since those two games, with Connolly actually playing his natural position, Drew has only 8 points in 10 games. So, he's actually slipped from his point-per-game pace*. ;)

* Note: he has 6 points in his last 5 games, 5 of which were goals, so I am totally kidding.

Good post. Connolly's return has really helped the team, but Stafford's emergence is an independent occurrence that has also really helped. I was as down on him as anyone, but right now he looks like a terrific young forward and a potential 30-goal man.

If this team is going anywhere, it is because guys like Stafford are playing up to their ability. His inconsistent play and lack of production last year really hurt the team, and I am glad to see him return to form. I really like how he consistenly goes to the net and and his abilty to create space for his linemates. I doubt Drew is trade bait because I see him as one of the guys we are going to build around. I advocated trading him earlier in the year if we could pick up an impact player but that is not how the Sabres do business, so our fortunes are going to rise and fall on guys like Stafford emerging to the forefront of the team.

Another good post.

Stafford is not going anywhere. He's one of our young pieces this team will build around. Stafford is becoming a legit stud in this league. He has 27points, in 27 games, including 11 goals. It's easy to say, that anyone is untouchable for the right trade, but let's think realistically. There is no Spezza for Stafford deal on the table. There is no player on any of the teams who are going to be sellers that would warrant a Stafford, including Jay Bo because he'd leave at the end of the season. If any young player is dealt, it'd be Paille, because his main benefit for the team is his speed and defensive ability, and well, we are loaded with defensive forwards, like Pominville who are very sound in our own end. And players in Portland have been PK kings, like Timmy Kennedy in MSU.. not sure if he plays PK or how he's doing on it in Portland though. I don't even see them trading MacArthur.

They have a boat load of small forwards with high potential... Gerbe, Ennis and Byron. They gotta unload atleast one of those at the deadline or the draft IMO.

They have a boat load of small forwards with high potential... Gerbe, Ennis and Byron. They gotta unload atleast one of those at the deadline or the draft IMO.

I agree that DR is unlikely to let Stafford go without a fight. I think if we do anything it'll be a package deal, and Gerbe will be part of the package.

Stafford is not going anywhere.
I agree that DR is unlikely to let Stafford go without a fight.

What if Stafford end up with a goal total in the mid to high 20's. You don't think a GM would throw 30-40 million @ Drew? I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen.

What if Stafford end up with a goal total in the mid to high 20's. You don't think a GM would throw 30-40 million @ Drew? I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen.

We paid Pominville $26.5 mil. Stafford is more valuable than he as far as I'm concerned. And DR says the idea is to keep the core group who came up together...together. I could see Stafford getting a Pominville-like contract extension or a little more. Don't forget that there seems to be a "brotherhood" going on in that lockerroom. I think some of these guys may have a little pact going to try and win a cup together.

We paid Pominville $26.5 mil. Stafford is more valuable than he as far as I'm concerned. And DR says the idea is to keep the core group who came up together...together. I could see Stafford getting a Pominville-like contract extension or a little more. Don't forget that there seems to be a "brotherhood" going on in that lockerroom. I think some of these guys may have a little pact going to try and win a cup together.

a) No way he comes close to $5.3 million

b) If he did, he's gone umless they can find someone to take Hecht and Tallinder off their hands. They simply don't have the budget room for another $5 million player.

Here we go again. Last year it was Paille that was going to get a $4 million per year offer. No one is going to offer Stafford anywhere near $30 million. He is 4 years away from unrestricted free agency and teams jsut haven't shown the inclination to throw money at young restricted free agents with the obvious exceptions.

In today's economy? I think it's fair this will be a very quiet summer for free agents, especially since the salary cap might drop $3-5 million after the 2009/10 season. Just look at MLB, the list of top level free agents still available with only 2 weeks before pitchers and catchers need to report is unreal. Players won't be getting too much money this summer i don't think and guys like Stafford i don't think will land much of a deal from else where.

Many opinions here that salary cap and economy will adversely effect Drew's market value.

I disagree.

There is always and owner and a team that bucks the trend. If Stafford hits mid-twenties in goals and has a eye-catching playoff performance, someone will be tempted to take a run at him. Assuming he lasts that long...

His trade-value has never been higher than it is right now.

Here we go again. Last year it was Paille that was going to get a $4 million per year offer. No one is going to offer Stafford anywhere near $30 million.

Are you honestly saying that last year at this time, Danny Paille was valued in a similar vein as Drew Stafford is right now. Drew is turning into a franchise type power forward. Danny was just...nice.

Are you honestly saying that last year at this time, Danny Paille was valued in a similar vein as Drew Stafford is right now. Drew is turning into a franchise type power forward. Danny was just...nice.

I never have thought that highly of Paille. He is a decent, albeit inconsistent checking line winger. There were people on this board, however, who were sure he was going to get over $4 million per. You look at the league and who is going to offer Stafford first line money? Most of the spenders have their top lines locked up and no way someone gives Stafford huge money plus gives Buffalo 5 first round draft choices.

Kevin Lowe? Drew's ties to Edmonton...from a comedic standpoint, that would be freakin' awesome.

I just don't see it, but if its Edmonton, I'll take the 5 first round picks.

To be clear, I think Stafford has big upside but unless he goes off the charts and wins the Conn Smythe, he is just not getting even Steve Bernier money this off season.

Holy exaggeration Batman! $40MM?? Not a chance, and not a chance for $30MM either.

Here we go again. Last year it was Paille that was going to get a $4 million per year offer. No one is going to offer Stafford anywhere near $30 million. He is 4 years away from unrestricted free agency and teams jsut haven't shown the inclination to throw money at young restricted free agents with the obvious exceptions.

There we go.

To be clear, I think Stafford has big upside but unless he goes off the charts and wins the Conn Smythe, he is just not getting even Steve Bernier money this off season.

Isn't it 4 first-rounders?

Also -- I can definitely see him getting Bernier money -- i.e. $7.5MM for 3 years. This is about the range I would expect if he finishes the year about as well as he's playing now.

Holy exaggeration Batman! $40MM?? Not a chance, and not a chance for $30MM either.

There we go.

Isn't it 4 first-rounders?

25 23 48

20 27 47

Do you want to know what those numbers are?

Also -- I can definitely see him getting Bernier money -- i.e. $7.5MM for 3 years. This is about the range I would expect if he finishes the year about as well as he's playing now.

Bernier put up 45-45-90 in his first 3 years before getting the contract. Stafford is already at 43-55-98 with games left to play in his 3rd season. I'd say it's a safe assumption that his goals will climb above Bernier's before the end of the year. So statistically, he is a better player than Bernier was at that point. It seems fair to use them as comparibles. I guess we'll have to wait and see if all this economy talk really will deflate deals a bit. But then again, Bernier only got his deal (1 yr, 2.5 million) thanks to St. Louis returning the favor on the Vancouver Backes offer sheet, so who knows if the same could happen with Stafford.

Archived